* (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-16 14:00 Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-03-16 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

like others before, I tried to get the script alphabet from Ralph
Smith's Formal Font to work in MkIV (minimals) and failed. There seems
to be only outdated or unclear and unspecific information about where to
start with fonts available. Or: there is information everywhere but I
can't put it together.

I downloaded a rsfs.zip from [1] containing .mf, .pfb, .afm, .pfm files
and a .map file. It seems to be a type1 font.

The manual [2] states, that a script texfont.pl can do install the font.
Mojca said [3] on the mailing list that texfont is not the way to go, so
I didn't try to go further in that direction.

Do I need .tfm files? If so, how to get them?

I put the "rsfs" directory with its subdirs from the .zip to the folder
c:\context\tex\texmf-fonts\fonts\data\ as Wolfgang suggested [4] and ran
"context --generate". I seems as if this did not install the font, but I
have no idea. How can I check this?

\definefont[rsfs][file:rsfs*default]
\starttext
\rsfs ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
\stoptext

just gave me the alphabet in default font. Is there a way to ask ConTeXt
which fonts (or does ConTeXt "know" typescripts?) it knows?

In addition, I tried the example from Hans and Otared at [5] which
crashes on my installation (error log appended at the end).

I don't know how to proceed here. Hopefully someone from this list can
assist me. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Stefan

[1] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/rsfs/
[2] http://pmrb.free.fr/contextref.pdf
[3]
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20101213.120015.795450f2.en.html
[4]
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20101214.102347.a6a2216f.en.html
[5]
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100414.122529.bc3ba584.en.html

mtx-context     | warning: syntex is enabled
mtx-context     | run 1: luatex --synctex=1
--fmt="C:/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/formats/cont-en"
--lua="C:/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/formats/cont-en.lui"
--backend="pdf" "./rsfs_test.tex"
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.66.0-2011021923 (rev 4086)
  \write18 enabled.
(rsfs_test.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.02.25 22:03 MKIV  fmt: 2011.3.16  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > rsfs_test.top loaded
(rsfs_test.top)
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
(C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv)
(C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv){C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}{C:/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
system          > begin file rsfs_test.tex at line 41
backend         > xmp > using file
'C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
system          > end file rsfs_test.tex at line 57

){C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-mathsy.enc}{C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-mathit.enc}<C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf><C:/context/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/rsfs/type1/rsfs10.pfbType1:
Could not understand Type1 font:
C:/context/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/rsfs/type1/rsfs10.pfb
mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 1

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-16 15:58 ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-03-16 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:00, Stefan Müller <warrence.stm@gmx.de> wrote:
> like others before, I tried to get the script alphabet from Ralph Smith's
> Formal Font to work in MkIV (minimals) and failed. There seems to be only
> outdated or unclear and unspecific information about where to start with
> fonts available. Or: there is information everywhere but I can't put it
> together.
>
> I downloaded a rsfs.zip from [1] containing .mf, .pfb, .afm, .pfm files and
> a .map file. It seems to be a type1 font.
>
> The manual [2] states, that a script texfont.pl can do install the font.
> Mojca said [3] on the mailing list that texfont is not the way to go, so I
> didn't try to go further in that direction.
>
> Do I need .tfm files? If so, how to get them?

You don't need tfm files and you don't need to use texfont.pl.

> I put the "rsfs" directory with its subdirs from the .zip to the folder
> c:\context\tex\texmf-fonts\fonts\data\ as Wolfgang suggested [4] and ran
> "context --generate". I seems as if this did not install the font, but I
> have no idea. How can I check this?

For mkiv minimals, the following should work:
a) Install font as appropriate for your OS.
b) Make sure OS font directory containing font pfb file is included in OSFONTDIR
c) Update LuaTeX's font info by running   mtxrun --script fonts --reload
d) Check the list of fonts using   mtxrun --script fonts --list --all
--pattern=*

At that point you have the font known to LuaTeX. Then you need to set
it up in your document; I posted a full example of that a while back,
it's at http://pastebin.tlhiv.org/9GeRRcI4
but I haven't put it into the wiki yet.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-17  9:05   ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-03-17  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi mathew,

thanks for your reply!

On 16.03.2011 16:58, mathew wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:00, Stefan Müller<warrence.stm@gmx.de>  wrote:
[...]
>> I put the "rsfs" directory with its subdirs from the .zip to the folder
>> c:\context\tex\texmf-fonts\fonts\data\ as Wolfgang suggested [4] and ran
>> "context --generate". I seems as if this did not install the font, but I
>> have no idea. How can I check this?
>
> For mkiv minimals, the following should work:
> a) Install font as appropriate for your OS.

I'm using Windows Vista 64bit and installed the rsfs font by
right-clicking the .pfm files. I thought I had to use the .pfb files,
but Windows did not recognize those and didn't show "Install" in the
context menu. After installing the .pfm files I could find them in
"C:\Windows\Fonts".

> b) Make sure OS font directory containing font pfb file is included in OSFONTDIR

Is this a typo and do you mean .pfm file? Otherwise I don't get it.
Should I just copy the .pfb files to "C:\Windows\Fonts", too? Did
something went wrong with installation?

When running "mtxrun --script fonts --reload"

> c) Update LuaTeX's font info by running   mtxrun --script fonts --reload

there were the lines

fonts           | names | identifying system font files with suffix otf
fonts           | names | adding path from OSFONTDIR: c:/windows/fonts
fonts           | names | adding path from fontconfig file: c:/windows/fonts

in the output, so I guess OSFONTDIR is correct (where would I change it,
anyway?) as "c:/windows/fonts" is considered. Here mtxrun tries to
identify fonts with a number of "suffixes". It only consideres otf, ttf,
ttc, dfont and afm (and caps versions). Shouldn't there be pfm or pfb as
well?

> d) Check the list of fonts using   mtxrun --script fonts --list --all
> --pattern=*

I tried this and got a lot of fonts (around 900) printed to screen,
however "rsfs" was not present in this list.

What did I wrong? Thank you very much for your patience!

Best regards,
Stefan

> At that point you have the font known to LuaTeX. Then you need to set
> it up in your document; I posted a full example of that a while back,
> it's at http://pastebin.tlhiv.org/9GeRRcI4
> but I haven't put it into the wiki yet.
>

> mathew

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-17 12:40     ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2011-03-17 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:05:17 +0100 schrieb Stefan Müller:

> Is this a typo and do you mean .pfm file? Otherwise I don't get it.
> Should I just copy the .pfb files to "C:\Windows\Fonts", too?

You need both pfm and pfb in the fonts folder. But windows probably
pulled the pfb along with the pfm when you told it to install the
font.

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-17 13:41       ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-03-17 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Ah, thanks for that. Indeed, there are .pfm and .pfb files in the Fonts
directory now. But still

mtxrun --script fonts --reload

doesn't seem to check for those file types...

Best regards,
Stefan.

On 17.03.2011 13:40, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:05:17 +0100 schrieb Stefan Müller:
>
>> Is this a typo and do you mean .pfm file? Otherwise I don't get it.
>> Should I just copy the .pfb files to "C:\Windows\Fonts", too?
>
> You need both pfm and pfb in the fonts folder. But windows probably
> pulled the pfb along with the pfm when you told it to install the
> font.

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-17 15:04     ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-03-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 04:05, Stefan Müller <warrence.stm@gmx.de> wrote:
> I'm using Windows Vista 64bit and installed the rsfs font by right-clicking
> the .pfm files. I thought I had to use the .pfb files, but Windows did not
> recognize those and didn't show "Install" in the context menu. After
> installing the .pfm files I could find them in "C:\Windows\Fonts".

.pfb is "Printer Font, Binary".
.pfa is "Printer Font, ASCII".
.pfm is Printer Font Metrics, binary.
.afm is Adobe Font Metrics, ASCII.

Typically each font will have a set of outlines in a pfb or pfa file,
and a set of metrics in a pfm or afm file. For Windows, you want the
pfb and pfm files.

> Is this a typo and do you mean .pfm file? Otherwise I don't get it. Should I
> just copy the .pfb files to "C:\Windows\Fonts", too? Did something went
> wrong with installation?

On Windows 7, the OS will identify only the .pfm file as the actual
font. However, when you install the font by opening it and clicking
the "Install" button, Windows invisibly locates the matching .pfb file
from the same directory, and copies them both to the C:\Windows\Fonts
directory.

It then hides the separate files from you. However, you can open the
command line prompt and cd to \windows\fonts and use dir to see them.

> fonts           | names | identifying system font files with suffix otf
> fonts           | names | adding path from OSFONTDIR: c:/windows/fonts
> fonts           | names | adding path from fontconfig file: c:/windows/fonts
>
> in the output, so I guess OSFONTDIR is correct (where would I change it,
> anyway?) as "c:/windows/fonts" is considered.

Yes, looks like it's correct.

You'd change it by setting an environment variable.
http://www.itechtalk.com/thread3595.html

> Here mtxrun tries to identify
> fonts with a number of "suffixes". It only consideres otf, ttf, ttc, dfont
> and afm (and caps versions). Shouldn't there be pfm or pfb as well?

On Linux, it seems to scan for .afm files, as that's what Linux
expects and installs in preference to pfm. I'd expect the Windows
version to scan for .pfm, but I've never run any kind of TeX under
Windows.

To be honest, I did have problems getting LuaTeX and XeTeX to
recognize the PostScript fonts installed with GhostScript, so I
eventually removed them from my font path. My general conclusion is
that life is a lot, lot simpler if you throw away all your Type 1
fonts and replace them with OpenType versions. (I used fontforge to
convert the few that I really wanted to keep.)

Also, if you can find out what TeX is looking for, there are tools to
convert between pfb and pfa, and between afm and pfm.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-17 16:12         ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-03-17 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stefan,

It seems that somehow on your system the rsfs font is not seen by mkiv.
In fact after the following command
	mtxrun --script fonts --reload
you should say
	mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=rsfs

in order to see whether any rsfs font is detected by mkiv.
If the fonts are not listed it means that either the fonts are not on your system, or mkiv does not see them because they are not at the right place.

Best regards: OK

On 17 mars 2011, at 14:41, Stefan Müller wrote:

> Ah, thanks for that. Indeed, there are .pfm and .pfb files in the Fonts directory now. But still
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>
> doesn't seem to check for those file types...
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan.
>
> On 17.03.2011 13:40, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Am Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:05:17 +0100 schrieb Stefan Müller:
>>
>>> Is this a typo and do you mean .pfm file? Otherwise I don't get it.
>>> Should I just copy the .pfb files to "C:\Windows\Fonts", too?
>>
>> You need both pfm and pfb in the fonts folder. But windows probably
>> pulled the pfb along with the pfm when you told it to install the
>> font.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 avenue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-17 16:53           ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-03-17 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

So... I think I got somewhere now with the explanations from you and mathew.

It seems that the problem were the missing .afm files (as mtxrun wanted
those, not .pfm nor .pfb). I found two different solutions A and B:

(1) Install fonts (.pfm) in Windows

(2A) Put .afm files to C:\Windows\Fonts
(2B) Put the complete rsfs (containing the .afm and all the other stuff)
directory to texmf-fonts\fonts

(3) Run "mtxrun --script fonts --reload"

(4) Running "mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=rsfs" shows
the fonts
(Note the "--all", otherwise only one is printed)

There are two things now, that are somehow strange to me:

- In both versions, step (1) seems to be mandatory. I would expect, that
the rsfs directory in texmf-fonts\fonts should be enough, as mtxrun
clearly searches there and all the files are there, too. I don't
understand the problem here.

- If the .pfm and .pfb files are sufficient for Windows, why does mtxrun
specifically search for .afm files and not also for .pfm?

Anyhow, the fonts are finally listed/recognized by mtxrun.
Unfortunately, the example at
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100414.122529.bc3ba584.en.html still
doesn't show me the rsfs font, only a default font. Probably I just have
to look into that (and the example from mathew) tomorrow.

Best regards and thanks so far,
Stefan.

From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-03-17 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.03.2011 16:04, mathew wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 04:05, Stefan Müller<warrence.stm@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> I'm using Windows Vista 64bit and installed the rsfs font by right-clicking
>> the .pfm files. I thought I had to use the .pfb files, but Windows did not
>> recognize those and didn't show "Install" in the context menu. After
>> installing the .pfm files I could find them in "C:\Windows\Fonts".
>
> .pfb is "Printer Font, Binary".
> .pfa is "Printer Font, ASCII".
> .pfm is Printer Font Metrics, binary.
> .afm is Adobe Font Metrics, ASCII.
>
> Typically each font will have a set of outlines in a pfb or pfa file,
> and a set of metrics in a pfm or afm file. For Windows, you want the
> pfb and pfm files.
>
>> Is this a typo and do you mean .pfm file? Otherwise I don't get it. Should I
>> just copy the .pfb files to "C:\Windows\Fonts", too? Did something went
>> wrong with installation?
>
> On Windows 7, the OS will identify only the .pfm file as the actual
> font. However, when you install the font by opening it and clicking
> the "Install" button, Windows invisibly locates the matching .pfb file
> from the same directory, and copies them both to the C:\Windows\Fonts
> directory.
>
> It then hides the separate files from you. However, you can open the
> command line prompt and cd to \windows\fonts and use dir to see them.

Yeah, I just figured that out. I love that about Windows...

>> fonts           | names | identifying system font files with suffix otf
>> fonts           | names | adding path from OSFONTDIR: c:/windows/fonts
>> fonts           | names | adding path from fontconfig file: c:/windows/fonts
>>
>> in the output, so I guess OSFONTDIR is correct (where would I change it,
>> anyway?) as "c:/windows/fonts" is considered.
>
> Yes, looks like it's correct.
>
> You'd change it by setting an environment variable.
> http://www.itechtalk.com/thread3595.html

Yes, I thought so. I just asked, because I couldn't find an environment
variable with that name. Even after "setuptex.bat" typing "echo
%OSFONTDIR%" did only print "%OSFONTDIR%" and not a list of paths, as I
expected.

>> Here mtxrun tries to identify
>> fonts with a number of "suffixes". It only consideres otf, ttf, ttc, dfont
>> and afm (and caps versions). Shouldn't there be pfm or pfb as well?
>
> On Linux, it seems to scan for .afm files, as that's what Linux
> expects and installs in preference to pfm. I'd expect the Windows
> version to scan for .pfm, but I've never run any kind of TeX under
> Windows.
>
> To be honest, I did have problems getting LuaTeX and XeTeX to
> recognize the PostScript fonts installed with GhostScript, so I
> eventually removed them from my font path. My general conclusion is
> that life is a lot, lot simpler if you throw away all your Type 1
> fonts and replace them with OpenType versions. (I used fontforge to
> convert the few that I really wanted to keep.)
>
> Also, if you can find out what TeX is looking for, there are tools to
> convert between pfb and pfa, and between afm and pfm.
>

> mathew

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18  2:42         ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-03-18  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:53, Stefan Müller wrote:
> Yes, I thought so. I just asked, because I couldn't find an environment variable with that name. Even after "setuptex.bat" typing "echo %OSFONTDIR%" did only print "%OSFONTDIR%" and not a list of paths, as I expected.

There are defaults baked into the binaries. If you don't set the environment variable, you get the built-in defaults. That's generally how things work on Unix.

On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:53, Stefan Müller wrote:
> (2A) Put .afm files to C:\Windows\Fonts
> (2B) Put the complete rsfs (containing the .afm and all the other stuff) directory to texmf-fonts\fonts

Right... From the point of view of ConTeXt/LuaTeX use, there's no need for the fonts to be installed in Windows; you just need to have all the files somewhere that OSFONTDIR (or the default font paths) will point. The font outlines will be embedded into the PDF by default, so the OS doesn't need to have access to them.

> - In both versions, step (1) seems to be mandatory. I would expect, that the rsfs directory in texmf-fonts\fonts should be enough, as mtxrun clearly searches there and all the files are there, too. I don't understand the problem here.

Hmm, that *would* explain my problem with getting GhostScript's Type 1 fonts working... I must investigate further!

> - If the .pfm and .pfb files are sufficient for Windows, why does mtxrun specifically search for .afm files and not also for .pfm?

Probably because mtxrun (and the rest of ConTeXt and LuaTeX) are written for Unix and ported to Windows, and Unix uses .afm files for metrics. (Except OS X, which is different for historical reasons.)

That and .afm files are much easier to work with because they're text files.

But it might not be a bad idea for LuaTeX to automatically perform a pfm2afm conversion and cache the converted files when necessary, and probably not that hard to code. On the other hand, Type 1 fonts are legacy at this point, so it might not be worth it.

mathew

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18  3:27           ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-03-18  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:42:38PM -0500, mathew wrote:
> > - If the .pfm and .pfb files are sufficient for Windows, why does
> > mtxrun specifically search for .afm files and not also for .pfm?
>
> Probably because mtxrun (and the rest of ConTeXt and LuaTeX) are
> written for Unix and ported to Windows, and Unix uses .afm files for
> metrics. (Except OS X, which is different for historical reasons.)
>
> That and .afm files are much easier to work with because they're text
> files.

AFAIK, ConTeXt needs afm files to load type1 files, something related to
encoding the font and ligatures/kerning. So you need bot afm and bfb/bfa
files together somewhere context searches for fonts and it should work.
PFM files are not needed at all (dunno what they are for actually, some
obscure windows thing I guess).

> But it might not be a bad idea for LuaTeX to automatically perform a
> pfm2afm conversion and cache the converted files when necessary, and
> probably not that hard to code. On the other hand, Type 1 fonts are
> legacy at this point, so it might not be worth it.

LuaTeX can load afm files thanks to the embedded, fontforge derived,
font loader, but AFAIK it does not handle pfm files at all.

Hans considers type1 fonts obsolete (and I agree with him :)) and he is
unlikely to put much effort into supporting them.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 10:04             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-18 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-3-2011 4:27, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>> But it might not be a bad idea for LuaTeX to automatically perform a
>> pfm2afm conversion and cache the converted files when necessary, and
>> probably not that hard to code. On the other hand, Type 1 fonts are
>> legacy at this point, so it might not be worth it.
>
> LuaTeX can load afm files thanks to the embedded, fontforge derived,
> font loader, but AFAIK it does not handle pfm files at all.
>
> Hans considers type1 fonts obsolete (and I agree with him :)) and he is
> unlikely to put much effort into supporting them.

Indeed. I kicked out the last encoding related code a while ago.

Also, I only consider a type 1 font okay when it has both an afm and a
pfb file and mkiv can handle that quite well (even beyond the regular
tex encodings). Personally I need it for fonts that I have bought and
don't want to buy again.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 11:26           ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-03-18 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18.03.2011 03:42, mathew wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:53, Stefan Müller wrote:
>> Yes, I thought so. I just asked, because I couldn't find an environment variable with that name. Even after "setuptex.bat" typing "echo %OSFONTDIR%" did only print "%OSFONTDIR%" and not a list of paths, as I expected.
>
> There are defaults baked into the binaries. If you don't set the environment variable, you get the built-in defaults. That's generally how things work on Unix.

Alright, that would explain it.

> On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:53, Stefan Müller wrote:
>> (2A) Put .afm files to C:\Windows\Fonts
>> (2B) Put the complete rsfs (containing the .afm and all the other stuff) directory to texmf-fonts\fonts
>
> Right... From the point of view of ConTeXt/LuaTeX use, there's no need for the fonts to be installed in Windows; you just need to have all the files somewhere that OSFONTDIR (or the default font paths) will point. The font outlines will be embedded into the PDF by default, so the OS doesn't need to have access to them.

The point I was trying to make here was that on my system I _needed_ to
install the fonts in Windows first. Otherwise mtxrun wouldn't find them,
no matter where the afm files were. This is maybe because of the
directory structure, but I have no idea, especially as somewhere it was
stated that I should just "put the directory there".

I have the following:
texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ *.mf
texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ *.pfb
texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ afm \ *.afm
texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ map \ *.map
texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ pfm \ *.pfm

mtxrun finds the pfb (pfm) in C:\Windows\Fonts and the afm files here.
But it doesn't look for the pfb (pfm) in texmf-fonts... Is this because
of the "legacy" issue? It's pretty inconvenient.

>> - In both versions, step (1) seems to be mandatory. I would expect, that the rsfs directory in texmf-fonts\fonts should be enough, as mtxrun clearly searches there and all the files are there, too. I don't understand the problem here.
>
> Hmm, that *would* explain my problem with getting GhostScript's Type 1 fonts working... I must investigate further!
>
>> - If the .pfm and .pfb files are sufficient for Windows, why does mtxrun specifically search for .afm files and not also for .pfm?
>
> Probably because mtxrun (and the rest of ConTeXt and LuaTeX) are written for Unix and ported to Windows, and Unix uses .afm files for metrics. (Except OS X, which is different for historical reasons.)
>
> That and .afm files are much easier to work with because they're text files.
>
> But it might not be a bad idea for LuaTeX to automatically perform a pfm2afm conversion and cache the converted files when necessary, and probably not that hard to code. On the other hand, Type 1 fonts are legacy at this point, so it might not be worth it.
>

> mathew

I'll keep in mind that the type1 fonts are obsolete. I just thought it
would be a nice idea to try "getting some font" with the rsfs first, as
there were "full examples" (which do not work here for some reason) on
the mailing list.

Thanks for the help,
Stefan.

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 11:39             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-18 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-3-2011 12:26, Stefan Müller wrote:

> I have the following:
> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ *.mf
> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ *.pfb
> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ afm \ *.afm
> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ map \ *.map
> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ pfm \ *.pfm

just put the pfb and afm files (forget about map files)

texmf-fonts/fonts/data/rsfs

and run "mtxrun --generate" afterwards

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 14:40               ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-03-18 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 05:04, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Also, I only consider a type 1 font okay when it has both an afm and a pfb
> file and mkiv can handle that quite well (even beyond the regular tex
> encodings). Personally I need it for fonts that I have bought and don't want
> to buy again.

Same here, but I found it easier to convert my fonts to OpenType by

I still have a mystery regarding the type 1 fonts installed with
GhostScript, though:

\definetypeface [dingbats][ss][sans][dingbats][default]
\starttext
{\dingbats \uchar{39}{7}\uchar{39}{13}\uchar{39}{42}}
\stoptext

produces no visible output, yet...

$ mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=dingbat*
dingbats         dingbats   /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm
dingbatsnormal   dingbats   /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm
$ ls /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l*
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.pfb
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.pfm
$

This is with minimals and LuaTeX on Ubuntu. Get info on the PDF in
Okular shows no Type 1 fonts embedded.

(Also, is uchar intended to be a documented feature?)

mathew

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 14:47               ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-03-18 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed, that works! Thank you very much. So again, structure matters.

Kind regards,
Stefan.

On 18.03.2011 12:39, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 18-3-2011 12:26, Stefan Müller wrote:
>
>> I have the following:
>> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ *.mf
>> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ *.pfb
>> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ afm \ *.afm
>> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ map \ *.map
>> texmf-fonts \ fonts \ rsfs \ type1 \ pfm \ *.pfm
>
> just put the pfb and afm files (forget about map files)
>
> texmf-fonts/fonts/data/rsfs
>
> and run "mtxrun --generate" afterwards
>
> Hans

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 14:51                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-18 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-3-2011 3:40, mathew wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 05:04, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> Also, I only consider a type 1 font okay when it has both an afm and a pfb
>> file and mkiv can handle that quite well (even beyond the regular tex
>> encodings). Personally I need it for fonts that I have bought and don't want
>> to buy again.
>
> Same here, but I found it easier to convert my fonts to OpenType by
>
> I still have a mystery regarding the type 1 fonts installed with
> GhostScript, though:
>
> \definetypeface [dingbats][ss][sans][dingbats][default]

this assumes a dingbats typescript

> \starttext
> {\dingbats \uchar{39}{7}\uchar{39}{13}\uchar{39}{42}}
> \stoptext

{\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x39}}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 16:01                   ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-03-18 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:51, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 18-3-2011 3:40, mathew wrote:
>> \definetypeface [dingbats][ss][sans][dingbats][default]
>
> this assumes a dingbats typescript

Sorry, I omitted that when copying my code...

>> \starttext
>> {\dingbats \uchar{39}{7}\uchar{39}{13}\uchar{39}{42}}
>> \stoptext
>
> {\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x39}}

\starttypescript [sans][dingbats][name]
  \definefontsynonym [Sans][name:dingbats]
\stoptypescript
\definetypeface [dingbats][ss][sans][dingbats][default]
\starttext
{\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x272a}}

Or here's the character directly: ✪
\stoptext

...still not working. But KCharSelect says that the Dingbats font has
a glyph at 0x272a.

fonts           > fallback modern rm 12pt is loaded
system          > begin file makeup.tex at line 5
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'dingbats' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font dingbats, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define dingbats as \**currentsymbolfont**
backend         > xmp > using file
'/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'

And yet if I run mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=* | grep dingbats
immediately after that ConTeXt run, in the same shell session, I see:
dingbats                             dingbats
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm
dingbatsnormal                       dingbats
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm

Also doesn't work if I reference the afm file directly using
  \definefontsynonym [sans][/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm]

mathew

* Re: (RSFS) font installation
@ 2011-03-18 18:30                     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]                       ` <AANLkTinWPdN-H6TPNato9PG7Fh0PzvfS0PkHXehzbt6J@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-3-2011 5:01, mathew wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:51, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> On 18-3-2011 3:40, mathew wrote:
>>> \definetypeface [dingbats][ss][sans][dingbats][default]
>>
>> this assumes a dingbats typescript
>
> Sorry, I omitted that when copying my code...
>
>>> \starttext
>>> {\dingbats \uchar{39}{7}\uchar{39}{13}\uchar{39}{42}}
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> {\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x39}}
>
> \starttypescript [sans][dingbats][name]
>    \definefontsynonym [Sans][name:dingbats]
> \stoptypescript
> \definetypeface [dingbats][ss][sans][dingbats][default]
> \starttext
> {\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x272a}}
>
> Or here's the character directly: ✪
> \stoptext
>
> ...still not working. But KCharSelect says that the Dingbats font has
> a glyph at 0x272a.
>
> fonts>  fallback modern rm 12pt is loaded
> system>  begin file makeup.tex at line 5
> fonts>  defining>  font with asked name 'dingbats' is not
> found using lookup 'file'
> fonts>  defining>  unknown font dingbats, loading aborted
> fonts>  defining>  unable to define dingbats as \**currentsymbolfont**
> backend>  xmp>  using file
> '/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
>
> And yet if I run mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=* | grep dingbats
> immediately after that ConTeXt run, in the same shell session, I see:
> dingbats                             dingbats
> /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm
> dingbatsnormal                       dingbats
> /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm
>
> Also doesn't work if I reference the afm file directly using
>    \definefontsynonym [sans][/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/d050000l.afm]

try

name:dingbats

or

file:d050000l

and no path

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* (RSFS) font installation
       [not found]                       ` <AANLkTinWPdN-H6TPNato9PG7Fh0PzvfS0PkHXehzbt6J@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-03-22 16:08                         ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-03-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

\starttypescript [sans][dingbats][name]
 \definefontsynonym [Sans][file:d050000l]
\stoptypescript
\definetypeface [dingbats][ss][sans][dingbats][default]
\starttext
{\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x272a}}

Or here's the character directly: ✪
\stoptext

Anyone else running Ubuntu who can confirm that this doesn't work
using the dingbats font installed by Ghostscript?

Also doesn't work if you replace file:d050000l with name:dingbats
 and yet:

@ 2011-03-22 16:55                           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-03-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/22/2011 05:08 PM, mathew wrote:
> {\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x272a}}

this won't do anything unless the glyph's *name* in the font is
actually 0x272a, which is unlikely (in my version of the ghostscript
font, the name of ✪ is "a37").

> Or here's the character directly: ✪

This does not work for two reasons: First, you have defined a typeface
dingbats, but have not switched to it. There is no font switch in the
line you used, so you are still in the normal latin modern font.

The second, and more important, reason why this does not work,
is because the ghostscript fonts have odd names for the dingbat
glyphs, and context has no way of knowing that they are actually
supposed to be in unicode encoding. So, you need a way to find
the glyph's name.

A (hopefully) working recipe follows.

First, run this file:

   \usemodule[fnt-10]
   \starttext
   \ShowCompleteFont{name:dingbats}{10pt}{1}
   \stoptext

that should give you five or six pages of output in columns:

Look at the output, then use the <actual glyph> to find the <glyph
name> for ✪ (as I said, for me that is "a37"). Having found the name,
you can get the glyph with this bit of code:

   \getnamedglyphdirect{name:dingbats}{a37} % for me

Best wishes,
Taco