* Using \pdfnames and friends.
@ 2011-01-25 11:29 Paul Isambert
From: Paul Isambert @ 2011-01-25 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I'm trying to use \pdfnames with MkIV, but I can see from the sources
that it's a no-op and should be replaced with \pdfbackendsetname.
So I use \pdfbackendsetname{EmbeddedFiles}{22 0 R}, trying to achieve
the same thing as \pdfnames{/EmbeddedFiles 22 0 R}, but "22 0 R" is
surrounded by parentheses, as if it were a PDF string, so that I end up
with the useless "/EmbeddedFiles (22 0 R)".
Similarly, \pdfbackendsetcatalog{PageMode}{/UseOutlines} produces
"/PageMode (/UseOutlines)".
What am I doing wrong?

Best,
Paul

* Re: Using \pdfnames and friends.
@ 2011-01-25 13:35 ` Paul Isambert
From: Paul Isambert @ 2011-01-25 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Answering myself: I should use:

\ctxlua{lpdf.addtonames("EmbeddedFiles", lpdf.reference(22))
\ctxlua{lpdf.addtocatalog("PageMode", lpdf.constant("UseOutlines"))}

(Apparently I can't do that directly with \pdfbackendsetname/catalog, the second argument is taken as a string.)
I hope that's the correct answer and not a hack.

@ 2011-01-25 13:38   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-01-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@free.fr> wrote:
> Answering myself: I should use:
>
> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtonames("EmbeddedFiles", lpdf.reference(22))
> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtocatalog("PageMode", lpdf.constant("UseOutlines"))}
>
> (Apparently I can't do that directly with \pdfbackendsetname/catalog, the
> second argument is taken as a string.)
> I hope that's the correct answer and not a hack.
As far as I know, the lua lpdf  library et similia  are the  best way.
--
luigi

* Re: Using \pdfnames and friends.
@ 2011-01-25 14:52     ` Paul Isambert
From: Paul Isambert @ 2011-01-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks Luigi (don't know why your answer doesn't show up above.)

But now I have another question. When I do:

\ctxlua{lpdf.addtoinfo("Title", "My work")}

The Title field in the Info dictionary is correctly set, but not in the
xml Metadata, which uses jobname instead. Hence, Acrobat shows jobname
as the document's title (even though other viewers, which don't
understand metadata, display "My work").

So: how do I set the title correctly both in Info and Metadata?

@ 2011-01-25 15:15       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Paul Isambert wrote:

> Thanks Luigi (don't know why your answer doesn't show up above.)
>
> But now I have another question. When I do:
>
> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtoinfo("Title", "My work")}
>
> The Title field in the Info dictionary is correctly set, but not in the xml
> Metadata, which uses jobname instead. Hence, Acrobat shows jobname as the
> document's title (even though other viewers, which don't understand metadata,
> display "My work").
>
> So: how do I set the title correctly both in Info and Metadata?

You could check how

\setupinteraction[title={...}]

is implemented.

Aditya

* Re: Using \pdfnames and friends.
@ 2011-01-25 16:07       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-01-25 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@free.fr> wrote:
> Thanks Luigi (don't know why your answer doesn't show up above.)
>
> But now I have another question. When I do:
>
> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtoinfo("Title", "My work")}
>
> The Title field in the Info dictionary is correctly set, but not in the xml
> Metadata, which uses jobname instead. Hence, Acrobat shows jobname as the
> document's title (even though other viewers, which don't understand
> metadata, display "My work").
>
> So: how do I set the title correctly both in Info and Metadata?
hm, I suspect that metadata are very sensible for PDF/A,
so they should be managed with care.
Perhaps
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-xmp.lua
gives  some hint

--
luigi

* Re: Using \pdfnames and friends.
@ 2011-01-25 16:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-25 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25-1-2011 2:35, Paul Isambert wrote:
> Answering myself: I should use:
>
> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtonames("EmbeddedFiles", lpdf.reference(22))
> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtocatalog("PageMode", lpdf.constant("UseOutlines"))}
>
> (Apparently I can't do that directly with \pdfbackendsetname/catalog,
> the second argument is taken as a string.)
> I hope that's the correct answer and not a hack.

There are mechanisms for embedding files, like

   backends.codeinjections.embedfile(filename)

However, a nametree is not constructed (as with forms these are not
mandate, but with forms they are better be there due to initialization).
Anyhow, I added this now:

local function flushembeddedfiles()
     if next(filestreams) then
         local e = pdfarray()
         for name, reference in next, filestreams do
             if reference then
                 e[#e+1] = pdfstring(name)
                 e[#e+1] = reference -- already a reference
             else
                 -- we can issue a message
             end
         end

lpdf.addtonames("EmbeddedFiles",pdfreference(pdfflushobject(pdfdictionary{
Names = e })))
     end
end

lpdf.registerdocumentfinalizer(flushembeddedfiles,"embeddedfiles")

As with most of these things, it's best to use the interface and not
push things in the file directly as it might render existing
functionality ineffective. Examples are color related resources.

In a similar fashion Pagemode is not to be set directly. There is

   \setupinteractionscreen

for this (with a low level lua setupcanvas variant). As some of the
parameters influence each other they are dealt with at another moment.
Also, some of the parameters are ignored or overloaded when a chosen
pdf/x standard has rules that concern them.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-01-25 20:32     ` Paul Isambert
From: Paul Isambert @ 2011-01-25 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 25/01/2011 17:26, Hans Hagen a écrit :
> On 25-1-2011 2:35, Paul Isambert wrote:
>> Answering myself: I should use:
>>
>> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtonames("EmbeddedFiles", lpdf.reference(22))
>> \ctxlua{lpdf.addtocatalog("PageMode", lpdf.constant("UseOutlines"))}
>>
>> (Apparently I can't do that directly with \pdfbackendsetname/catalog,
>> the second argument is taken as a string.)
>> I hope that's the correct answer and not a hack.
>
> There are mechanisms for embedding files, like
>
>   backends.codeinjections.embedfile(filename)
>
> However, a nametree is not constructed (as with forms these are not
> mandate, but with forms they are better be there due to
> initialization). Anyhow, I added this now:
>
> local function flushembeddedfiles()
>     if next(filestreams) then
>         local e = pdfarray()
>         for name, reference in next, filestreams do
>             if reference then
>                 e[#e+1] = pdfstring(name)
>                 e[#e+1] = reference -- already a reference
>             else
>                 -- we can issue a message
>             end
>         end
>
> lpdf.addtonames("EmbeddedFiles",pdfreference(pdfflushobject(pdfdictionary{
> Names = e })))
>     end
> end
>
> lpdf.registerdocumentfinalizer(flushembeddedfiles,"embeddedfiles")
>
> As with most of these things, it's best to use the interface and not
> push things in the file directly as it might render existing
> functionality ineffective. Examples are color related resources.
>
> In a similar fashion Pagemode is not to be set directly. There is
>
>   \setupinteractionscreen
>
> for this (with a low level lua setupcanvas variant). As some of the
> parameters influence each other they are dealt with at another moment.
> Also, some of the parameters are ignored or overloaded when a chosen
> pdf/x standard has rules that concern them.

Thank you very much for your answers, Luigi, Aditya, and Hans.

Actually, I'm finishing up a package with PDF support. As usual, I
wanted it to work with all formats. I suspected it wouldn't be very
interesting for ConTeXt, since you probably have all you need, but I
thought if it works for plain it'll work for ConTeXt. I also suspected
conflicts might arise, though, and what Hans says convinces me I'd
better drop support for ConTeXt, because at best it'll just add an
interface on top of the existing one, and at worst it'll break things up
(not to mention the extra coding for me). I'll provide the wrapper file
for ConTeXt anyway, because who knows, but I won't make any special
effort nor cause trouble.

Thanks again,
Paul