* Grid typesetting and inline math
@ 2011-04-19  9:59 Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm struggling with the grid. I've stepped from LaTeX to luaLaTeX for a
simpler font selection, and from luaLaTeX to ConTeXt for getting a
usable grid (because I was told that it supports typesetting on a grid).
Now that I got font selection working as desired in ConTeXt, the grid is
driving me crazy.

I'm trying to use the grid as described in details.pdf, and I want
halfline spacing around formulas in text, because a full line is
definitely too much. This is what I'm compiling:

\setupbodyfont[10pt,serif] % should be lm?
\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\setuptextformulas[step=halfline]
\starttext
\showgrid
Testing inline math: \gform{x_2 = \frac{a}{b}}. The following line
should be seperated from this one by half a line, but it isn't.

Testing inline math: \gform[-]{x_2 = \frac{a}{b}}. The following line
should be seperated from this one by half a line, but it isn't.
\stoptext

Both paragraphs look identical, the second line is too far away from the
first one. What's wrong with my code?

Also, how can I manually depart from the grid, e.g. for block quotes?

Regards,

Christoph

* Re: Grid typesetting and inline math
@ 2011-04-20  9:56 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-04-20  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:59:34AM +0200, Christoph Redecker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm struggling with the grid. I've stepped from LaTeX to luaLaTeX
> for a simpler font selection, and from luaLaTeX to ConTeXt for
> getting a usable grid (because I was told that it supports
> typesetting on a grid). Now that I got font selection working as
> desired in ConTeXt, the grid is driving me crazy.
>
> I'm trying to use the grid as described in details.pdf, and I want
> halfline spacing around formulas in text, because a full line is
> definitely too much. This is what I'm compiling:
>
> \setupbodyfont[10pt,serif] % should be lm?
> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
> \setuptextformulas[step=halfline]
> \starttext
> \showgrid
> Testing inline math: \gform{x_2 = \frac{a}{b}}. The following line
> should be seperated from this one by half a line, but it isn't.
>
> Testing inline math: \gform[-]{x_2 = \frac{a}{b}}. The following
> line should be seperated from this one by half a line, but it isn't.
> \stoptext
>
> Both paragraphs look identical, the second line is too far away from
> the first one. What's wrong with my code?

Not sure, but try grid=on.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: Grid typesetting and inline math
@ 2011-04-20 10:31   ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-20 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the suggestion!

With grid=on, I get a different result, but it's not better. Code:

Testing inline math: \gform{x_2 = \sqrt{\frac{a}{b_2}}}. The following
line should be seperated from this one with half a line, but it isn't.
In this case, there is no space and the root sign reaches deeply into
the following line.

Regards,

Christoph

@ 2011-04-21  8:24     ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-21  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any other suggestions? I did read the manual chapter about
grids and details.pdf and don't know what I'm doing wrong. In fact, I
don't even understand the examples in the manual chapter. When reading
the example code, I can't figure out how it leads to the shown behavior,
and why the shown effect is desired.

The \startlinecorrection ... \stoplinecorrection description in the wiki
is also no help. What does it do and how does it differ from a globally
enabled grid?

Regards,

Christoph

@ 2011-04-26 11:29 ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-26 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

After some trial and error, I'm using

\setuplayout[grid=yes]

\startlinecorrection
   Paragraph with inline math
   \gform{math stuff} % without the optional [-]
   and some more text that belongs to this parapgraph
\stoplinecorrection

and

\blank[-1*line]

where necessary. It is not really a convenient solution, but it works
and I've got the impression that I can do what I want.

Again: Does anyone have a better solution or advice regarding grid usage?

Regards,

Christoph