* Updating contex minimal for Ubuntu 10.10
@ 2011-04-26 15:54 Matthieu Stigler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthieu Stigler @ 2011-04-26 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I just tried to get the most recent version of context minima, following
instructions at:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Ubuntu_installation#Maverick_.2810.10.29_with_ConTeXt_Minimals

I get however following message once every thing has run:

  context --version

mtxrun          | forcing cache reload

resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/local/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'

resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/local/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'

resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/local/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'

resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/local/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'

resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/local/texmfcnf.lua'

resolvers       | resolving |

resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found

resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)

resolvers       | resolving |

mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated

resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'

resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'

resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'

resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'

mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Any idea what I did wrong? Did I miss a particular step? (I did also
luatools --generate and context --make)

Thanks!!

Matthieu

* Re: Updating contex minimal for Ubuntu 10.10
@ 2011-04-26 16:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-04-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-4-2011 5:54, Matthieu Stigler wrote:

> Any idea what I did wrong? Did I miss a particular step? (I did also
> luatools --generate and context --make)

I think that method installs minimals in an existing (older
distribution). At some point we switched to a lua configuration file and
maybe that's not taken care of.

So, best try to see what the 'native' minimals do. Just install them in
a different location.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals

At least you then have the reference source/binary/setup to start with.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-04-26 19:23 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-04-26 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Matthieu Stigler wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just tried to get the most recent version of context minima, following
> instructions at:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Ubuntu_installation#Maverick_.2810.10.29_with_ConTeXt_Minimals
>
> I get however following message once every thing has run:
>
> context --version
>
> mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
>
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmfcnf.lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving |
>
> resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
>
> resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
>
> resolvers       | resolving |
>
> mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
>
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
>
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>

> Any idea what I did wrong? Did I miss a particular step? (I did also luatools
> --generate and context --make)

Most likely because you do not have write permissions in $TEXMFCACHE. Try
adding

export TEXMFCACHE=$HOME/texmf-cache

and then rerunning

mtxrun --generate

Aditya

* Re: Updating contex minimal for Ubuntu 10.10
@ 2011-04-26 20:48 ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-04-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:54, Matthieu Stigler
<matthieu.stigler@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried to get the most recent version of context minima, following
> instructions at:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Ubuntu_installation#Maverick_.2810.10.29_with_ConTeXt_Minimals
>
> I get however following message once every thing has run:

I get the same unknown configuration file error messages during the
first-setup.sh process:

[...]
mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
resolvers       | resolving |
mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
mtx-update      | state, loaded
mtx-update      |
mtx-update      | update, start
[...]

However, ConTeXt works fine afterwards. (I'm the person who added
those Ubuntu 10.10 instructions to the wiki.)

Did you remember to either start a clean shell or source ~/.bashrc
after changing  .bashrc?

Do
  echo $TEXROOT
  echo $PATH
  echo $OSFONTDIR
to check what the environment variables are set to when you're trying
to run ConTeXt.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>

* Re: Updating contex minimal for Ubuntu 10.10
@ 2011-04-27  7:54   ` Matthieu Stigler
From: Matthieu Stigler @ 2011-04-27  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 26/04/2011 21:23, Aditya Mahajan a écrit :
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I just tried to get the most recent version of context minima,
>> following instructions at:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Ubuntu_installation#Maverick_.2810.10.29_with_ConTeXt_Minimals
>>

>> I get however following message once every thing has run:
>>
>> context --version
>>
>> mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
>> '/usr/local/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
>> '/usr/local/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
>> '/usr/local/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
>> '/usr/local/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
>> '/usr/local/texmfcnf.lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving |
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving |
>>
>> mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
>>
>> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>>

>> Any idea what I did wrong? Did I miss a particular step? (I did also
>> luatools --generate and context --make)
>
> Most likely because you do not have write permissions in $TEXMFCACHE.
> Try adding
>
> export TEXMFCACHE=$HOME/texmf-cache
>
> and then rerunning
>
> mtxrun --generate

hi

Well the texmf-cache does not exist in my home... should I have built
it? Is it needed?

Thanks

Mat

@ 2011-04-27  7:58   ` Matthieu Stigler
From: Matthieu Stigler @ 2011-04-27  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 26/04/2011 22:48, mathew a écrit :
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:54, Matthieu Stigler
> <matthieu.stigler@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I just tried to get the most recent version of context minima, following
>> instructions at:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Ubuntu_installation#Maverick_.2810.10.29_with_ConTeXt_Minimals
>>
>> I get however following message once every thing has run:
> I get the same unknown configuration file error messages during the
> first-setup.sh process:
>
> [...]
> mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
> '/usr/local/texmfcnf.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving |
> resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
> resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
> resolvers       | resolving |
> mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
> mtx-update      | state, loaded
> mtx-update      |
> mtx-update      | update, start
> [...]
>
> However, ConTeXt works fine afterwards. (I'm the person who added
> those Ubuntu 10.10 instructions to the wiki.)
>
> Did you remember to either start a clean shell or source ~/.bashrc
> after changing  .bashrc?
>
> Do
>    echo $TEXROOT
>    echo $PATH
>    echo $OSFONTDIR
> to check what the environment variables are set to when you're trying
> to run ConTeXt.

yes, I had done.... so echoing these variables work... The message I get
is however a little bit different:
[snip]...
resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
resolvers       | resolving |
mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Is this linked to the problem of no texmf paths? I tried also this

mtxrun --generate

and got:

resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to
'/usr/local/context/bin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to
'/usr/local/context'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/usr/local'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to 'context'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/usr/local/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
resolvers       | resolving |

So is the problem around texmf and texmfcnf ?

Thanks!!!

@ 2011-04-27 13:33     ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-04-27 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 02:54, Matthieu Stigler
<matthieu.stigler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well the texmf-cache does not exist in my home... should I have built it? Is
> it needed?

If you're following the wiki instructions, you should end up with
luatex-cache in your home directory, and texmf-cache in
/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-cache.

Check your environment variables:

 echo $TEXROOT
 echo $PATH
 echo $OSFONTDIR

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>

* Re: Updating contex minimal for Ubuntu 10.10
@ 2011-04-27 14:10       ` Matthieu Stigler
From: Matthieu Stigler @ 2011-04-27 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 27/04/2011 15:33, mathew a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 02:54, Matthieu Stigler
> <matthieu.stigler@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Well the texmf-cache does not exist in my home... should I have built it? Is
>> it needed?
> If you're following the wiki instructions, you should end up with
> luatex-cache in your home directory, and texmf-cache in
> /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-cache.

luatex-cache: I have it

texmf-cache: ls /usr/local/context/tex/
setuptex      setuptex.csh  texmf-cache
is there!
> Check your environment variables:
>
>   echo $TEXROOT
>   echo $PATH
>   echo $OSFONTDIR
> echo $TEXROOT

echo $TEXROOT

/usr/local/context/tex

faonix@faonix-i7:~$  echo $PATH

/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin:/usr/local/context/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

faonix@faonix-i7:~$  echo $OSFONTDIR

/home/faonix/.fonts:/usr/share/fonts

it seems correct, no?

Thanks!!