* ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost here
@ 2011-01-10 14:29 Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-10 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

MetaPost embedded in ConTeXt does not work here, but plain
MetaPost works fine:

This [1] test works fine if i call
mpost test.1
I can see a circle.

But this [2] fails.

Does ConTeXt expect MetaPost to have the executable named "mp"?
On my debian system its called "mpost"

[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaPost#Troubleshooting_plain_MetaPost
[2] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaPost#Troubleshooting_MetaPost_embedded_in_ConTeXt

Kind regards,

--
Jonas Stein <news@jonasstein.de>

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost here
@ 2011-01-10 14:36 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-01-10 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/10/2011 03:29 PM, Jonas Stein wrote:
> [2] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaPost#Troubleshooting_MetaPost_embedded_in_ConTeXt

Are you using mkii or mkiv? And what versions of what? (terminal output
would be helpful). To answer the immediate question: no, context does
not expect the binary to be called 'mp'. Mkii needs 'mpost' and mkiv
uses the internal mplib in luatex.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost here
@ 2011-01-10 14:50 ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-10 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

here is my typescript:

$ cat test.tex
\starttext
\systemcommandmode
\startMPcode
   draw fullcircle scaled 3cm ;
\stopMPcode

$ context test.tex

MTXrun | forcing cache reload
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-context.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

=another try======================================

$ texexec --lua  test.tex &&okular test.pdf

MTXrun | kpse fallback with progname 'context' initialized in 0.05 secondsTeXExec | processing document 'test.tex'
TeXExec | no ctx file found
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | writing option file test.top
TeXExec | using randomseed 968
TeXExec | tex engine: luatex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-en

MTXrun | forcing cache reload
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-base.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | unknown script 'base.lua' or 'mtx-base.lua'
TeXExec | runtime: 0.171907

=another try======================================

$ texexec --pdf  test.tex &&okular test.pdf

works, but
\systemcommandmode

does not give a '2' or '1' as respond. It gives a '^'

Kind regards,

--

@ 2011-01-10 15:15   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-01-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/10/2011 03:50 PM, Jonas Stein wrote:
> $ context test.tex
>
> MTXrun | forcing cache reload
> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found

Something is wrong with your installation. Mkiv should have found
a texmfcnf.lua at this spot. What distribution are you running?

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost here
@ 2011-01-10 15:42     ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-01-10, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/2011 03:50 PM, Jonas Stein wrote:
>> $ context test.tex
>>
>> MTXrun | forcing cache reload
>> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
>
> Something is wrong with your installation. Mkiv should have found
> a texmfcnf.lua at this spot. What distribution are you running?

the system is debian testing.
i have the distribution packages installed for texlive and so on.

I got context from here:
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/all/context/download

kind regards,

--
Jonas Stein <news@jonasstein.de>

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-10 16:18       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-01-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

My linux is not Debian-based so I cannot help much further
(but I have changed the title of this reply in the hope
that more debian people will read it)

Best wishes,
Taco

@ 2011-01-10 18:08         ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2011-01-10 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

\starttext
% \systemcommandmode % (doesn't work here, i.e. strange ^ char with
texexec and not defined by mkiv)
\startMPcode
draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext % (missing in your code snippet)

Tested on the following ConTeXt minimals version on an up-to-date debian
(amd64 unstable/experimental hybrid).
MTXrun | main context file:
/usr/local/ConTeXt_version_2010.11.26/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MTXrun | current version: 2010.11.26 22:49

Simplest test:
− Reported OK with "context test"
− Reported OK with "texexec test"

My experience is that it is best to use minimals, so maybe it can help
if you give it a try… That's trivial with ./first-setup.sh (I usually
suffix the dir name and use a plain ConTeXt symbolic link… just in case
to recover a previous version if the new one… um… doesn't work).

Best regards,

Renaud

@ 2011-01-10 18:14           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-10 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> \stoptext % (missing in your code snippet)
>
> Tested on the following ConTeXt minimals version on an up-to-date debian
> (amd64 unstable/experimental hybrid).
> MTXrun | main context file:
> /usr/local/ConTeXt_version_2010.11.26/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex

Are you using the debian package that Jonas linked to?
/usr/local/ConTeXt_version_2010.11.26 seems to be a strange place for a
package manager to install stuff.

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-10 18:36             ` Renaud AUBIN
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2011-01-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Aditya,

Hum… OK, my english is not so good but "Tested on the following
**ConTeXt minimals** version on an up-to-date debian" seems clear to me.
And, you are right: /usr/local is one of the place to install stuff
**not** installed by the debian package manager. ;)

Now, I have installed the pointed package for testing and I confirm the
result:
MTXrun | forcing cache reload
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-context.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Still investigating…

Renaud

@ 2011-01-10 18:44               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-10 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Renaud,

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hum… OK, my english is not so good but "Tested on the following
> **ConTeXt minimals** version on an up-to-date debian" seems clear to me.

I am sorry. I misread it.

> And, you are right: /usr/local is one of the place to install stuff
> **not** installed by the debian package manager. ;)

Of course :)

> Now, I have installed the pointed package for testing and I confirm the
> result:
> MTXrun | forcing cache reload
> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-context.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> Still investigating…

I am not using debian or its derivatives, so I cannot test.

Assuming that Norbert packaged ConTeXt package in debian testing, I am
CCing this message to him.

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-10 18:47               ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2011-01-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I assume from minimals install script that you need to generate the
format with mtxrun --generate --tree="xxx" --some --options but failed
at this point…
Maybe Mojca or Arthur (as authors of bin/mtx-update.lua) could complete?

Anyway, the post-install script packaged with that .deb doesn't seem to
do the job for you…

Renaud

@ 2011-01-10 21:15               ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-10 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Now, I have installed the pointed package for testing and I confirm the
> result:

Thank you for testing.

I made a bugreport for Norbert.

@ 2011-01-10 21:43                 ` Hilmar Preuße
From: Hilmar Preuße @ 2011-01-10 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Renaud AUBIN <aubin <at> nibua-r.org> writes:

Hi all,

> I assume from minimals install script that you need to generate the
> format with mtxrun --generate --tree="xxx" --some --options but failed
> at this point…
> Maybe Mojca or Arthur (as authors of bin/mtx-update.lua) could complete?
>
> Anyway, the post-install script packaged with that .deb doesn't seem to
> do the job for you…

Indeed, we don't do this. What it the purpose of this command and how to call it?

When running w/ option --generate I get:

hille@sid:~ $ mtxrun --generate

MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers

TEXMFCNF and TEXMF are empty, but they are set in
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf:

TEXMFCNF = /usr/share/texmf/web2c;/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c
TEXMF =
{$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,\
!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST}

Thanks,
  Hilmar

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-10 23:17                 ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-10 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> I assume from minimals install script that you need to generate the
> format with mtxrun --generate --tree="xxx" --some --options but failed
> at this point…
> Maybe Mojca or Arthur (as authors of bin/mtx-update.lua) could complete?
>
> Anyway, the post-install script packaged with that .deb doesn't seem to
> do the job for you…

Same in the old "stable" .deb package.
That will render the package unusable for many modules
until the user fixes it manual as root, right?

kind regards,

--

@ 2011-01-11  0:00                   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Hilmar Preuße wrote:

> Renaud AUBIN <aubin <at> nibua-r.org> writes:
>
> Hi all,
>
>> I assume from minimals install script that you need to generate the
>> format with mtxrun --generate --tree="xxx" --some --options but failed
>> at this point…
>> Maybe Mojca or Arthur (as authors of bin/mtx-update.lua) could complete?
>>
>> Anyway, the post-install script packaged with that .deb doesn't seem to
>> do the job for you…
>>
> Ineed, we don't do this. What it the purpose of this command and how to call it?

Earlier, there were some troubles with ConTeXt MkIV working in a
multi-user setup (I don't know whether that is still the case or not).
Therefore, the user has to run mtxrun --generate. This step cannot be done
at the post-install stage; it has to be done manually  by the user. So,
the best solution is to display a message to tell the user to run this
command manually (I do something similar for the context-minimals package
for archlinux that I maintain).

> When running w/ option --generate I get:
>
> hille@sid:~ $ mtxrun --generate
>
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''

This step is wrong (because the binary is in /usr/bin). Compare this with
what one gets in texlive:

'TEXMFCNF' set to
'{$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{{,/share,}/texmf{-local,.local}/web2c}'

Because of the wrong setting of TEXMFCNF mtxrun does not read texmfcnf.lua
file, and the rest of the command fails.

You can try

TEXMFCNF=/usr/share/texmf/web2c mtxrun --generate

and that should generate the database correctly.

I don't know what TEXMFCNF is being set incorrectly.

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-11  5:00                 ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2011-01-11  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya, hi all,

On Mo, 10 Jan 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Assuming that Norbert packaged ConTeXt package in debian testing, I am
> CCing this message to him.

So it seems that current Context has changed something, anyone can help
me here?

Up to now I did:
	export TEXMFCNF=/usr/share/texmf/web2c
	luatools --generate --verbose
after which everything was working.

Now I get:
[~] luatools --generate --verbose

MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to '/usr/share/texmf/web2c'
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | forcing cache reload
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-base.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | unknown script 'base.lua' or 'mtx-base.lua'

BTW, why does this mtxrun not *SAY* what file it is searching for???
Just
	warning: no lua configuration files found
is as useful as ... welll ... I stop here.

In /usr/share/texmf/web2c/ there is a contextcnf.lua which looks like:
return {

    type    = "configuration",
    version = "1.0.2",
    date    = "2010-06-07",
    time    = "14:49:00",
    comment = "ConTeXt MkIV configuration file",

Is there something missing?

Best wishes

Norbert
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that
anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely
by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the
final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove
that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and
without faith I am nothing.'
The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't
it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you
exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't.
QED.'

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-11 15:56                   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 06:00, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Aditya, hi all,
>
> On Mo, 10 Jan 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Assuming that Norbert packaged ConTeXt package in debian testing, I am
>> CCing this message to him.
>
> So it seems that current Context has changed something, anyone can help
> me here?
>
> Up to now I did:
>        export TEXMFCNF=/usr/share/texmf/web2c
>        luatools --generate --verbose
> after which everything was working.
>
> Now I get:
> [~] luatools --generate --verbose
>
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to '/usr/share/texmf/web2c'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'

Hans, TEXOS cannot be /usr for various reasons.

> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | forcing cache reload
> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-base.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | unknown script 'base.lua' or 'mtx-base.lua'
>
> BTW, why does this mtxrun not *SAY* what file it is searching for???

texmfcnf.lua, but I cannot answer the "why" part.

> Just
>        warning: no lua configuration files found
> is as useful as ... welll ... I stop here.
>

> In /usr/share/texmf/web2c/ there is a contextcnf.lua which looks like:
> return {
>
>    type    = "configuration",
>    version = "1.0.2",
>    date    = "2010-06-07",
>    time    = "14:49:00",
>    comment = "ConTeXt MkIV configuration file",
>
> Is there something missing?

It should probably be called texmfcnf.lua instead of contextcnf.lua.
And there's also a high chance that the settings in that file are
wrong if you just took the file from distribution. The settings should
somehow match the contents in texmf.cnf.

(What version of ConTeXt is this?)

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-11 16:08                     ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2011-01-11 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/1/11 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>

> It should probably be called texmfcnf.lua instead of contextcnf.lua.
> And there's also a high chance that the settings in that file are
> wrong if you just took the file from distribution. The settings should
> somehow match the contents in texmf.cnf.
>
> (What version of ConTeXt is this?)

2010.07.30, according to http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=context

Regards,

Vedran Miletić

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-11 16:24                       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/1/11 Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com>:
> 2011/1/11 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
>>
>> It should probably be called texmfcnf.lua instead of contextcnf.lua.
>> And there's also a high chance that the settings in that file are
>> wrong if you just took the file from distribution. The settings should
>> somehow match the contents in texmf.cnf.
>>
>> (What version of ConTeXt is this?)
>
> 2010.07.30, according to http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=context

In that case one should better run mtxrun instead of luatools (they
are equivalent at the moment, but luatools is becomming obsolete).

And yes, texmfcnf.lua should be carefully designed to match the
structure of texmf trees in debian.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-11 16:45                         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-11 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> 2011/1/11 Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com>:
>> 2011/1/11 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
>>>
>>> It should probably be called texmfcnf.lua instead of contextcnf.lua.
>>> And there's also a high chance that the settings in that file are
>>> wrong if you just took the file from distribution. The settings should
>>> somehow match the contents in texmf.cnf.
>>>
>>> (What version of ConTeXt is this?)
>>
>> 2010.07.30, according to http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=context
>
> In that case one should better run mtxrun instead of luatools (they
> are equivalent at the moment, but luatools is becomming obsolete).
>
> And yes, texmfcnf.lua should be carefully designed to match the
> structure of texmf trees in debian.

Wouldn't just copying the texmfcnf.lua from texlive work?

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-11 16:52                           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 17:45, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> And yes, texmfcnf.lua should be carefully designed to match the
>> structure of texmf trees in debian.
>
> Wouldn't just copying the texmfcnf.lua from texlive work?

Mine (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua) says

        TEXMFCACHE      = "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-cache",

        TEXMFOS         = "$SELFAUTODIR",
        TEXMFSYSTEM     = "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf",
        TEXMFMAIN       = "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-dist",
        TEXMFCONTEXT    = "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-context",
        TEXMFLOCAL      = "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-local",
        TEXMFFONTS      = "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-fonts",
        TEXMFPROJECT    = "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-project",

I'm not saying that it won't work at all, but I'm not sure if all the
files in Debian are at the same place relative to binaries. I wasn't
aware that texmf-context and other trees were also "preconfigured" to
exist in TL.

Note that SELFAUTOPARENT is set to root based on Norbert's output. The
tree 'texmf-dist' is probably not located under /texmf-dist ...

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-12  1:15                         ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2011-01-12  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

On Di, 11 Jan 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > 2010.07.30, according to http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=context
>
> In that case one should better run mtxrun instead of luatools (they
> are equivalent at the moment, but luatools is becomming obsolete).

Ahhh ... I guess that needs some divine inspiration to know ...

> And yes, texmfcnf.lua should be carefully designed to match the
> structure of texmf trees in debian.

Of course, looking into it I graasped that now.

Why on earth can mtxrun not simply load the main texmf.cnf like
any other program in the TeX world and initialize the values from
there I ask myself.

I am slowly giving up on ConTeXt. It is changing in arbitrary directions
far too often, and still things like multi-user support are not
here since ages. I know, it is primary Hans' system and it has to
work primarily on his computer, but that means that distributing
it within any distribution system is plain pain :-(

All that of course relates only to MkIV. I guess I will just add
one sentence to the README.Debian:
	MkIV is not suppored on Debian. If you know how to set it
	up you can do it yourself and educate the maintainer,
	otherwise simply use MkII or the ConTeXt minimals.
Sad but true.

All the best

Norbert
CORRIEARKLET (n.)
The moment at which two people approaching from opposite ends of a
long passageway, recognise each other and immediately pretend they
haven't. This is to avoid the ghastly embarrassment of having to
continue recognising each other the whole length of the corridor.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-14 20:57                           ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> In that case one should better run mtxrun instead of luatools (they
>> are equivalent at the moment, but luatools is becomming obsolete).
>
> Ahhh ... I guess that needs some divine inspiration to know ...
>
>> And yes, texmfcnf.lua should be carefully designed to match the
>> structure of texmf trees in debian.
>
> Of course, looking into it I graasped that now.
>
> Why on earth can mtxrun not simply load the main texmf.cnf like
> any other program in the TeX world and initialize the values from
> there I ask myself.
>
> I am slowly giving up on ConTeXt. It is changing in arbitrary directions
> far too often, and still things like multi-user support are not
> here since ages. I know, it is primary Hans' system and it has to
> work primarily on his computer, but that means that distributing
> it within any distribution system is plain pain :-(
>
> All that of course relates only to MkIV. I guess I will just add
> one sentence to the README.Debian:
> 	MkIV is not suppored on Debian. If you know how to set it
> 	up you can do it yourself and educate the maintainer,
> 	otherwise simply use MkII or the ConTeXt minimals.

Its so sad to read this but no other reply on this thread till now.
As far i have looked into the .deb packages the bug should be in the
current stable versions too.

The ideas behind context are so nice and could save us from so
much latex-pain. If there are no context-packages, that work
out of the box it will be a project for developers.
Developers are known to code and not to write documentation...

Is there any hope that context will become a replacement of latex?

Kind regards,

--

@ 2011-01-14 21:29                             ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-01-14 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:57:32PM +0100, Jonas Stein wrote:
> >> In that case one should better run mtxrun instead of luatools (they
> >> are equivalent at the moment, but luatools is becomming obsolete).
> >
> > Ahhh ... I guess that needs some divine inspiration to know ...
> >
> >> And yes, texmfcnf.lua should be carefully designed to match the
> >> structure of texmf trees in debian.
> >
> > Of course, looking into it I graasped that now.
> >
> > Why on earth can mtxrun not simply load the main texmf.cnf like
> > any other program in the TeX world and initialize the values from
> > there I ask myself.
> >
> > I am slowly giving up on ConTeXt. It is changing in arbitrary directions
> > far too often, and still things like multi-user support are not
> > here since ages. I know, it is primary Hans' system and it has to
> > work primarily on his computer, but that means that distributing
> > it within any distribution system is plain pain :-(
> >
> > All that of course relates only to MkIV. I guess I will just add
> > one sentence to the README.Debian:
> > 	MkIV is not suppored on Debian. If you know how to set it
> > 	up you can do it yourself and educate the maintainer,
> > 	otherwise simply use MkII or the ConTeXt minimals.
>
> Its so sad to read this but no other reply on this thread till now.
> As far i have looked into the .deb packages the bug should be in the
> current stable versions too.
>
> The ideas behind context are so nice and could save us from so
> much latex-pain. If there are no context-packages, that work
> out of the box it will be a project for developers.
> Developers are known to code and not to write documentation...

Use MkII it is tried, documented and stable. It is unfair to complain
about something as " changing in arbitrary directions" when it is
declared "beta" and "ever evolving" with big red letters every where :)

> Is there any hope that context will become a replacement of latex?

I don't think this have been a goal.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-14 21:56                               ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2011-01-14 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Is there any hope that context will become a replacement of latex?
>
> I don't think this have been a goal.

  Maybe Jonas means that for *some* particular users, ConTeXt could be a
replacement for LaTeX, and that we could, for example, use it to
introduce newcomers to TeX-based typesetting systems.  Other than that,
I agree with you.

	Arthur

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-14 22:02                                 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-14 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> writes:

>>> Is there any hope that context will become a replacement of latex?
>>
>> I don't think this have been a goal.
>
>   Maybe Jonas means that for *some* particular users, ConTeXt could be a
> replacement for LaTeX,

For *some* particular users, ConTeXt *is* already a replacement for
LaTeX: for all the users, who switched from LaTeX to ConTeXt, like me
some years ago.

--
Peter Münster

Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: ConTeXt does not execute MetaPost (in debian experimental)
@ 2011-01-14 22:19                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-1-2011 9:57, Jonas Stein wrote:

> Its so sad to read this but no other reply on this thread till now.
> As far i have looked into the .deb packages the bug should be in the
> current stable versions too.
>
> The ideas behind context are so nice and could save us from so
> much latex-pain. If there are no context-packages, that work
> out of the box it will be a project for developers.
> Developers are known to code and not to write documentation...

It's not that bad (unless I missed something) ... first of all we have
the minimals and they work out of the box. And the minimals are just a
subset of texlive. As soon as a different tree setup is used one has to
adapt the TEXMF variable in the configuration file (ok, i assume that we
could add some commonly used paths there that are not in the minimals).
This is something that can differ per distributions.

The reasons for dropping txmf.cnf in mkiv in favour of texmfcnf.lua have
been discussed before and is just another step towards more flexibility
(for instance we have more private configuration options than possible
in the old situation).

Of course the whole minimals can be made a package which makes sense if
a user only uses context and does not want the rest of tex. If I
remember right someone did that already.

So there is no need to worry as eventually things will sort themselves
out. I have no clue what bug you mean, but if you can nail it down ...
(my dev machine is windows 7 and our linux servers have the minimals)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-01-14 22:20                                   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2011-01-14 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For *some* particular users, ConTeXt *is* already a replacement for
> LaTeX

  Yes, for me too.  But you're missing the point.

	Arthur