* Scaling of setminus in xits
@ 2010-10-28 22:12 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-28 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

\setminus does not scale properly in xits. I am not sure if it is a bug in
the font or in ConTeXt.

\setupbodyfont[xits]
\starttext
$A \setminus B$
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: Scaling of setminus in xits
@ 2010-10-28 22:21 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-10-28 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 06:12:10PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> \setminus does not scale properly in xits. I am not sure if it is a
> bug in the font or in ConTeXt.
>
> \setupbodyfont[xits]
> \starttext
> $A \setminus B$
> \stoptext

I don't have larger variants of that glyph, so it is not set to scale.
If you can find larger glyphs in STIX, I'll use that, but right now all
those slash/backslash-like glyphs confuse me (and STIX seems to have
wired shapes compared to similar glyphs in other fonts).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Scaling of setminus in xits
@ 2010-10-28 23:09   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-28 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 06:12:10PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> \setminus does not scale properly in xits. I am not sure if it is a
>> bug in the font or in ConTeXt.
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[xits]
>> \starttext
>> $A \setminus B$
>> \stoptext
>
> I don't have larger variants of that glyph, so it is not set to scale.
> If you can find larger glyphs in STIX, I'll use that, but right now all
> those slash/backslash-like glyphs confuse me (and STIX seems to have
> wired shapes compared to similar glyphs in other fonts).

It should not scale, but the default size is too small. Compare the size
of \setminus in xtis from that in cambria or even LM. Just going by the
glyph table at stix site, set minus should correspond to glyph 3991 in
STIXGeneral.otf. I do not know how to view that glyph, so do not know if
xtis uses the right glyph or not.

@ 2010-10-28 23:33     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-10-28 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 07:09:45PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 06:12:10PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>\setminus does not scale properly in xits. I am not sure if it is a
> >>bug in the font or in ConTeXt.
> >>
> >>\setupbodyfont[xits]
> >>\starttext
> >>$A \setminus B$
> >>\stoptext
> >
> >I don't have larger variants of that glyph, so it is not set to scale.
> >If you can find larger glyphs in STIX, I'll use that, but right now all
> >those slash/backslash-like glyphs confuse me (and STIX seems to have
> >wired shapes compared to similar glyphs in other fonts).
>
> It should not scale, but the default size is too small. Compare the
> size of \setminus in xtis from that in cambria or even LM.

Yes, that what I meant by wired shapes (the slants are sometimes
different from similar slashes in other fonts).

> Just
> going by the glyph table at stix site, set minus should correspond
> to glyph 3991 in STIXGeneral.otf. I do not know how to view that
> glyph, so do not know if xtis uses the right glyph or not.

If you search for 02216 glyph, you will see there is a variant glyph in
STIXVar.otf, if you think that variant should be the default I can do
that and make the current one available as an optional glyph variant (I
think I should check the rest of the STIXVar.otf font too, it was on my
todo for a while now).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Scaling of setminus in xits
@ 2010-10-28 23:46       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-28 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>> Just
>> going by the glyph table at stix site, set minus should correspond
>> to glyph 3991 in STIXGeneral.otf. I do not know how to view that
>> glyph, so do not know if xtis uses the right glyph or not.
>
> If you search for 02216 glyph, you will see there is a variant glyph in
> STIXVar.otf, if you think that variant should be the default I can do
> that and make the current one available as an optional glyph variant (I
> think I should check the rest of the STIXVar.otf font too, it was on my
> todo for a while now).

Dumb question, but how do I check a specific glyph in a font. I tried

\getglyph{STIXGeneral.otf}{\char2216}

and
\font\STIX=STIXGeneral.otf
\STIX \char2216

but both of them give a blank character.

@ 2010-10-29  8:49         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-29  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-10-2010 1:46, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>>> Just
>>> going by the glyph table at stix site, set minus should correspond
>>> to glyph 3991 in STIXGeneral.otf. I do not know how to view that
>>> glyph, so do not know if xtis uses the right glyph or not.
>>
>> If you search for 02216 glyph, you will see there is a variant glyph in
>> STIXVar.otf, if you think that variant should be the default I can do
>> that and make the current one available as an optional glyph variant (I
>> think I should check the rest of the STIXVar.otf font too, it was on my
>> todo for a while now).
>
> Dumb question, but how do I check a specific glyph in a font. I tried
>
> \getglyph{STIXGeneral.otf}{\char2216}
>
> and
> \font\STIX=STIXGeneral.otf
> \STIX \char2216
>
> but both of them give a blank character.

\STIX \fontchar{unicode slot or glyphname}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-10-29 12:55         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-29 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.10.2010 um 01:46 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> Dumb question, but how do I check a specific glyph in a font. I tried
>
> \getglyph{STIXGeneral.otf}{\char2216}
>
> and
> \font\STIX=STIXGeneral.otf
> \STIX \char2216
>
> but both of them give a blank character.

Use hex numbers:

\starttext
\definedfont[file:STIXGeneral.otf]\char"2216
\definedfont[file:STIXVar.otf]\char"2216
\stoptext

Wolfgang