* export and pagebreak
@ 2010-12-31 18:22 Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2010-12-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,
first I wish a very happy new year to everybody! I think, this will be
my last post for this year, but as i have tasted blood, the next year I
will post a lot of further questions I think :-)
Now I have Christmas holidays and can play the whole day with ConTeXt. I
tested a little the export function. There is one thing I have on my
wishlist:
is it possible to get a <pagebreak/> into the exported XML? The
background is that I have often the requirement to include
pagebreak-info in online-productions (for citation reasons) and that
could be a very good starting point. In fact, in the moment at the
position where a pagebreak occurs, the space (if it occurs at a space)
is eaten up. Minimal example:
\setupbackend [export=yes]

\starttext

\startchapter [title=Tufte Example]

\startparagraph
     \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte}
\stopparagraph

\stopchapter

\stoptext

At the break of pg 2 to pg 3 you will find lump,skip (without the space)
in the exported file. Having the pagebreaks would be a great thing for me.

Greetings
Achim

* Re: export and pagebreak
@ 2011-01-02 14:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-12-2010 7:22, Achim Jander wrote:
> Hi all,
> first I wish a very happy new year to everybody! I think, this will be
> my last post for this year, but as i have tasted blood, the next year I
> will post a lot of further questions I think :-)
> Now I have Christmas holidays and can play the whole day with ConTeXt. I
> tested a little the export function. There is one thing I have on my
> wishlist:
> is it possible to get a <pagebreak/> into the exported XML? The
> background is that I have often the requirement to include
> pagebreak-info in online-productions (for citation reasons) and that
> could be a very good starting point. In fact, in the moment at the
> position where a pagebreak occurs, the space (if it occurs at a space)
> is eaten up. Minimal example:
> \setupbackend [export=yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startchapter [title=Tufte Example]
>
> \startparagraph
> \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte}
> \stopparagraph
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \stoptext
>
> At the break of pg 2 to pg 3 you will find lump,skip (without the space)
> in the exported file. Having the pagebreaks would be a great thing for me.

I'll send you a small patch to play with.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: export and pagebreak
@ 2011-01-03 11:54   ` Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2011-01-03 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.01.2011 15:57, schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 31-12-2010 7:22, Achim Jander wrote:
>> is it possible to get a <pagebreak/> into the exported XML?
>
> I'll send you a small patch to play wit

Hello Hans,
many thanks! I've tested a bit and it seems to work great!
Two little suggestions for improvement:
- would it possible to switch both (spaces and pagebreak) to on? It
seems that in the Moment only one of them can be enabled.
- would it be possible to include the pagenumber as attribute?

During my tests i found a strange behaviour of the export-function (not
related to pagebreak-export).
With certain combinations of \setupalign[hz,hanging] and body-font-size
most of the text gets eaten:

\setupbackend [export=yes]

\enabledirectives[structures.export.pagebreaks]

\definefontfeature[default][default][%
expansion=quality,
protrusion=quality,
]

\setupbodyfont[rm,8.5pt]
%\setupbodyfont[rm,11pt] %does not work either
%\setupbodyfont[rm,12pt] %this is ok

\definebodyfontenvironment[8.5pt][%
text=8.5pt,
script=8.5pt,
scriptscript=6pt,
x=6pt,
xx=5pt,
big=28pt,
small=17.3pt]

\setupalign[hz,hanging] %without everything ok

\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext

that gives the export:
<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes' ?>

<!-- input filename   : xml_test_export   -->
<!-- processing date  : 01/03/11 12:43:00 -->
<!-- context version  : 2010.12.31 08:59  -->
<!-- exporter version : 0.10              -->

<document language='en' file='xml_test_export' date='01/03/11 12:43:01'
context='2010.12.31 08:59' version='0.10'>
--fiflfiglean, synopsize, winnow the wheat from the chaff and separate
the sheep from the goats.
</document>

Either switching the body-font-size to 12pt or disable the \align gives
the full export as expected. Very confusing.
Greetings,
Achim

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: export and pagebreak
@ 2011-01-03 14:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-03 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-1-2011 12:54, Achim Jander wrote:

> - would it possible to switch both (spaces and pagebreak) to on? It
> seems that in the Moment only one of them can be enabled.

does not make much sense as </S0> equals </pagebreak> anyway (the
default is a space)

> - would it be possible to include the pagenumber as attribute?

maybe, keep in mind that we cannot really structure by page as elements
can span page boundaries

> During my tests i found a strange behaviour of the export-function (not
> related to pagebreak-export).
> With certain combinations of \setupalign[hz,hanging] and body-font-size
> most of the text gets eaten:

maybe some attributes gets lost in the hz machinery ... needs checking

(in most cases doing a special export run makes sense, in which case
some functionality can be turned off)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: export and pagebreak
@ 2011-01-03 15:11       ` Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2011-01-03 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.01.2011 15:43, schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 3-1-2011 12:54, Achim Jander wrote:
>
>> - would it possible to switch both (spaces and pagebreak) to on? It
>> seems that in the Moment only one of them can be enabled.
>
> does not make much sense as </S0> equals </pagebreak> anyway (the
> default is a space)

Hi Hans,
maybe i got something wrong, but in the given example I have now
filter, lump,<pagebreak/>skip,
My intent is, to convert the XML eg to  EPUB and use the <pagebreak />
to give the desired Metadata.
So it would be more convenient to have
filter, lump, <pagebreak/>skip,
but that could be also done in the postprocessing.

>> - would it be possible to include the pagenumber as attribute?
>
> maybe, keep in mind that we cannot really structure by page as
> elements can span page boundaries

of course, its only a nice-to have, it could get calculated in the
postprocessing

> maybe some attributes gets lost in the hz machinery ... needs checking
>
> (in most cases doing a special export run makes sense, in which case
> some functionality can be turned off)

yes, i see. In my case it is of interest to have the same breaking in
that run, so i wonder if disabling the hz feature
doesn't change the line-breaking ?

Thanks,
Achim

* Re: export and pagebreak
@ 2011-01-03 15:19         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-03 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-1-2011 4:11, Achim Jander wrote:

> So it would be more convenient to have
> filter, lump, <pagebreak/>skip,
> but that could be also done in the postprocessing.

indeed this belongs to postprocessing (if only because there is no space
at a pagebreak) .. similar would be: abc<linebreak/>def where is no
linebreak is needed it can become a space)

> yes, i see. In my case it is of interest to have the same breaking in
> that run, so i wonder if disabling the hz feature
> doesn't change the line-breaking ?

it does

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: export and pagebreak
@ 2011-01-03 15:32           ` Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2011-01-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,
thanks again. At least the first tests of the new version give me the
expected result. Great!!

Achim