* How to add a local texmf tree to context minimals?
@ 2011-03-23 18:31 Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2011-03-23 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I would like to make some test of my virtual-lua-chessfonts with the
context minimals. The files I want to test are in a small texmf
trees. How can I add this trees to the list of trees used by context
in a way that the changes are not lost after updates?

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: How to add a local texmf tree to context minimals?
@ 2011-03-23 18:47 ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-23 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

My solution to this is to make ---/context/tex/texmf-local a soft link to my texmf tree.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-03-23 19:08   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2011-03-23 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:47:47 +0100 schrieb Hans van der Meer:

>> I would like to make some test of my virtual-lua-chessfonts with the
>> context minimals. The files I want to test are in a small texmf
>> trees. How can I add this trees to the list of trees used by context
>> in a way that the changes are not lost after updates?
>>

> My solution to this is to make ---/context/tex/texmf-local a soft link to my texmf tree.

At first I'm on windows XP so I don't think that soft links would
work.

At second I want actually to add more than one tree ;-)

My main problem is that there quite a lot of configuration files
which look like good candidates (I found texmf.cnf, texmfcnf.lua,
context.cnt, contextcnf.lua.) and that I don't know where to put a
local version which will not be changed by updates.

--

@ 2011-03-23 22:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-23 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-3-2011 7:31, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> I would like to make some test of my virtual-lua-chessfonts with the
> context minimals. The files I want to test are in a small texmf
> trees. How can I add this trees to the list of trees used by context
> in a way that the changes are not lost after updates?

you can use texmf-project (or texmf-fonts) for that (just create them if
they are not there, the configuration handles it)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-03-23 22:30   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-03-23 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 23-3-2011 7:31, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> I would like to make some test of my virtual-lua-chessfonts with the
>> context minimals. The files I want to test are in a small texmf
>> trees. How can I add this trees to the list of trees used by context
>> in a way that the changes are not lost after updates?
>
> you can use texmf-project (or texmf-fonts) for that (just create them if they
> are not there, the configuration handles it)

But what if one needs multiple trees, say one tree for each package. I am
not sure what is the best way to set the trees in that case.

One could modify both texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua, but they will be
overwritten in the next update. In which tree can I copy these files so
that they are not overwritten when updating, but are still found by
luatools/kpsewhich.

One can set $TEXMFLOCAL, but that will be global (all TeX installations).

I usually copy setuptex to a different name, modify TEXMFLOCAL (or
whatever variable I want to change) in it, and then source this file
instead of setuptex[1]. But surely there should be a cleaner way to do
this.

Aditya

[1]: Actually, my installation scripts overwrite setuptex with this new
file, each time I update context.

* Re: How to add a local texmf tree to context minimals?
@ 2011-03-23 23:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-23 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-3-2011 11:30, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> One could modify both texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua, but they will be
> overwritten in the next update. In which tree can I copy these files so
> that they are not overwritten when updating, but are still found by
> luatools/kpsewhich.
>
> One can set $TEXMFLOCAL, but that will be global (all TeX installations).

or TEXMF

however, you can have a local texmfcnf.lua file .. first set values win

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-03-24  6:57     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-24  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:08, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> At second I want actually to add more than one tree ;-)
>
> My main problem is that there quite a lot of configuration files
> which look like good candidates (I found texmf.cnf, texmfcnf.lua,
> context.cnt, contextcnf.lua.) and that I don't know where to put a
> local version which will not be changed by updates.

texmf.cnf is for MKII and texmfcnf.lua is for MKIV. The files
context.cnf and contextcnf.lua are not used. They are usually just the
source for texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua, but they are not taken
automatically.

One way is to set environmental variables, but probably a better way
is to create a copy of texmf.cnf & texmfcnf.lua in texmf-local/web2c/
and change the TEXMF variable there. No, wait. texmf-local is not
known until texmf.cnf is actually read in (chicked-and-egg problem).
Can you please try to put texmf.cnf in top level (next to setuptex)
and see if mkii/kpathsea works that way (finds proper trees)? There is
a hardcoded algorithm with a list of paths that are checked for
texmf.cnf file, but I'm not sure what the sequence of those paths is.

For MKIV you can put texmfcnf.lua anywhere and then set the TEXMFCNF
environmental variable (I think, I'm not sure, I would have to try
again), but the better way is to make it work automatically in the
same way as for MKII, let's say by putting a modified version of
texmfcnf.lua two folders up.

Mojca

* Re: How to add a local texmf tree to context minimals?
@ 2011-03-24  9:26       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-24  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-3-2011 7:57, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:08, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>
>> At second I want actually to add more than one tree ;-)
>>
>> My main problem is that there quite a lot of configuration files
>> which look like good candidates (I found texmf.cnf, texmfcnf.lua,
>> context.cnt, contextcnf.lua.) and that I don't know where to put a
>> local version which will not be changed by updates.
>
> texmf.cnf is for MKII and texmfcnf.lua is for MKIV. The files
> context.cnf and contextcnf.lua are not used. They are usually just the
> source for texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua, but they are not taken
> automatically.
>
> One way is to set environmental variables, but probably a better way
> is to create a copy of texmf.cnf&  texmfcnf.lua in texmf-local/web2c/
> and change the TEXMF variable there. No, wait. texmf-local is not
> known until texmf.cnf is actually read in (chicked-and-egg problem).

Did you test it?

Just put a cnf there and run

mtxrun --configurations

and see what gets reported. Here I have one in the local tree because I
need to hook in my dev paths.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-03-24  9:39       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2011-03-24  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:57:36 +0100 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>> At second I want actually to add more than one tree ;-)

>> My main problem is that there quite a lot of configuration files
>> which look like good candidates (I found texmf.cnf, texmfcnf.lua,
>> context.cnt, contextcnf.lua.) and that I don't know where to put a
>> local version which will not be changed by updates.
>
> texmf.cnf is for MKII and texmfcnf.lua is for MKIV. The files
> context.cnf and contextcnf.lua are not used. They are usually just the
> source for texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua, but they are not taken
> automatically.
>
> One way is to set environmental variables, but probably a better way
> is to create a copy of texmf.cnf & texmfcnf.lua in texmf-local/web2c/
> and change the TEXMF variable there. No, wait. texmf-local is not
> known until texmf.cnf is actually read in (chicked-and-egg problem).
> Can you please try to put texmf.cnf in top level (next to setuptex)
> and see if mkii/kpathsea works that way (finds proper trees)? There is
> a hardcoded algorithm with a list of paths that are checked for
> texmf.cnf file, but I'm not sure what the sequence of those paths is.

It seems to work if I move texmfcnf.lua to texmf-local (even
unchanged it had an immediate effect: nothing worked anymore, until
I run a "mtxrun --generate" ;-).)

Now I have to find out, where to store the files so that both
context and latex can use them.

--

@ 2011-03-24  9:45         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:39, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> It seems to work if I move texmfcnf.lua to texmf-local (even
> unchanged it had an immediate effect: nothing worked anymore, until
> I run a "mtxrun --generate" ;-).)
>
> Now I have to find out, where to store the files so that both
> context and latex can use them.

If LaTeX needs a modified setup, you need to copy and adapt texmf.cnf
(like for MKII).

Mojca

(No, I admit that I didn't test if texmf.cnf in texmf-local works, but
I would find it at least a bit weird if it texmf-local would be
hardcoded into kpathsea.)

* Re: How to add a local texmf tree to context minimals?
@ 2011-03-24 10:08           ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2011-03-24 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:45:55 +0100 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:39, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>
>> It seems to work if I move texmfcnf.lua to texmf-local (even
>> unchanged it had an immediate effect: nothing worked anymore, until
>> I run a "mtxrun --generate" ;-).)
>>
>> Now I have to find out, where to store the files so that both
>> context and latex can use them.
>
> If LaTeX needs a modified setup, you need to copy and adapt texmf.cnf
> (like for MKII).

I'm using the latex from my miktex installation. The context minimal
are needed only for the context tests.

--

@ 2011-03-24 13:01             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-24 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:08, Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:45:55 +0100 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:39, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems to work if I move texmfcnf.lua to texmf-local (even
>>> unchanged it had an immediate effect: nothing worked anymore, until
>>> I run a "mtxrun --generate" ;-).)
>>>
>>> Now I have to find out, where to store the files so that both
>>> context and latex can use them.
>>
>> If LaTeX needs a modified setup, you need to copy and adapt texmf.cnf
>> (like for MKII).
>
> I'm using the latex from my miktex installation. The context minimal
> are needed only for the context tests.

In MikTeX you only need to open the GUI and add a new TeX root +
regenerate the FNDB (file name database).

Mojca