* Unreadable characters in embedded PDF file
@ 2011-01-10  8:07 Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2011-01-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,
Often I include external PDF files into PDF document generated by ConTeXt.
When I create a PDF document containing text in Scribus (or other
application) and then I put it to my PDF file (generating by ConTeXt),
then in final PDF document are unreadable characters.

Is there a problem in Scribus character encoding or the fact that the
fonts contained in the included PDF file ConTeXt unknown?

Thanks for the advice.

Jaroslav

* Re: Unreadable characters in embedded PDF file
@ 2011-01-10  8:19 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-01-10  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/10/2011 09:07 AM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello all,
> Often I include external PDF files into PDF document generated by ConTeXt.
> When I create a PDF document containing text in Scribus (or other
> application) and then I put it to my PDF file (generating by ConTeXt),
> then in final PDF document are unreadable characters.
>
> Is there a problem in Scribus character encoding or the fact that the
> fonts contained in the included PDF file ConTeXt unknown?

It is hard to debug this without an actual file, but it sound similar
to a problem we heard about a few weeks ago. Does this thread appear to
refer to the same problem you have:

   http://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2010-December/002354.html

If yes, then the fix is already in the luatex repository.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Unreadable characters in embedded PDF file
@ 2011-01-10  9:00   ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2011-01-10  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanx Taco...
I just have found an interesting thing.
If PDF file which is by Scribus generated (which in itself is useless)
and then "print" by PDFCreator (or PDFXchange) to new PDF file, then the
resulting PDF file can now be put into ConTeXt resulting PDF document
without any problem. It probably means that the problem is in Scribus
isn't it?

Jaroslav

@ 2011-01-10  9:05     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-01-10  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Jaroslav Hajtmar <hajtmar@gyza.cz> wrote:
> Thanx Taco...
> I just have found an interesting thing.
> If PDF file which is by Scribus generated (which in itself is useless) and
> then "print" by PDFCreator (or PDFXchange) to new PDF file, then the
> resulting PDF file can now be put into ConTeXt resulting PDF document
> without any problem. It probably means that the problem is in Scribus isn't
> it?
You can use qpdf to check
--
luigi

* Re: Unreadable characters in embedded PDF file
@ 2011-01-10  9:05     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-01-10  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/10/2011 10:00 AM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Thanx Taco...
> I just have found an interesting thing.
> If PDF file which is by Scribus generated (which in itself is useless)
> and then "print" by PDFCreator (or PDFXchange) to new PDF file, then the
> resulting PDF file can now be put into ConTeXt resulting PDF document
> without any problem. It probably means that the problem is in Scribus
> isn't it?

Not really. It does indeed mean that your almost certainly have the
same problem as in that thread I linked. Scribus creates a slightly
unusual Pdf, but the bug in luatex. PDFCreator converts the pdf to
something more common, and that is why that helps, but Scribus' pdf
is fine by itself.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Unreadable characters in embedded PDF file
@ 2011-01-10  9:56       ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2011-01-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, of course - Taco, you have right. PDF file from Scribus is itself
applicable.
I was wrong to comment...

However, I found a way to temporarily solve my problem ... (use PDF
printdriver - PDFcreator)
... and I wait to be removed an bug from LuaTeX..

Thanx Jaroslav