* still struggling with footnotes
@ 2011-01-03 15:51 Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2011-01-03 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,
I am still trying to get the footnote numbers aligned in a special way:
flushright, but the width depends on the width of the max
footnote-number on page,
so to get
1
2
and
~9
10

After reading the manuals and the source given in strc-not.lua thats how
far i am at the moment:

\enabletrackers[structures.notes]

\setupnote[footnote][numbercommand=, way=bypage]
\setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=left,distance=1em,hang=4,headalign={flushright},width=1em]

\def\getmaxnote[#1]{\ctxlua{
     local n = structures.notes.getn("#1",n)
     local current = structures.notes.get("#1",n)
     local cr = current.references
     local result = cr.realpage

-- calculate the width of cr.number and store in maxwidth
-- loop through the notes until act.realpage <> cr.realpage
-- and for each note calculate the width, compare with maxwidh and store
the max
-- then set the width to the correct maxwidth

-- context.setupnotedefinition({"footnote"}, {width=maxwidth})

}
}

\appendtoks
  \getmaxnote[footnote]
\to\everybeforenoteinsert

\showframe

  \starttext
\dorecurse {100} {
test  \footnote{test }
}
\stoptext

Now I can not figure out how to get the "real" footnote-number of the
note (is there any way?) And does this approach make sense at all?
Any hints welcome, i tear my hair for hours now

Greetings,
Achim

* Re: still struggling with footnotes
@ 2011-01-05 15:54 ` Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2011-01-05 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.01.2011 16:51, schrieb Achim Jander:
> Hi all,
> I am still trying to get the footnote numbers aligned in a special
> way: flushright, but the width depends on the width of the max
> footnote-number on page,
> so to get
> 1
> 2
> and
> ~9
> 10
>
> After reading the manuals and the source given in strc-not.lua thats
> how far i am at the moment:
>
> \enabletrackers[structures.notes]
>
> \setupnote[footnote][numbercommand=, way=bypage]
> \setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=left,distance=1em,hang=4,headalign={flushright},width=1em]
>

> \def\getmaxnote[#1]{\ctxlua{
>     local n = structures.notes.getn("#1",n)
>     local current = structures.notes.get("#1",n)
>     local cr = current.references
>     local result = cr.realpage
>
> -- calculate the width of cr.number and store in maxwidth
> -- loop through the notes until act.realpage <> cr.realpage
> -- and for each note calculate the width, compare with maxwidh and
> store the max
> -- then set the width to the correct maxwidth
>
> -- context.setupnotedefinition({"footnote"}, {width=maxwidth})
>
> }
> }
>
> \appendtoks
>  \getmaxnote[footnote]
> \to\everybeforenoteinsert
>
> \showframe
>
>  \starttext
> \dorecurse {100} {
> test  \footnote{test }
> }
> \stoptext
>
> Now I can not figure out how to get the "real" footnote-number of the
> note (is there any way?) And does this approach make sense at all?
> Any hints welcome, i tear my hair for hours now
>
> Greetings,
> Achim

Hi again,

now i found out how to get the footnote-number:

   local num = current.numberdata
   local test = num.numbers
   local num = tostring(test[1])

but i also found out, that my plan of iterating through the notes was
indeed senseless, because at this stage the next footnote is not known.
(i should have tested that first).
So my new plan is, to calculate the correct width in
everybeforenoteinsert, and to compare it with the first one of the page.
My question now: is there any possibility to restart the page when i
find that i need a greater width?
eg to invoke a command \justdoitagainsam??

Sorry that i make so much noise about such a silly footnote-thing, but
all my books have many footnotes, and all the notes have to be
typesetted like that (not my idea)
So without, i could hardly use ConTeXt anyway and that would be sad...

@ 2011-01-06 13:49   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-06 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

something like this

\enabletrackers[structures.notes]

\setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=left,distance=1em,hang=4,headalign=flushright]

\startluacode
     local n, ranges, pages = 0, { }, { }
     for k, v in ipairs(structures.lists.collected) do
         if v.metadata.kind == "description" and v.metadata.name ==
"footnote" then
             local realpage = v.references.realpage
             local number = v.numberdata.numbers[1]
             local range = ranges[realpage]
             if not range then
                 range = { min = 0, max = 0 }
                 ranges[realpage] = range
             end
             if number < range.min then
                 range.min = number
             end
             if number > range.max then
                 range.max = number
             end
             pages[number] = range
         end
     end
     function document.dosomething()
         n = n + 1
         local range = pages[n]
         if range then
             context.setupnotedefinition(
                 { "footnote" },
                 {  sample = range.max }
             )
         end
     end
\stopluacode

\appendtoks
     \ctxlua{document.dosomething()}
\to \everybeforenoteinsert

\showframe

\starttext
     \dorecurse {200} {test\footnote{test} }
\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-01-06 15:58     ` Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2011-01-06 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,
your're a genious, thats so great! Thank you very very much!
While testing and adapting the code, there are two questions still:

I changed
            pages[number] = range
            local order =  v.references.order
             pages[order] = range

and accordingly

function document.dosomething()
   local n = structures.notes.getn("footnote",n)

which seems to work, but it would be nice if you could confirm my
suggestion that these two values are equal.

The other question:
As far as I can understand, structures.lists.collected seems to be
filled before any typesetting is done yet???
Could you give me some enlightment about that or is it simply the
ConTeXt magic?

Thank you once again,
Greetings
Achim

@ 2011-01-07 18:26       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-1-2011 4:58, Achim Jander wrote:

> I changed
> pages[number] = range
> local order = v.references.order
> pages[order] = range
>
> and accordingly

depends on the situation i guess

one you have it working ok you can wikify this trickery (the lua
interface is unlikely to change much)

> which seems to work, but it would be nice if you could confirm my
> suggestion that these two values are equal.

make a bigger test case and you will see differences

> The other question:
> As far as I can understand, structures.lists.collected seems to be
> filled before any typesetting is done yet???
> Could you give me some enlightment about that or is it simply the
> ConTeXt magic?

often there is somelist.tobesaved and somelist.collected and the second
one is loaded pretty early and reflects the previous run

so, in a first run that list is empty; also, when you insert a footnote,
you will need an extra run but that happens automatically

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE