* Re: notes in the margin
@ 2019-10-04  1:32 Andres Conrado Montoya
From: Andres Conrado Montoya @ 2019-10-04  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been tinkering with this problem. It's kind of frustrating not having
a right solution for this.
After trying and failing to the last solution published by Hraban on
2018-02-12, I tried to implement my own approach, from the other way
around, I mean: not trying to implement notes as marginal material, but to
implement the *marginalia* as some type of notes. A different type, apart
from footnotes, with their own counter, etc.

Below, a MWE, with some caveats:.
1. This is a poor quality hack. I'm not a developer.
2. If notes are too long, they clash with each other. I tried to understand
the options that would allow me to move them up or down, according to the
Wiki (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/inmargin), but they don't seem
to do anything, or I don't understand how to work with them. But if there
is actually a way to manually instruct \inmargin to move up or down, it
should be easy to make it work as an optional third argument, for example.
3. The counter introduces some horizontal space that I cant manage to
remove except by introducing manual negative \hspace. The MWE doesn't
include that space, to display the isse.
4.  There are probably a ton of issues I have not thought about, but this
seems to work for this project I'm working on, at least.

%%%%%%%%%%% Start MWE

\setuplayout[
    topspace=0.722in,
    header=0.311in,
    footer=0.622in,
    width=4.211in,
    height=9.622in,
    backspace=1.311in,
    rightmargin=1.8in,
    margindistance=24pt
]
\definecounter[marginales][way=bytext,prefix=no]
\def\romanMarginales{\convertnumber{r}{\rawcountervalue[marginales]}}
\def\marginal{\dosingleempty\doMarginal}
\def\doMarginal[#1]#2{%
  \incrementnumber[marginales]
  \iffirstargument
    \high{\romanMarginales}\inouter[#1]{\romanMarginales.\ #2}
  \else
    \high{\romanMarginales}\inouter{\romanMarginales.\ #2}
  \fi
}

\starttext
\dorecurse{6}{\input weisman And so on, and so on\marginal{This is a test,
with some words and some more words.}.\par \input thuan\par}
\stoptext

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Stop MWE

Andrés Conrado Montoya
Andi Kú
andresconrado@gmail.com
http://sesentaycuatro.com
http://messier87.com
http://chiquitico.org
Los fines no justifican los medios, porque la medida verdadera de nuestro
carácter está dada por los medios que estamos dispuestos a utilizar, no por
los fines que proclamamos.

“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an
intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do
something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look
so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag
him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a
bitch.’” — Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell

* Re: notes in the margin
@ 2019-10-04  7:57 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-10-04  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andres,
I have a working solution and another approach by Wolfgang:

This is not a MWE, and it contains probably a lot of unnecessary stuff.
Since Hans fixed some problems since, it might have become much easier.
E.g. I seldom need my FNVOffset correction any more.

% I thought I could setup those two together, but it didn’t work
\setupmargindata[inmargin][
  location=right,
  stack=continue,
  align=flushright,
  style={\switchtobodyfont[6pt]},
]
\setupmargindata[inouter][
  location=right,
  stack=continue,
  align=flushright,
  style={\switchtobodyfont[6pt]},
]

\def\FNVOffset{0} % Negative vertical offset of footnotes in lines
% Redefine this as necessary (e.g. if long footnotes overflow into the footer)

\def\MarginNote#1{%
\inmargin[
  voffset=\dimexpr-\FNVOffset\lineheight\relax,
  width=\ColWidth,
  align=flushleft,
]{%
  \inframed[
    width=\ColWidth,
    align=right,
    frame=off,
    offset=overlay,
    strut=yes,
    ]{#1}%
  }%
}

\define\PlaceFootnote{%
\inmargin[
  voffset=\dimexpr-\FNVOffset\lineheight\relax,
  width=\ColWidth,
]{%
  \vtop{\switchtobodyfont[6pt]\placelocalnotes[footnote][before=,after=]}}%
}

\def\FNo#1{{#1~}} %\crlf\gobblespacetokens}}
% Distance/glue after number or before note text never disappears :(

\setupnote[footnote][
  location=text,
  bodyfont=,
  indenting=no,
  before={\noindentation},
  next=\PlaceFootnote,
]

\setupnotation[footnote][
	way=bychapter,
	align=flushleft,
  indenting=no,
  location=serried,
  alternative=serried,
  width=broad,
  numbercommand=\FNo,
] % footnote text

\setuptexttexts[margin][][%
  {\framed[
    align={flushright,bottom},
    frame=off,
    height=\textheight,
    width=\ColWidth,
  ]{%
    \strut\vfill\switchtobodyfont[6pt]}}%
]

%%%%
% different approach:
\definecounter[Mnote][way=bychapter,prefix=no]
\def\mnote#1{%
  \incrementcounter[Mnote]%
  \high{\color[mnotemark]{\convertedcounter[Mnote]}}%
  \inouter{{%
    \FootnoteFont%
    \color[mnotemark]{\convertedcounter[Mnote]}\crlf #1\blank[yes]}}%
}
%%%%%

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

       [not found] <4DE085F0-68F9-4441-BC06-FCFA33F4AE21@fiee.net>
@ 2018-02-12 11:49 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-02-12 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahoi,
I’m still working on this issue.

For the usual cases, the current mechanism is good (see attachment).

* I gave up on the number placement in its own line (without text indent).

* Footnotes in captions mostly disappear.

* Footnotes in captions or other boxed environments (chapter title in my case) get misplaced, e.g. if a figure is narrower than \textwidth, the margin note is moved into the textarea by the difference.

\startplacefigure[location=here,title={Some caption\footnote{Source of the image. This disappeares or gets misplaced}}]
\externalfigure[cow]%[width=.8\textwidth]
\placelocalfootnotes % doesn’t change anything
\stopplacefigure

* Further, in some cases it would be good to move the margin note by a few lines higher or lower.
 \inmargin has this first parameter: "+ - low" in reference, e.g. \inmargin [method=first,voffset=-6pt] in source typo-mar.mkiv)
 I just need a way to transfer this option through \footnote: I used a global definition that I redefine where I need it:

\def\FNVOffset{0} % vertical shift of footnotes in negative lines
% this is unclean, but works quite well

\define\PlaceFootnote%
 {\inmargin[voffset=\dimexpr-\FNVOffset\lineheight\relax]{\vtop{\placelocalnotes[footnote][before=,after=]}}}
\def\FNo#1{{\ss\tfx #1}}

\setupnote[footnote]
 [location=text,
  bodyfont=,
  indenting=no,
  before={\noindent},
  next=\PlaceFootnote]
\setupnotation[footnote][
   way=bychapter,
   align=flushleft,
   style={\ss\tfx},
   indenting=no,
   location=serried,
   alternative=serried,
   width=broad,
   numbercommand=\FNo,
]
\setuptexttexts[margin][]
   [{\framed[
     align={flushleft,bottom},
     frame=off,
     height=\textheight,
     width=\rightmarginwidth]{%
     \strut\vfill\placenotes[footnote]}}]

\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,stack=continue,align=flushleft,style={\ss\tfx}]
\setupmargindata[inouter][location=outer,stack=continue,align=flushleft,style={\ss\tfx}]

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

[-- Attachment #2: sidenotetest.tex --]

%
\usemodule[visual]
\setuplayout[
    location=doublesided,
    width=12cm,
    rightmargindistance=0.5cm,
    rightmargin=5cm]

\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,stack=continue,align=flushright]
\setupmargindata[inouter][location=outer,stack=continue,align=flushright,style={\ss\tfx}]

\def\FNVOffset{0} % Negative vertical offset of footnotes [lines]

[...]

    \ss\tfx%
    \color[mnotemark]{\convertedcounter[Mnote]}\crlf #1\blank[yes]}}%
}

\starttext

\dorecurse{2}{
  \startchapter[title={C \fakewords{2}{10}}]

    \dorecurse{10}{
    \startsection[title={\fakewords{1}{10} S\recurselevel\footnote{\fakewords{3}{20}}}]
      \fakewords{10}{100})\footnote{\fakewords{3}{50}FN}
      \fakewords{10}{100}\footnote{\fakewords{3}{50}FN}

      \startplacefigure[location=here,
      title={\fakewords{2}{10}\footnote{\color[red]{\fakewords{3}{50}CN}}}]
      \fakeimage{3cm}{8cm}{5cm}{20cm}
      %\fakeimage{0.5\textwidth}{\textwidth}{5\lineheight}{20\lineheight}
      \stopplacefigure

      \fakewords{10}{100}

    \stopsection}

  \stopchapter}

\stoptext

* Re: notes in the margin
@ 2018-01-23 21:01     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-01-23 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

These issues are still open, I attached my current test file.

1)
There’s always space/indent in front of the note text, I’d like to get rid of that.
Notes should look like:

texttext text
texttext12 text   12
text texttext     Some remarks

But at the moment they’re like:

texttext text
texttext12 text   12
text texttext     __Some remarks

2)
If there is a possibility to influence the page breaking algorithm for notes, I’d like to know about that.
Stacking works nicely most of the time, but I have a few pages where the notes don’t fit.
The only option I know of is \adaptlayout to move lines of the main text. Something similar for note lines would be nice.

Another possibility would be to have some (very long) notes as footnotes instead of margin notes.
Is it possible to switch placement but keep the numbering? Maybe via different note setups and manually setting the counter?

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net

Am 2017-10-24 um 09:54 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

> Am 2017-04-09 um 21:46 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:
>
>>> Henning Hraban Ramm 30. März 2017 um 10:30
>>> While I’m still waiting for answers to my other questions, I got some more:
>>>
>>> In my layout, left margin width is zero, but \inmargin always uses left margin.
>>> I didn’t find a setup to change that – should \setupmargindata[location=right] do the trick? (it doesn’t, also not with left)
>>>
>>> Further I’d like to place "foot"notes into the margin.
>>> It works like this:
>>>
>>> \setupnote[footnote][location=none]
>>> \setupnotation[footnote][
>>> align=flushleft,
>>> location=serried,
>>> width=broad,
>>> ]
>>> \setuptexttexts[margin][]
>>> [{\framed[%
>>> align=right,
>>> frame=off,
>>> height=\textheight,
>>> width=\rightmarginwidth
>>> ]{\placenotes[footnote]}}]
>>>
>>> But I’d like the notes to start in the line of the marker, if there’s space.
>>> How can I achieve that?
>> The only way I found to achieve this is by flushing the notes at the end of each footnote
>> entry which can be done with the next key. The positioning of each margin text is tricky
>> because \placenotes adds skips at the begin of the block (which can be reduced with
>> \placelocalnotes) but a inline version of the command (e.g. \placeinlinenotes) which
>> flushes the notes without vertical skips and a rule at the begin would help.
>>
>> \define\PlaceFootnote
>>  {\inrightmargin{\vtop{\placelocalnotes[footnote][before=,after=]}}}
>>
>> \setupnote
>>  [footnote]
>>  [location=text,
>>   bodyfont=,
>>   next=\PlaceFootnote]
>>
>> \setupnotation
>>  [footnote]
>>  [alternative=serried]
>>
>> \setuplayout
>>  [width=12cm,
>>   rightmargindistance=0.5cm,
>>   rightmargin=5cm]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \dorecurse{6}{\input ward\expanded{\footnote{This is a footnote \recurselevel}} }
>> \stoptext
>
> Oh, seems like I didn’t answer to that, sorry.
>
> Thank you very much, this solves my problem for the most part.
>
> Coming back to this now, since I completed my previous book project (with the register issues) and attacking the next one (that needs those numbered marginal notes).
>
> It would be nice if we had a solution how those notes won’t collide; is there some trick how I can shift a note up or down manually?
>
> Additionally, since my note number gets its own line, I’d like to get rid of the indenting, but couldn’t find the right parameter.
> This setup adds to Wolfgang’s:
>
> \def\FNo#1{#1\crlf}
>
> \setupnotation
>  [footnote]
>  [alternative=serried,
>  width=broad,
>  align=flushleft,
>  numbercommand=\FNo]
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

[-- Attachment #2: sidenotetest.tex --]

%
\usemodule[visual]
\setuplayout[
    location=doublesided,
    width=12cm,
    rightmargindistance=0.5cm,
    rightmargin=5cm]

\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,stack=continue]
\setupmargindata[inouter][location=outer,stack=continue]

\define\PlaceFootnote
  {\inmargin{\vtop{\placelocalnotes[footnote][before=,after=]}}}
\def\FNo#1{{\ss\tfx #1\crlf}} % Abstand geht nicht weg!?

\setupnote[footnote]
  [location=text,
   bodyfont=,
   indenting=no,
   before={\noindent},
   next=\PlaceFootnote]
\setupnotation[footnote][
	way=bychapter,
	align=flushleft,
    style={\ss\tfx},
    indenting=no,
    location=serried,
    alternative=serried,
    width=broad,
    numbercommand=\FNo,
] % Fußnotentext
\setuptexttexts[margin][]
    [{\framed[
      align={right,bottom},
      frame=off,
      height=\textheight,
      width=\rightmarginwidth]{%
      \strut\vfill\placenotes[footnote]}}]

\starttext

\dorecurse{2}{
  \startchapter[title={C \fakewords{2}{10}}]

    \dorecurse{10}{
    \startsection[title={S \fakewords{1}{10} \recurselevel}]
      \fakewords{10}{100})\footnote{F \fakewords{3}{50}}

@ 2017-10-24  7:54   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-10-24  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-04-09 19:46 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2017-04-09 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Henning Hraban Ramm <mailto:texml@fiee.net>
> 30. März 2017 um 10:30
> While I’m still waiting for answers to my other questions, I got some
> more:
>
> In my layout, left margin width is zero, but \inmargin always uses
> left margin.
> I didn’t find a setup to change that – should
> \setupmargindata[location=right] do the trick? (it doesn’t, also not
> with left)
>
> Further I’d like to place "foot"notes into the margin.
> It works like this:
>
> \setupnote[footnote][location=none]
> \setupnotation[footnote][
> align=flushleft,
> location=serried,
> width=broad,
> ]
> \setuptexttexts[margin][]
> [{\framed[%
> align=right,
> frame=off,
> height=\textheight,
> width=\rightmarginwidth
> ]{\placenotes[footnote]}}]
>
> But I’d like the notes to start in the line of the marker, if there’s
> space.
> How can I achieve that?
The only way I found to achieve this is by flushing the notes at the end
of each footnote
entry which can be done with the next key. The positioning of each
margin text is tricky
because \placenotes adds skips at the begin of the block (which can be
reduced with
\placelocalnotes) but a inline version of the command (e.g.
\placeinlinenotes) which
flushes the notes without vertical skips and a rule at the begin would help.

\define\PlaceFootnote
   {\inrightmargin{\vtop{\placelocalnotes[footnote][before=,after=]}}}

\setupnote
   [footnote]
   [location=text,
    bodyfont=,
    next=\PlaceFootnote]

\setupnotation
   [footnote]
   [alternative=serried]

\setuplayout
   [width=12cm,
    rightmargindistance=0.5cm,
    rightmargin=5cm]

\starttext
\dorecurse{6}{\input ward\expanded{\footnote{This is a footnote
\recurselevel}} }
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: notes in the margin
@ 2017-04-09 11:05       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-04-09 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/08/2017 07:01 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2017-04-05 um 20:42 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez:
>> doesn’t \setupmargindata[inmargin][location=right] do the trick?
>
> No, but \setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer]

Hi Hraban,

since your layout had left margin width set to zero, I recommended
[location=right].

Glad to read it helped.

> The notes collide with my moved "foot"notes, but I wasn’t planning to
> use both anyway.

Even if there were no collision, I guess that using the same margin for
both notes would be misleading.

>> But I guess that this may be implemented (if Hans agrees) with
>> \setupnote[location=margin].
>
> That would be very nice.

I guess Hans won’t be able to take a look until ConTeXt and LuaTeX are
released for TeX Live 2017.

> I guess the stacking mechanism from \inmargin could be reused, so
> that the notes start at the same height as the footnote marker, if
> there is enough space.
>
> I don’t understand the code – is this in page-one.mkiv?

Which code? The file you mention is all Greek to me.

> Or should I try to use marginblocks (page-mbk.mvi) or margindata
> (typo-mar.mkiv)?

I don’t know, but both mechanisms aren’t able to split content between
pages:

    \setupmarginblocks[width=.8\rightmarginwidth]
    \starttext
    \dorecurse{5}{\input zapf
        \startmarginblock\input knuth\stopmarginblock}
    \stoptext

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: notes in the margin
@ 2017-04-08 17:01     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-04-08 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2017-04-05 um 20:42 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>:

> On 04/04/2017 10:27 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>> In my layout, left margin width is zero, but \inmargin always uses left margin.
>> Ok, I can use \inouter.
>
> doesn’t \setupmargindata[inmargin][location=right] do the trick?

No, but \setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer]

Thank you! ;)

The notes collide with my moved "foot"notes, but I wasn’t planning to use both anyway.

>>> Further I’d like to place "foot"notes into the margin.
>>> It works like this:
>>
>> "it works" means: The footnotes are placed in the margin, but collected at the bottom, like normal footnotes.
>> I’d like numbered marginals.
>
> Sorry, my ConTeXt ignorance cannot deal with that.
>
> But I guess that this may be implemented (if Hans agrees) with
> \setupnote[location=margin].

That would be very nice.

@ 2017-04-05 18:42   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-04-05 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/04/2017 10:27 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Bump. I’d really appreciate answers, since my next project depends on it. Thank you.
>
> Am 2017-03-30 um 10:30 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>
>> While I’m still waiting for answers to my other questions, I got some more:
>>
>> In my layout, left margin width is zero, but \inmargin always uses left margin.
>
> Ok, I can use \inouter.

Hi Hraban,

doesn’t \setupmargindata[inmargin][location=right] do the trick?

>> I didn’t find a setup to change that – should \setupmargindata[location=right] do the trick? (it doesn’t, also not with left)
>>
>> Further I’d like to place "foot"notes into the margin.
>> It works like this:
>
> "it works" means: The footnotes are placed in the margin, but collected at the bottom, like normal footnotes.
> I’d like numbered marginals.

Sorry, my ConTeXt ignorance cannot deal with that.

But I guess that this may be implemented (if Hans agrees) with
\setupnote[location=margin].

I thought something similar about notes, but I didn’t dare to mention
it, since I had other issues first and Hans seems to be especially busy
these days.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: notes in the margin
@ 2017-04-04  8:27 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-04-04  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bump. I’d really appreciate answers, since my next project depends on it. Thank you.

Am 2017-03-30 um 10:30 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

> While I’m still waiting for answers to my other questions, I got some more:
>
> In my layout, left margin width is zero, but \inmargin always uses left margin.

Ok, I can use \inouter.

> I didn’t find a setup to change that – should \setupmargindata[location=right] do the trick? (it doesn’t, also not with left)
>
> Further I’d like to place "foot"notes into the margin.
> It works like this:

"it works" means: The footnotes are placed in the margin, but collected at the bottom, like normal footnotes.
I’d like numbered marginals.

> \setupnote[footnote][location=none]
> \setupnotation[footnote][
>    align=flushleft,
>    location=serried,
>    width=broad,
> ]
> \setuptexttexts[margin][]
> [{\framed[%
>    align=right,
>    frame=off,
>    height=\textheight,
>    width=\rightmarginwidth
> ]{\placenotes[footnote]}}]
>
> But I’d like the notes to start in the line of the marker, if there’s space.
> How can I achieve that?
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* notes in the margin
@ 2017-03-30  8:30 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-03-30  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-12-21 22:51   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2001-12-21 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Am Freitag, 21. Dezember 2001 18:52 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> you can use local footnotes (see core-not.tex) and flush the notes
> manually.

Good idea. I'll try.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: Notes in the Margin
@ 2001-12-21 17:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-21 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

footnotes in margin ...

you can use local footnotes (see core-not.tex) and flush the notes manually.

some day soon i will provide a per page hook for footnote placement (no big
deal actually, but in that case in need to tweek a couple of macros.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Notes in the Margin
@ 2001-12-20 22:54 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2001-12-20 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heigh ho!

I'd like to set some "foot"notes in the margin. Is that possible?