* How to set oldstyle numbering globally?
@ 2011-04-11  9:00 Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2011-04-11  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

In my earlier MkIV minimal ConTeXt installation (dec.2010) I used the
following in my preamble to activate oldstyle numbering:

\usetypescript[schola]
\setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]

\definefontfeature [oldstyle] [default] [onum=yes]
\addff{oldstyle}

but this doesn't seem to work anymore in my recently installed minimal
ConTeXt installation (ConTeXt  ver: 2011.03.30 11:21 MkIV  fmt:
2011.3.30  int: english/english).

I use this installation with Debian 6.0 (Squeeze).

Any idea what's wrong?

Regards,
Gerard Verhaag

* Re: How to set oldstyle numbering globally?
@ 2011-04-11  9:09 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-11  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.04.2011 um 11:00 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:

> Hi,
>
> In my earlier MkIV minimal ConTeXt installation (dec.2010) I used the following in my preamble to activate oldstyle numbering:
>
> \usetypescript[schola]
> \setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]
>
> \definefontfeature [oldstyle] [default] [onum=yes]
> \addff{oldstyle}
>
> but this doesn't seem to work anymore in my recently installed minimal ConTeXt installation (ConTeXt  ver: 2011.03.30 11:21 MkIV  fmt: 2011.3.30  int: english/english).
>
> I use this installation with Debian 6.0 (Squeeze).
>
> Any idea what's wrong?

The following two methods do work for me.

1. Global change

\definefontfeature[default][default][onum=yes]

\setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]

\starttext
1234567890
\stoptext

2. Local change

\setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]

\definefontfeature[oldstyle][onum=yes]

\starttext
1234567890 {\addff{oldstyle}1234567890}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: How to set oldstyle numbering globally?
@ 2011-04-11  9:12 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-04-11  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:00:08AM +0200, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my earlier MkIV minimal ConTeXt installation (dec.2010) I used
> the following in my preamble to activate oldstyle numbering:
>
> \usetypescript[schola]
> \setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]
>
> \definefontfeature [oldstyle] [default] [onum=yes]
> \addff{oldstyle}

A more correct way is:

\definefontfeature[default][default][onum=yes] % redefines default feature set

\usetypescript[schola]
\setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]

\starttext
12345678
\stoptext

(\addff is meant for temporally applying font features not the other way
around, but I think it should work this way too, so may be something
is broken)

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: How to set oldstyle numbering globally?
@ 2011-04-12  9:37   ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2011-04-12  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 04/11/2011 11:09 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 11.04.2011 um 11:00 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> In my earlier MkIV minimal ConTeXt installation (dec.2010) I used the following in my preamble to activate oldstyle numbering:
>>
>> \usetypescript[schola]
>> \setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]
>>
>> \definefontfeature [oldstyle] [default] [onum=yes]
>> \addff{oldstyle}
>>
>> but this doesn't seem to work anymore in my recently installed minimal ConTeXt installation (ConTeXt  ver: 2011.03.30 11:21 MkIV  fmt: 2011.3.30  int: english/english).
>>
>> I use this installation with Debian 6.0 (Squeeze).
>>
>> Any idea what's wrong?
>>
> The following two methods do work for me.
>

> 1. Global change
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][onum=yes]
>
> \setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]
>
> \starttext
> 1234567890
> \stoptext
>

> 2. Local change
>
> \setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]
>
> \definefontfeature[oldstyle][onum=yes]
>
> \starttext
> 1234567890 {\addff{oldstyle}1234567890}
> \stoptext
>

> Wolfgang

The suggested ways both work for me as well! So, I'm afraid that I don't
understand the definefontfeature command very well.

Perhaps I should read the chapter on fonts more thorougly! Thanks to all
contributers to this thread.

@ 2011-04-12 22:07   ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-04-12 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon 11 Apr 2011, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> > In my earlier MkIV minimal ConTeXt installation (dec.2010) I used
> > the following in my preamble to activate oldstyle numbering:
> >
> > \usetypescript[schola]
> > \setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]
> >
> > \definefontfeature [oldstyle] [default] [onum=yes]
> > \addff{oldstyle}
>
> A more correct way is:
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][onum=yes] % redefines default feature set
>
> \usetypescript[schola]
> \setupbodyfont[schola,8pt]
> (\addff is meant for temporally applying font features not the other way
> around, but I think it should work this way too, so may be something
> is broken)

\addff{oldstyle} works with my 2011.02.25 ConTeXt, so evidently it's
quite a recent change.

Pont

* Re: How to set oldstyle numbering globally?
@ 2011-04-13  6:27     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-04-13  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 apr. 2011, at 00:07, Pontus Lurcock <pont@talvi.net> wrote:

> On Mon 11 Apr 2011, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>> (\addff is meant for temporally applying font features not the other way
>> around, but I think it should work this way too, so may be something
>> is broken)
>
> \addff{oldstyle} works with my 2011.02.25 ConTeXt, so evidently it's
> quite a recent change.

\addff is for adding some feature to an already selected font. It fails in the latest beta's because fonts are no longer preloaded immediately, but only after \starttext (which is a good thing)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: How to set oldstyle numbering globally?
@ 2011-04-13  7:57       ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2011-04-13  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 04/13/2011 08:27 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> On 13 apr. 2011, at 00:07, Pontus Lurcock <pont@talvi.net
> <mailto:pont@talvi.net>> wrote:
>
>> On Mon 11 Apr 2011, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>>> (\addff is meant for temporally applying font features not the other way
>>> around, but I think it should work this way too, so may be something
>>> is broken)
>>
>> \addff{oldstyle} works with my 2011.02.25 ConTeXt, so evidently it's
>> quite a recent change.
>>
> \addff is for adding some feature to an already selected font. It
> fails in the latest beta's because fonts are no longer preloaded
> immediately, but only after \starttext (which is a good thing)
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Taco, thanks for the explanation!

So, this makes the item called: "How can I get the “oldstyle numbers”
(text figures) in a document?" on wiki.contextgarden.net no longer
valid, right!

Changes are difficult to figure out, when you're not very good at the
details. Keeping the wiki up-to-date is a huge task and certainly not a
trivial thing!

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't want to criticise the way the
wiki is maintained. On the contrary, it's a great tool, and we users
very much depend on it.

However for getting the oldstyle numerals working again, I needed this
mailing list!

If I'm wrong please feel free to comment on all this. Thanks again!

@ 2011-04-13  8:14         ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-04-13  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed 13 Apr 2011, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:

> So, this makes the item called: "How can I get the “oldstyle numbers”
> (text figures) in a document?" on wiki.contextgarden.net no longer
> valid, right!

As of now, valid again. (I was going to add something to the ‘Fonts in
LuaTeX’ page as well, but that page needs tidying up that I don't have
time to do at the moment.)

> Changes are difficult to figure out, when you're not very good at the
> details. Keeping the wiki up-to-date is a huge task and certainly not a
> trivial thing!
>
> Please don't misunderstand me. I don't want to criticise the way the
> wiki is maintained. On the contrary, it's a great tool, and we users
> very much depend on it.

I think the general principle is that if you get a useful answer to
your question, you should make sure that it is added (or linked) in
the wiki in the place you looked for it before asking the question. It
*is* a huge task (since ConTeXt is under continuous development),
which is why we all need to help.

Pont

* Re: How to set oldstyle numbering globally?
@ 2011-04-13  9:27           ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2011-04-13  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 04/13/2011 10:14 AM, Pontus Lurcock wrote:
> On Wed 13 Apr 2011, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
>

>> So, this makes the item called: "How can I get the “oldstyle numbers”
>> (text figures) in a document?" on wiki.contextgarden.net no longer
>> valid, right!
>>
> As of now, valid again. (I was going to add something to the ‘Fonts in
> LuaTeX’ page as well, but that page needs tidying up that I don't have
> time to do at the moment.)
>

>> Changes are difficult to figure out, when you're not very good at the
>> details. Keeping the wiki up-to-date is a huge task and certainly not a
>> trivial thing!
>>
>> Please don't misunderstand me. I don't want to criticise the way the
>> wiki is maintained. On the contrary, it's a great tool, and we users
>> very much depend on it.
>>
> I think the general principle is that if you get a useful answer to
> your question, you should make sure that it is added (or linked) in
> the wiki in the place you looked for it before asking the question. It
> *is* a huge task (since ConTeXt is under continuous development),
> which is why we all need to help.
>
> Pont

Hi,

Okay, thanks again for the tip!