* Interesting package for XeTeX
@ 2010-12-21 17:37 Thomas Schmitz
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2010-12-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

on ctt, I just saw an annoucement for a xe(la)tex package
which I found quite interesting. Here's the description:

Location on CTAN: /macros/xetex/latex/ucharclasses

This package addresses one of the few features where TeX
still has to play catch-up to
word processing programs: automatic font switching for
different languages. In fact, it
goes one better than word processing programs and comes
with macros for inserting
arbitrary code between text from different unicode blocks,
by making use of XeTeX's little
known "intercharclass" behaviour.

I was wondering: is something similar possible in mkiv
yet? I know that with the font fallback mechanism, it's
trivial to change fonts for unicode ranges, but is it
possible to change hyphenation patterns (or even insert
"arbitrary code") according to unicode blocks? Would be
quite helpful for those of us working with different
scripts.

All best

Thomas