* How to get graph module (metapost) to work with ConTeXt minimals?
@ 2010-12-30 10:07 Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-30 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

This might not be the right place to ask this question, but want to give
it a try anyway!

I've installed the ConTeXt minimals (Mark IV!) recently, and running the
command:

  context --version

yields the following output:

  MTXrun | current version: 2010.07.30 11:35

Now I want to generate a few plots using the graph-module (by John D.
Hobby) of MetaPost, which I used in the past to make high-quality plots.
But when I add the following statement:

  input graph ;

to the preamble of my MetaPost file and run the command:

  mpost plot.mp

The run aborts with the following messages:

 >> texnum.mp
 >> texnum.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.17 init_numbers(btex
                      $-$etex, btex$1$etex, btex${\times}10$etex,
Transcript written on texnum.log.
TeXExec | processing graphic 'texnum.mpx'
TeXExec | runtime: 1.547143

 >> texnum.mp
 >> texnum.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.17 init_numbers(btex
                      $-$etex, btex$1$etex, btex${\times}10$etex,
Transcript written on plot.log.

So where to go from here? Do I need to install additional TeX related
stuff to get it working? Anybody any suggestions, please? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gerard Verhaag

P.S.

By the way, if I use MetaPost within ConTeXt using:

\loadmarkfile{m-graph}

\starttext
 \startMPcode
            .
    /[MetaPost code]
               .
/ \stopMPcode
\stoptext

than everything works just fine!

* Re: How to get graph module (metapost) to work with ConTeXt minimals?
@ 2010-12-30 12:03 ` Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
From: Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz @ 2010-12-30 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <4D1C59EF.3080403@ziggo.nl>, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might not be the right place to ask this question, but want to give
> it a try anyway!
>
> I've installed the ConTeXt minimals (Mark IV!) recently, and running the
> command:
>
>   context --version
>
> yields the following output:

>   MTXrun | current version: 2010.07.30 11:35
>
> Now I want to generate a few plots using the graph-module (by John D.
> Hobby) of MetaPost, which I used in the past to make high-quality plots.
> But when I add the following statement:
>
>   input graph ;
>
> to the preamble of my MetaPost file and run the command:
>
>   mpost plot.mp
>
> The run aborts with the following messages:
>
> >> texnum.mp
> >> texnum.mpx
> ! Unable to make mpx file.
> l.17 init_numbers(btex
>                       $-$etex, btex$1$etex, btex${\times}10$etex,
> Transcript written on texnum.log.
> TeXExec | processing graphic 'texnum.mpx'
> TeXExec | runtime: 1.547143
>

> >> texnum.mp
> >> texnum.mpx
> ! Unable to make mpx file.
> l.17 init_numbers(btex
>                       $-$etex, btex$1$etex, btex${\times}10$etex,
> Transcript written on plot.log.
>
> So where to go from here? Do I need to install additional TeX related
> stuff to get it working? Anybody any suggestions, please? Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Gerard Verhaag
>
> P.S.
>
> By the way, if I use MetaPost within ConTeXt using:
>
> \loadmarkfile{m-graph}
>
> \starttext
>  \startMPcode
>             .
>     /[MetaPost code]
>                .
> / \stopMPcode
> \stoptext
>
> than everything works just fine!

Hi Gerard,

that's because of a change in ConTeXts metapost, you can use

\startMPpage
<Your MP Code here>
\stopMPpage

MetaPost from ConTeXt is not able without big changes to run standalone,
so you might need to load the MetaPost version from TeXlive, the way how
to do so depends on your OS...

Greetings
--
Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
Auf dem Sattler 4

You ain't learning nothing when you're talking.

* contextgarden down?
@ 2010-12-30 12:53 ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2010-12-30 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Is contextgarden down, cannot access it for some reason?

/Janneman

* Re: contextgarden down?
@ 2010-12-30 13:12   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-12-30 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Jan-Erik Hägglöf
<janerik.hagglof@bredband.net> wrote:
> Is contextgarden down, cannot access it for some reason?
yes, it seems down
--
luigi

* Re: contextgarden down?
@ 2010-12-30 13:27     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-12-30 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:12:11PM +0100, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Jan-Erik Hägglöf
> <janerik.hagglof@bredband.net> wrote:
> > Is contextgarden down, cannot access it for some reason?
> yes, it seems down

It was down here too, but working fine now.

regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: contextgarden down?
@ 2010-12-30 13:43       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-12-30 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:12:11PM +0100, luigi scarso wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Jan-Erik Hägglöf
>> <janerik.hagglof@bredband.net> wrote:
>> > Is contextgarden down, cannot access it for some reason?
>> yes, it seems down
>
> It was down here too, but working fine now.
here too now.
--
luigi

* Re: contextgarden down?
@ 2010-12-30 13:49         ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2010-12-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2010-12-30 14:43, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Khaled Hosny<khaledhosny@eglug.org>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:12:11PM +0100, luigi scarso wrote:
>>> yes, it seems down
>> It was down here too, but working fine now.
> here too now.
yes working here too.

* Re: How to get graph module (metapost) to work with ConTeXt minimals?
@ 2010-12-30 14:18   ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-30 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:

>In article <4D1C59EF.3080403@ziggo.nl>, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>This might not be the right place to ask this question, but want to give
>>it a try anyway!
>>
>>I've installed the ConTeXt minimals (Mark IV!) recently, and running the
>>command:
>>
>>  context --version
>>
>>yields the following output:

>>  MTXrun | current version: 2010.07.30 11:35
>>
>>Now I want to generate a few plots using the graph-module (by John D.
>>Hobby) of MetaPost, which I used in the past to make high-quality plots.
>>But when I add the following statement:
>>
>>  input graph ;
>>
>>to the preamble of my MetaPost file and run the command:
>>
>>  mpost plot.mp
>>
>>The run aborts with the following messages:

>>! Unable to make mpx file.
>>l.17 init_numbers(btex
>>                      $-$etex, btex$1$etex, btex${\times}10$etex,
>>Transcript written on texnum.log.
>>TeXExec | processing graphic 'texnum.mpx'
>>TeXExec | runtime: 1.547143

>>! Unable to make mpx file.
>>l.17 init_numbers(btex
>>                      $-$etex, btex$1$etex, btex${\times}10$etex,
>>Transcript written on plot.log.
>>
>>So where to go from here? Do I need to install additional TeX related
>>stuff to get it working? Anybody any suggestions, please? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Regards,
>>Gerard Verhaag
>>
>>P.S.
>>
>>By the way, if I use MetaPost within ConTeXt using:
>>
>>\loadmarkfile{m-graph}
>>
>>\starttext
>> \startMPcode
>>            .
>>    /[MetaPost code]
>>               .
>>/ \stopMPcode
>>\stoptext
>>
>>than everything works just fine!

>Hi Gerard,
>
>that's because of a change in ConTeXts metapost, you can use
>
>\startMPpage
><Your MP Code here>
>\stopMPpage
>
>MetaPost from ConTeXt is not able without big changes to run standalone,
>so you might need to load the MetaPost version from TeXlive, the way how
>to do so depends on your OS...
>
>Greetings

Hi Martin,

Okay, thanks for your answer!

Embedding the code in my ConTeXt file works well, but I was used to
obtain my MetaPost figures seperately using the mpost-command!

Regards,
Gerard Verhaag

* Re: contextgarden down?
@ 2010-12-30 14:20   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2010-12-30 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/12/30 Jan-Erik Hägglöf <janerik.hagglof@bredband.net>:
> Is contextgarden down, cannot access it for some reason?

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.contextgarden.net

Best
   Martin

* Re: How to get graph module (metapost) to work with ConTeXt minimals?
@ 2010-12-30 15:03 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-12-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.12.2010 um 11:07 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:

> By the way, if I use MetaPost within ConTeXt using:
>
> \loadmarkfile{m-graph}

The module is loaded with \usemodule[graph].

Wolfgang

* Re: contextgarden down?
@ 2010-12-30 15:16     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-12-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Is contextgarden down, cannot access it for some reason?
>
> http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.contextgarden.net

Nice site!

The machine has been rebooted.

Patrick

* Re: How to get graph module (metapost) to work with ConTeXt minimals?
@ 2010-12-31  9:36   ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-31  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>Am 30.12.2010 um 11:07 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:
>

>>By the way, if I use MetaPost within ConTeXt using:
>>
>>\loadmarkfile{m-graph}
>>

>The module is loaded with \usemodule[graph].
>
>Wolfgang

So I understand that both statements:

\loadmarkfile{m-graph}

\usemodule[graph]

are actually the same thing!

Regards,
Gerard

* Re: How to get graph module (metapost) to work with ConTeXt minimals?
@ 2010-12-31 12:49     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-12-31 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: scholz.m82

The correct method is to use:
	\usemodule [graph]
and then you can type, for example:
	\startMPcode
		draw begingraph(8cm,6cm) ;
		gdraw (0,0)--(1,1) ;
		endgraph ;
	\stopMPcode
to include a graph with your text.

As pointed out, under mkiv, metapost is processed under one
continuous run, so definitions are retained. This is to be kept
in mind, as some metapost code can then yield errors, in particular,
inconsistent equations and the like.

Alan

@ 2011-01-01 20:03     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-01 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.12.2010 um 10:36 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:

> So I understand that both statements:
>
> \loadmarkfile{m-graph}
>
> \usemodule[graph]
>
> are actually the same thing!

Both work but they are not the same thing.

\loadmarkfile loads only the given file with the extension “mkii” MkII and “mkiv” for MkIV and only used in modules.

\usemodule does a lot more than this, the first is that it checks for the given module with different prefixes (the graph module has a “m-” prefix which means it’s a core module) and it also looks for file with different extension, this means it doesn’t matter if the module is called m-graph.tex, m-graph.mkiv or even t-graph.mkiv, \usemodule will always load the module while \loadmarkfile will only load m-graph.mkiv

When you load a file with \loadmarkfile and the file is not present you will get a message on the terminal to give a different file name which aborts the tex run while \usemodule will only give a message on the terminal but the processing isn’t stopped, as a last thing \usemodule loads a module only once while \loadmarkfile will always read the file.

Wolfgang

* Re: How to get graph module (metapost) to work with ConTeXt minimals?
@ 2011-01-03  9:39       ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2011-01-03  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>Am 31.12.2010 um 10:36 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:
>

>>So I understand that both statements:
>>
>>\loadmarkfile{m-graph}
>>
>>\usemodule[graph]
>>
>>are actually the same thing!
>>

>Both work but they are not the same thing.
>
>\loadmarkfile loads only the given file with the extension “mkii” MkII and “mkiv” for MkIV and only used in modules.
>
>\usemodule does a lot more than this, the first is that it checks for the given module with different prefixes (the graph module has a “m-” prefix which means it’s a core module) and it also looks for file with different extension, this means it doesn’t matter if the module is called m-graph.tex, m-graph.mkiv or even t-graph.mkiv, \usemodule will always load the module while \loadmarkfile will only load m-graph.mkiv
>
>When you load a file with \loadmarkfile and the file is not present you will get a message on the terminal to give a different file name which aborts the tex run while \usemodule will only give a message on the terminal but the processing isn’t stopped, as a last thing \usemodule loads a module only once while \loadmarkfile will always read the file.
>
>Wolfgang

Thanks for explaining the differences of the two statements!

Regards,
Gerard

* Re: contextgarden down?
       [not found] <4BF11A07.10609@tiscali.cz>
@ 2010-05-17 13:52 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-05-17 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jano,

> is contexgarden.net down for some maintenance, or just by an accident?

Thanks for the notice, I have asked the provider to restart the server, hopefully this helps...

Patrick