* pdf file not found
@ 2010-09-10 12:25 Peter Münster
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-09-10 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

Can anybody reproduce the following problem (Taco can't ...):

\startbuffer[pdf-pages]
  \starttext
    page 1 \page page 2
  \stoptext
\stopbuffer
\savebuffer[pdf-pages][pdf-pages.tex]
\executesystemcommand{context pdf-pages; mkdir testdir;
  mv pdf-pages.pdf testdir/2*8.pdf}
\starttext
\setupexternalfigures[directory={./testdir}]
\externalfigure[2*8][page=2]
\stoptext

-> !LuaTeX error: PDF inclusion: required page <2> does not exist

No problem with page=1.

No problem with other name for pdf-file (for example "pdftest.pdf"
instead of "2*8.pdf").

No problem, if pdf-file is in current directory instead of "testdir".

My system is latest minimals on linux-amd64.

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: pdf file not found
@ 2010-09-10 13:37 ` Hongwen Qiu
From: Hongwen Qiu @ 2010-09-10 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

  于 2010年09月10日 20:25, Peter Münster 写道:
> Hello,
>
> Can anybody reproduce the following problem (Taco can't ...):
No problem here.
> \startbuffer[pdf-pages]
>    \starttext
>      page 1 \page page 2
>    \stoptext
> \stopbuffer
> \savebuffer[pdf-pages][pdf-pages.tex]
> \executesystemcommand{context pdf-pages; mkdir testdir;
>    mv pdf-pages.pdf testdir/2*8.pdf}
> \starttext
> \setupexternalfigures[directory={./testdir}]
> \externalfigure[2*8][page=2]
> \stoptext
>
> ->  !LuaTeX error: PDF inclusion: required page<2>  does not exist
>
> No problem with page=1.
>
> No problem with other name for pdf-file (for example "pdftest.pdf"
> instead of "2*8.pdf").
>
> No problem, if pdf-file is in current directory instead of "testdir".
>
> My system is latest minimals on linux-amd64.
Latest minimals on linux i386.
> Cheers, Peter

* Re: pdf file not found
@ 2010-09-10 15:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On 10-9-2010 2:25, Peter Münster wrote:
> \startbuffer[pdf-pages]
>    \starttext
>      page 1 \page page 2
>    \stoptext
> \stopbuffer
> \savebuffer[pdf-pages][pdf-pages.tex]
> \executesystemcommand{context pdf-pages; mkdir testdir;
>    mv pdf-pages.pdf testdir/2*8.pdf}
> \starttext
> \setupexternalfigures[directory={./testdir}]
> \externalfigure[2*8][page=2]
> \stoptext

this works ok here:

\startbuffer[pdf-pages]
   \starttext
     page 1 \page
     page 2 \page
     page 3 \page
   \stoptext
\stopbuffer

\savebuffer[pdf-pages][pdf-pages.tex]

\executesystemcommand{context pdf-pages}
\executesystemcommand{mkdir testdir}
\executesystemcommand{move /Y pdf-pages.pdf testdir/28.pdf}

\starttext
     \setupexternalfigures[directory={./testdir}]
     \externalfigure[28][page=3]
\stoptext

so, no * in the filename

however, you can do this

\starttext

\startbuffer[pdf-pages]
   \starttext
     page 1 \page page 2
   \stoptext
\stopbuffer

\typesetbuffer[pdf-pages][page=2,frame=on]

\stoptext

this has the advantage that when the buffer does not change, you get no
new run either

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pdf file not found
@ 2010-09-10 16:12   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-09-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 10 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> \starttext
>     \setupexternalfigures[directory={./testdir}]
>     \externalfigure[28][page=3]
> \stoptext
>
> so, no * in the filename

Does this mean, that you can reproduce the problem, or not?

I just want to know, how to compile the context manual, see also here:
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/051965.html

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-09-10 16:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-10 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-9-2010 6:12, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> \starttext
>>      \setupexternalfigures[directory={./testdir}]
>>      \externalfigure[28][page=3]
>> \stoptext
>>
>> so, no * in the filename
>
> Does this mean, that you can reproduce the problem, or not?

i get empty pages in the case of a * but that can be simply because a *
might not be in a filename on windows

> I just want to know, how to compile the context manual, see also here:
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/051965.html
>
> Cheers, Peter

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pdf file not found
@ 2010-09-10 19:27       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-09-10 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 10 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> i get empty pages in the case of a * but that can be simply because
> a * might not be in a filename on windows

Ok, I can rename the file.

But I think, the behaviour is so strange, that there is somewhere a hidden
bug.

Strange, because 2*8 is the only file in
http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/arranging
with that problem.

3*8, 5*8, 2*6, 2*7, 2*9  -> ok
1*8, 2*8, 4*8            -> not ok

page=1 -> ok
page=2 -> not ok

file in current directory -> ok
file in ./testdir         -> not ok

linux-32bit -> ok  (reported by Hongwen)
linux-64bit -> not ok

context run by Taco  -> ok
context run by Peter -> not ok :(

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-09-10 19:36         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-10 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> i get empty pages in the case of a * but that can be simply because
>> a * might not be in a filename on windows
>
> Ok, I can rename the file.
>
> But I think, the behaviour is so strange, that there is somewhere a hidden
> bug.
>
> Strange, because 2*8 is the only file in
> http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/arranging
> with that problem.
>
> 3*8, 5*8, 2*6, 2*7, 2*9  -> ok
> 1*8, 2*8, 4*8            -> not ok
>
> page=1 -> ok
> page=2 -> not ok
>
> file in current directory -> ok
> file in ./testdir         -> not ok
>
> linux-32bit -> ok  (reported by Hongwen)
> linux-64bit -> not ok
>
> context run by Taco  -> ok
> context run by Peter -> not ok :(

Strange indeed. You original test file runs perfectly fine here:

$uname -a
Linux .... 2.6.34-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 19 00:07:49 CEST 2010
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

$context --version

MTXrun | main context file:
/opt/context-minimals/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MTXrun | current version: 2010.09.05 13:23

Aditya

* Re: pdf file not found
@ 2010-09-10 19:36         ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-09-10 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 21:27, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> i get empty pages in the case of a * but that can be simply because
>> a * might not be in a filename on windows
>
> Ok, I can rename the file.
>
> But I think, the behaviour is so strange, that there is somewhere a hidden
> bug.
>
> Strange, because 2*8 is the only file in
> http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/arranging
> with that problem.
>
> 3*8, 5*8, 2*6, 2*7, 2*9  -> ok
> 1*8, 2*8, 4*8            -> not ok

Don't like this kind of filename :)

Sorry, can't help.

* Re: pdf file not found (final question)
@ 2010-09-12  6:41 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-09-12  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On Fri, Sep 10 2010, Peter Münster wrote:

> Can anybody reproduce the following problem (Taco can't ...):
>
> \startbuffer[pdf-pages]
>   \starttext
>     page 1 \page page 2
>   \stoptext
> \stopbuffer
> \savebuffer[pdf-pages][pdf-pages.tex]
> \executesystemcommand{context pdf-pages; mkdir testdir;
>   mv pdf-pages.pdf testdir/2*8.pdf}
> \starttext
> \setupexternalfigures[directory={./testdir}]
> \externalfigure[2*8][page=2]
> \stoptext
>
> -> !LuaTeX error: PDF inclusion: required page <2> does not exist
>
> No problem with page=1.
>
> No problem with other name for pdf-file (for example "pdftest.pdf"
> instead of "2*8.pdf").
>
> No problem, if pdf-file is in current directory instead of "testdir".

Hello,

After some further investigation, I've found that the reason for this problem
is a pdf file in my installation:
/opt/context/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/peter/samples/unten-21478.pdf

So please try "o*w" instead of "2*8", and you'll be able to reproduce the
problem!

But there is still a difference:
texmf-local:
  when using "\externalfigure[2*8][page=1]" on my installation, I get really
  the first page of 2*8.pdf and not the "unten-21478.pdf".

texmf-context:
  when using "\externalfigure[o*w][page=1]" you'll get the cow.

So the question is:
- bug?
- or don't ever use "*" in a filename?

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-09-12  7:20   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-09-12  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On 09/12/2010 08:41 AM, Peter Münster wrote:

> So the question is:
> - bug?

Bad unstoppable cmd shell expansion

> - or don't ever use "*" in a filename?

Not on windows, apparently.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: pdf file not found (final question)
@ 2010-09-12 11:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-12 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On 12-9-2010 8:41, Peter Münster wrote:

> - or don't ever use "*" in a filename?

in all our projects we normalize to a-z and a dash, otherwise you always
get into problems esp when graphics come from a third party ... multiple
spaces in names, funny case mixing, underscores not seen on low res
displays, mismatches between source and real names, ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-09-12 13:10     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-09-12 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 12 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 12-9-2010 8:41, Peter Münster wrote:
>
> >- or don't ever use "*" in a filename?
>
> in all our projects we normalize to a-z and a dash, otherwise you
> always get into problems esp when graphics come from a third party
> ... multiple spaces in names, funny case mixing, underscores not
> seen on low res displays, mismatches between source and real names,

I totally agree. In my own projects I do the same. The question is rather: is
context supposed to support the "*" in filenames, or not.

If yes, context must be enhanced somewhere.
If no, I can add something to the context manual.
And it would be nice, if there was a clear error message. It was really not
obvious to me, that some file in my local tree was the reason for

@ 2010-09-12 16:22       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-12 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-9-2010 3:10, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 12-9-2010 8:41, Peter Münster wrote:
>>
>>> - or don't ever use "*" in a filename?
>>
>> in all our projects we normalize to a-z and a dash, otherwise you
>> always get into problems esp when graphics come from a third party
>> ... multiple spaces in names, funny case mixing, underscores not
>> seen on low res displays, mismatches between source and real names,
>
> I totally agree. In my own projects I do the same. The question is rather: is
> context supposed to support the "*" in filenames, or not.

it depends ... in some places I process patterns and then the * is
special in lua so for the moment consider '*' and '?' and such are 'not
to be used in filenames'

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE