* problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-03-25 13:31 Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-25 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm using ConTeXt MKIV 2011.03.11 11:45 (I will try to upgrade first).
When I try to print the document from Mac (Skim.app) to two different
printers, I get pure junk on both of them (bold and italic fonts come
out semi-ok, but regular doesn't). If I print an older document or if
I compile the same document with MKII, the document prints out fine on
the same printer. The document also prints out fine when printing from
Linux.

I'm using one network PostScript printer and one network printer that
is most probably using PCL drivers and both generate junk. I'm using
"palatino" typescript.

Mac is well known for displaying Word-generated documents as
almost-pure-junk (one gets a different font and screwed up kerning
instead of the original font that one would see in Word or in
generated PDF when opened with Adobe Acrobat; but I'm not sure if it
is Apple or Microsoft that have buggy software in that case) and for
crashing on documents using smooth shading patterns.

Does anyone have any suggestion how I could figure out what is wrong
with the document? I would like to figure out if it is LuaTeX's or
Apple's fault that it behaves so weird. (Can I send a document to
PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)

Mojca

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-03-25 13:35 ` luigi scarso
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-03-25 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
>
> I'm using ConTeXt MKIV 2011.03.11 11:45 (I will try to upgrade first).
> When I try to print the document from Mac (Skim.app) to two different
> printers, I get pure junk on both of them (bold and italic fonts come
> out semi-ok, but regular doesn't). If I print an older document or if
> I compile the same document with MKII, the document prints out fine on
> the same printer. The document also prints out fine when printing from
> Linux.
>
> I'm using one network PostScript printer and one network printer that
> is most probably using PCL drivers and both generate junk. I'm using
> "palatino" typescript.
>
> Mac is well known for displaying Word-generated documents as
> almost-pure-junk (one gets a different font and screwed up kerning
> instead of the original font that one would see in Word or in
> generated PDF when opened with Adobe Acrobat; but I'm not sure if it
> is Apple or Microsoft that have buggy software in that case) and for
> crashing on documents using smooth shading patterns.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion how I could figure out what is wrong
> with the document? I would like to figure out if it is LuaTeX's or
> Apple's fault that it behaves so weird. (Can I send a document to
> PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
> Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)
opentype vs type 1
pdf version of mkiv vs pdf version of mkii

--
luigi

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-03-25 15:52 ` Hagmann Jörg
From: Hagmann Jörg @ 2011-03-25 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe related:

Printing on a network printer (from a Mac through Skim) prints the first page correctly, at the top of the second page it prints:
--------------------
ERROR: invalidfont
OFFENDING COMMAND: 	definefont

STACK:

/Font
-dictionary~
/YYMGGN+LinBiolinumO
--------------------

Printing from Acrobat Professional works correctly.

Jörg

@ 2011-03-25 16:40 ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2011-03-25 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm using ConTeXt MKIV 2011.03.11 11:45 (I will try to upgrade first).
> When I try to print the document from Mac (Skim.app) to two different
> printers, I get pure junk on both of them (bold and italic fonts come
> out semi-ok, but regular doesn't).

I have the same setup here and palatino documents print fine. I do both: send the raw pdf to a cups server (let it deal with it) and convert the pdf to pcl prior to sending it to the printer.

> If I print an older document or if
> I compile the same document with MKII, the document prints out fine on
> the same printer. The document also prints out fine when printing from
> Linux.

Do you have multiple versions of the TeXGyre Pagella installed? Maybe one of them is corrupt.

You might want to try outline the fonts and strip them from the document:

gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOCACHE -sOutputFile=nofont-Myfile.ps -q -dbatch -dNOPAUSE Myfile.pdf -c quit

Optionally convert back to pdf with ps2pdf and try print that file. If ghostscript complains right away the problem is not your printer.

> I'm using one network PostScript printer and one network printer that
> is most probably using PCL drivers and both generate junk. I'm using
> "palatino" typescript.

Can you print to CUPS-PDF? Or do you get rubbish as well?

> (Can I send a document to
> PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
> Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)

Why not? PostScript printers should handle nofont-Myfile.ps (see above).

Florian

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-03-25 17:18   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 17:40, Florian Wobbe wrote:

> Do you have multiple versions of the TeXGyre Pagella installed? Maybe one of them is corrupt.

I don't have it installed. It is in my TeX tree. But if mine is
corrupt, everyone's font is corrupt (or my disk is corrupt).

> You might want to try outline the fonts and strip them from the document:
>
> gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOCACHE -sOutputFile=nofont-Myfile.ps -q -dbatch -dNOPAUSE Myfile.pdf -c quit
>
> Optionally convert back to pdf with ps2pdf and try print that file. If ghostscript complains right away the problem is not your printer.

Ghostscript doesn't complain and the resulting file prints out fine.
(The original one still doesn't.)

>> I'm using one network PostScript printer and one network printer that
>> is most probably using PCL drivers and both generate junk. I'm using
>> "palatino" typescript.
>
> Can you print to CUPS-PDF? Or do you get rubbish as well?

I need to install that first.

>> (Can I send a document to
>> PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
>> Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)
>
> Why not? PostScript printers should handle nofont-Myfile.ps (see above).

My question is more like "how can I do that". I remember using
something like "copy \path\to\printer" on windows long time ago, but
I'm not sure how to do the same on Mac.

Btw: printer specifications says "direct PDF (v 1.4) printing", so I
guess that I should be able to send the PDF straight to printer ... if
I only knew how to do that.

@ 2011-03-25 17:28     ` Mojca Miklavec
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTimm6PjxbzKft=pwdNu6CSz2yWVEOzZH7bEDMVcO@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 18:18, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 17:40, Florian Wobbe wrote:
>
>>> (Can I send a document to
>>> PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
>>> Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)
>>
>> Why not? PostScript printers should handle nofont-Myfile.ps (see above).
>
> My question is more like "how can I do that". I remember using
> something like "copy \path\to\printer" on windows long time ago, but
> I'm not sure how to do the same on Mac.

Answering myself ... I have now found "man lpr" saying

SEE ALSO
       http://localhost:631/help

So I used that file for help and ended up doing
    lpstat -p
to get printer name and then
    lp -d some_very_weird_printer_name_ myfile.pdf
and that works perfectly.

Still, I'm very very confused about why most files print out OK. It is
most probably a bug in Apple's software then (maybe not handling
OpenType fonts properly, but I never had any single problem with
TeX-generated files until today).

On the other hand I have updated the system to 10.6.7 a few hours ago,
but I simply cannot imagine that an update would completely break
printing.

@ 2011-03-25 17:43     ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2011-03-25 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Do you have multiple versions of the TeXGyre Pagella installed? Maybe one of them is corrupt.
>
> I don't have it installed. It is in my TeX tree. But if mine is
> corrupt, everyone's font is corrupt (or my disk is corrupt).

I have multiple versions from context alone:
fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre
fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre

I guess, if you add those from TexLive you have several possibilities of what could end up in your pdf depending on whether you use MKII or MKIV.

Next thing I would try is update CUPS. I installed Gutenprint (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php) after experiencing some other issues with the standard CUPS from Apple.

>>> (Can I send a document to
>>> PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
>>> Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)
>>
>> Why not? PostScript printers should handle nofont-Myfile.ps (see above).
>
> My question is more like "how can I do that". I remember using
> something like "copy \path\to\printer" on windows long time ago, but
> I'm not sure how to do the same on Mac.

For a PS printer:
cat nofont-Myfile.ps | netcat ip-address port
Or with perl sockets if you don't want to use lpr.

> Btw: printer specifications says "direct PDF (v 1.4) printing", so I
> guess that I should be able to send the PDF straight to printer ... if
> I only knew how to do that.

Then you should make sure you get PDF/X-3:2003 output from context. Default seems to be v1.6 for MKIV. I don't know for MKII.

Florian

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-03-25 17:46       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25-3-2011 6:43, Florian Wobbe wrote:
>>> Do you have multiple versions of the TeXGyre Pagella installed? Maybe one of them is corrupt.
>>
>> I don't have it installed. It is in my TeX tree. But if mine is
>> corrupt, everyone's font is corrupt (or my disk is corrupt).
>
> I have multiple versions from context alone:
> fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre
> fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre

mkiv will always take the opentype one first

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-25 18:02 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-25 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have attached a minimal example that fails to print from Skip.

I tried to update ConTeXt to see if that fixes the problem, but the
funny part is that if I try to compile

\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino]
\starttext
abc
\stoptext

with the latest version, it won't even compile. I only get:

mtx-context     | run 1: luatex /.../
(a.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.03.25 18:03 MKIV  fmt: 2011.3.25  int: english/english
/.../
fonts           > otf loading > loading:
/Users/mojca/context/context-test4/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyrepagella-regular.otf
(hash: texgyrepagella-regular)
fonts           > otf loading > font loaded okay
fonts           > otf loading > file size: 144472
fonts           > encoding > loading (extended) adobe glyph list
fatal error: this module is not for context
system          | total runtime: 0.599

Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: a1.pdf --]

@ 2011-03-25 18:17         ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2011-03-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you have Mac OS X 10.6.7?

Not yet. And for obvious reasons I'm not willing to update right now ;)

> The small attached example is enough to break the printer (both
> PostScript and PCL) when printing from Skim. May I ask you to try to
> print this file with 10.6.7?

No problem here.

BTW:

pdfinfo a.pdf
Title:          a
Creator:        ConTeXt - 2011.03.11 11:45
Producer:       LuaTeX-0.65.0
Page size:      595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)
File size:      5253 bytes
PDF version:    1.6

pdffonts a.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
ZWRPON+TeXGyrePagella-Regular        CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     18  0

That file was generated with MKIVtexgyrepagella-regular.otf using mkiv?

Now if I print that via CUPS-PDF.

pdfinfo cups-a.pdf

Producer:       Apple pstopdf
Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4)
File size:      2891 bytes
PDF version:    1.3

pdffonts cups-a.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
CFOFGB+TeXGyrePagella-Regular        Type 1C           yes yes no       4  0

du -b a.pdf cups-a.pdf
5253	a.pdf
2891	cups-a.pdf

So CUPS does some font conversion here. I would assume that will also happen when printing to a regular network printer. Maybe this step breaks on your system. And that is why sending the file to the printer directly causes no trouble.

Florian

PS: Is there a way to force luatex writing fonts in CFF instead CID format?

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-03-25 18:28   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-25 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25-3-2011 7:02, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I have attached a minimal example that fails to print from Skip.
>
> I tried to update ConTeXt to see if that fixes the problem, but the
> funny part is that if I try to compile
>
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino]
> \starttext
> abc
> \stoptext
>
> with the latest version, it won't even compile. I only get:
>

> mtx-context     | run 1: luatex /.../
> (a.tex
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2011.03.25 18:03 MKIV  fmt: 2011.3.25  int: english/english
> /.../
> fonts>  otf loading>  loading:
> /Users/mojca/context/context-test4/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyrepagella-regular.otf
> (hash: texgyrepagella-regular)
> fonts>  otf loading>  font loaded okay
> fonts>  otf loading>  file size: 144472
> fonts>  encoding>  loading (extended) adobe glyph list
> fatal error: this module is not for context
> system          | total runtime: 0.599

does it work when in font-enc.lua you change font-age into font-agl

         dofile(resolvers.findfile("font-agl.lua"))

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-03-25 21:38     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-25 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 19:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 25-3-2011 7:02, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> does it work when in font-enc.lua you change font-age into font-agl
>
>        dofile(resolvers.findfile("font-agl.lua"))

Yes, it does, thanks a lot. (But I have no printer at the moment to
test the result if it behaves any better.)

@ 2011-03-26 18:07       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-26 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 22:38, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 19:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 25-3-2011 7:02, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> does it work when in font-enc.lua you change font-age into font-agl
>>
>>        dofile(resolvers.findfile("font-agl.lua"))
>
> Yes, it does, thanks a lot. (But I have no printer at the moment to
> test the result if it behaves any better.)

The file generated with the latest ConTeXt prints out fine.

@ 2011-04-01 17:50   ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2011-04-01 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe related:
>
> Printing on a network printer (from a Mac through Skim) prints the first page correctly, at the top of the second page it prints:
> --------------------
> ERROR: invalidfont
> OFFENDING COMMAND: 	definefont
>
> STACK:
>
> /Font
> -dictionary~
> /YYMGGN+LinBiolinumO
> --------------------
>
> Printing from Acrobat Professional works correctly.

FYI: the issue is official now and related to printing OpenType PostScript fonts (i.e. Linux Biolinum). Mac users, you may want to consider not upgrading to 10.6.7 right now.

See also:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20048314-263.html
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2792142
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2791830

Best,
Florian

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-04-01 19:31     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-04-01 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 19:50, Florian Wobbe wrote:

> FYI: the issue is official now and related to printing OpenType PostScript fonts (i.e. Linux Biolinum). Mac users, you may want to consider not upgrading to 10.6.7 right now.
>
> See also:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20048314-263.html
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2792142
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2791830

I wish it was a first april joke. Thanks a lot for this notice. (I
forwarded the message to xetex and luatex mailing lists.)

@ 2011-04-21 21:10       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-04-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

To those Mac users who updated too early,

From what I read, Apple has confirmed the bug and is working on the
patch (still nobody knows when it will be released).

In the meantime the user KJK555 from a forum suggested to replace
ATS.framework and submited an unofficial patch:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2792142?start=300&tstart=0
    http://azlist.info/kj/downloads/

I didn't test extensively (you need to apply it at your own risk), but
some of my documents that were causing me problems now print fine***.

Mojca

PS: ***Before I discovered the patch I had to reinstall all of my
printers an hour ago, (and one of them is still causing me problems
and just prints out "error courred = -50", but that might be driver's
fault). While I was trying to print a slightly bigger image Mac has
consumed approximately 6 GB of disk space while I was away and of
course it didn't print anything (it didn't finish). But it did more
fun than that. It *removed* all the printers from my settings and God
knows what other harm did it do to OS and file system in addition to
it. It may not be very healthy to run out of disk space, but removing
all the printers from the list is not the nicest and most efficient
resolution that OS is supposed to do either.

* Re: problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-05-01 11:55         ` Leo Razoumov
From: Leo Razoumov @ 2011-05-01 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 17:10, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> To those Mac users who updated too early,
>
> From what I read, Apple has confirmed the bug and is working on the
> patch (still nobody knows when it will be released).

Couple of days ago Apple issued an official update to Mac OSX 10.6.7
that supposedly fixed the Postscript fonts problem.

--Leo--