From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: news3@nililand.de
Subject: Re: Using virtual  fonts defined with lua-code
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 17:07:39 +0100	[thread overview]

On 8-2-2011 3:46, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 03:13:11PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 8-2-2011 10:40, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The luatex documentation contains in section "7.2.2 Example virtual
>>> font" an example how to define a virtual font "cmr10-red". The font
>>> is defined by adding the code to the define_font callback.
>>>
>>> Does some interface exists in contex/mkiv which allows to use such
>>> virtual fonts together with the normal font loading code? E.g. could
>>> I move the code for the font to some file ("cmr10-red.vflua") so
>>> that a request \font\mytest="cmr10-red" will simply find this file
>>> and use the code like vf, tfm or otf-files are found and used when
>>> needed?
>>
>> It's relatively easy to add support for that. However, when I've
>> done that Khaled has to make sure that it also works in his wrapper
>> code as I don't know to what extend he overloads code. I can only
>> test in the plain variant and context.
>
> I keep it as minimal as possible (I've even some "feature requests" to
> keep our local changes more smaller, but no time to check it now).

You only need to load one extra file:

     loadmodule('font-lua.lua')

Then, if

   \font\mine=file:luatex-fonts-demo-vf-1.lua at 12pt

   \mine \input tufte \par

works ok, you're fine, otherwise you can delay integration. As lua
lookup is not part of any font scheme best use an explicit suffix (the
file: is not mandate, at least not in context).

It's anyway the user's responsibility to return a proper tfm table so no
one can bother us about it not working as expected -)

(For context users there is actually some more virtual building code but
as it's somewhat experimental I will clean that up before documenting it.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE