* A few puzzling problems (bugs?) with enumerations
@ 2010-10-13 10:08 Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-10-13 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

using the latest beta, I've had a bunch of problems using enumerations
in mkiv. Earlier betas have had the same problems. Consider the
following document:

\defineenumeration
  [definition]
  [    text=Definition,
      title=yes,
       list=all,
   listtext={Definition }]

\defineenumeration
  [theorem]
  [    text=Theorem,
      title=yes,
      style=italic,
       list=all,
     number=definition,
   listtext={Theorem }]

\defineenumeration
  [proof]
  [       text=Proof,
        number=no,
     headstyle=italic,
         title=no,
   closesymbol={\mathematics{\square}},
         style=normal]

\starttext

blah blah

\startdefinition{foo}
  body1
\stopdefinition

\startdefinition
  body2
\stopdefinition

\startdefinition[-]
  body3
\stopdefinition

\starttheorem
  $P = NP$
\stoptheorem
\startproof
  too long to fit here.
\stopproof

\section{Inside sections}

\subsection{Inside subsections}

\startdefinition{foo}
  body1
\stopdefinition

\startdefinition
  body2
\stopdefinition

\startdefinition[-]
  body3
\stopdefinition

\starttheorem[thm:pnp]
  $P = NP$
\stoptheorem
\startproof
  too long to fit here.
\stopproof

Let's talk about \in{theorem}[thm:pnp].

\stoptext

I see five problems :

1. Even when the enumeration has no title, the parentheses appear.
Judging by Aditya's code in his MyWay on theorems, it used to be that
when there is no title, the parens don't appear. How do I recover this
behaviour?

2. I want the "theorem" enumeration to share its number with the
"definition" environment. That doesn't seem to work. Outside of any
section, the theorem just doesn't have any number. Inside a section,
the theorem very oddly displays the section number.

3. I want the "proof" enumeration to have no number.  That doesn't
work inside a section. As for the "theorem" enumeration, the section
number is printed even though here i requested no number at all!

4. Suppressing the number for a specific enumeration using the [-]
switch doesn't work. As before, inside a section, the section number
appears instead of no number.

5. Citing a specific theorem using \in{theorem}[thm:pnp] doesn't show
the number of a theorem.

I'm guessing the last four points are all related.

Best regards,

Mathieu

* Re: A few puzzling problems (bugs?) with enumerations
@ 2010-10-13 10:57 ` Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-10-13 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also, I notice that the context reference manual from the svn
repository at supelec has the same problem when built with the latest
beta (p 241).

-- Mathieu

@ 2010-10-15  8:20   ` Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-10-15  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok so after reading the source code of strc-des.mkiv, I found that
contrary to earlier documentation such as

http://www.ntg.nl/maps/36/09.pdf

it is not the 'number' parameter that should be used to share
numbering but the 'counter' parameter. After fixing that in my code,
theorems now have proper numbers and references to theorems work
properly too. However,

\starttheorem[number=no]
  blah
\stoptheorem

and

\starttheorem[-]
  blih
\stoptheorem

still don't work as expected inside sections, and I still have problem
1 listed in one of my previous emails, namely

Any ideas?

On a sidenote, I would like to contribute to the wiki or whatever is
the main documentation source of the ConTeXt project something to
document those parameters that are specific de \setupenumerations. The
context reference manual and the wiki both just refer to
\setupdescriptions yet there are a number of parameters that don't
exist for \setupdescriptions, such as number, counter, prefix,
prefixcomponents, etc.

Many thanks,

Mathieu

@ 2010-10-15 11:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-15 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.10.2010 um 10:20 schrieb Mathieu Boespflug:

> Ok so after reading the source code of strc-des.mkiv, I found that
> contrary to earlier documentation such as
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/maps/36/09.pdf
>
> it is not the 'number' parameter that should be used to share
> numbering but the 'counter' parameter. After fixing that in my code,
> theorems now have proper numbers and references to theorems work
> properly too.

\unprotected\def\doenumerationextratext
  {\doif{\descriptionparameter\c!title}\v!yes
     {\doifsomething\@@dodoenumerationtext % WS: added this test
        {\begingroup
         \dosetdescriptionattributes\c!titlestyle\c!titlecolor
         \hskip\descriptionparameter\c!titledistance
         \descriptionparameter\c!titlecommand
            {\descriptionparameter\c!titleleft
             \begstrut\@@dodoenumerationtext\endstrut
             \descriptionparameter\c!titleright}%
         \endgroup}}}

\unprotected\def\doenumerationfullnumber#1% text, title
  {\begingroup
   \dosetdescriptionattributes\c!headstyle\c!headcolor
   \the\everyenumeration
  %\descriptionparameter\c!command{\strut#1\doenumerationnumber\doenumerationextratext}%
   \descriptionparameter\c!command{\strut#1\ifconditional\enumerationnumberenabled\doenumerationnumber\fi\doenumerationextratext}%
   \endgroup}

Wolfgang

* Re: A few puzzling problems (bugs?) with enumerations
@ 2010-10-15 14:39       ` Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-10-15 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, thank you very much for your fix, Wolfgang! I can confirm that it
works. I hope this fix makes it into the next beta?

Abount documenting these extra parameters that \setupenumerations has
over \setupdefinitions, I figure that I should contribute that to the
wiki. But I wonder, how does this kind of user generated documentation
on the wiki get synchronized with the ConTeXt Reference manual hosted
at Supelec?

-- Mathieu

@ 2010-10-15 15:09         ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-10-15 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But I wonder, how does this kind of user generated documentation
> on the wiki get synchronized with the ConTeXt Reference manual hosted
> at Supelec?

  How do you think?  There are little dwarves collecting the data and doing semantic analysis on it in order to update the reference manual periodically (every hour during business days, every third hours on week-ends and holidays, and once a day when the griffins are on strike protesting about their retirement plan).

  Seriously, it is manually edited, which is the only way to make a consistent document.  For several years, there has been one single person writing it, namely Taco, and very few proofreaders, despite his repeated requests for feedback.  This makes any progress verry difficult.  And Taco is more of the elven kind anyway.

    Arthur

* Re: A few puzzling problems (bugs?) with enumerations
@ 2010-10-16  0:29     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-16  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Mathieu Boespflug wrote:

> Ok so after reading the source code of strc-des.mkiv, I found that
> contrary to earlier documentation such as
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/maps/36/09.pdf
>
> it is not the 'number' parameter that should be used to share
> numbering but the 'counter' parameter.

Partly my fault. I requested some of the features that are in that article
but haven't really tested them in MkIV.

> On a sidenote, I would like to contribute to the wiki or whatever is
> the main documentation source of the ConTeXt project something to
> document those parameters that are specific de \setupenumerations. The
> context reference manual and the wiki both just refer to
> \setupdescriptions yet there are a number of parameters that don't
> exist for \setupdescriptions, such as number, counter, prefix,
> prefixcomponents, etc.

Adding the missing options to the wiki is a good start. Currently, there
is no syncing between the wiki and the cont-en.xml file (in
texmf-context/tex/context/interface) that was used to generate that
content. You could simulaneously add the appropriate keys to cont-en.xml
and send the diff file to Hans. (There were plans to reimplement that in
lua, but I do not know what is the current state of it).

It will be nice to have a comprehensive wiki page on enumerations.

Aditya

* Re: A few puzzling problems (bugs?) with enumerations
@ 2010-10-16  6:48       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-10-16  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 15 2010, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> cont-en.xml and send the diff file to Hans. (There were plans to
> reimplement that in lua, but I do not know what is the current state
> of it).

Early beginning stage. See also:
http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/contextman/context-commands
Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: A few puzzling problems (bugs?) with enumerations
@ 2010-10-16  8:59       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-16  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-10-2010 2:29, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> content. You could simulaneously add the appropriate keys to cont-en.xml
> and send the diff file to Hans. (There were plans to reimplement that in
> lua, but I do not know what is the current state of it).

definitely not soon and the xml file will stay around anyway

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE