From: Achim Jander <achim@jander.de>
Cc: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: xml-processing: missing or ungrouped '='
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:05:57 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Thomas,
sorry, I dont want to bother you. But in fact that is not what I'm
looking for. Maybe its my fault that I mixed a - as I thougt - related
problem in my second mail.
What I try to do is reduce redundancy. I cannot see where my
explanations differ. In fact, I started with something like your
example. But from a redundancy point of view
thats a mess so I tried to improve it. I came to something like

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
   \startchapter[
      title={\xmlatt{#1}{title}},
      number=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{yes}{no},
      ownnumber=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{\xmlatt{#1}{num}}{}
   ]
     \xmlflush{#1}
   \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

which works fine and at least in my eyes has a clearer structure, but
still some redundancy. Now is the point where I think the
misunderstandings started, because now I tried two different approaches to
decrease redundancy: First step i tried to simplyfy *this* setup and
came to something like

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
   \startchapter[
      title={\xmlatt{#1}{title}},

\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{ownnumber=\xmlatt{#1}{num}}{number=no},
   ]
     \xmlflush{#1}
   \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

which would nicely eliminate every redundance but doesn't work and
complains about the mystery "missing or ungrouped '='"
The other attempt was - though i have not only to deal with chapters but
up to about 15 hierarchies, all structured in a similar way,
so I tried to delegate the processing like

\startxmlsetups xml:fillTitleAtts
      title={\xmlatt{#1}{title}},
      number=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{yes}{no},
      ownnumber=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{\xmlatt{#1}{num}}{}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
   \startchapter[
      \xmlcommand{#1}{.}{xml:fillTitleAtts}
   ]
     \xmlflush{#1}
   \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

which would be nicely reusable but that attempt failed whith the same
error message - thus I thought they are related.
I have to mention, that I try not to process one file but to write
setups for a bunch of similar but slightly different books (we're doing
about 1000 books per year),
so my setups have to be clearly structured and easyly adaptable to
different needs.

I dunno if that can clear up things, if not, I think its not worth much
more discussion.

Thanks,
Achim