* Problem with arrows in latest mkiv (again)
@ 2011-05-03 14:49 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-05-03 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I am sending again a message sent some two weeks ago, but probably it was lost…

It seems that the latest beta (version 2011.05.01 12:50) has a problem with arrow in math mode, using Latin modern, while with Palatino the arrows are correct.
Here is a minimal example and its PDF result (please look at the \longrightarrow in the PDF):

\starttext
Let $E,F$ be two Banach spaces and consider a linear operator
$L : E \longrightarrow F$.
\stoptext

Best regards: OK

[-- Attachment #2: arrow-1.pdf --]

* Re: Problem with arrows in latest mkiv (again)
@ 2011-05-04  3:57 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-05-04  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 3 May 2011, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> I am sending again a message sent some two weeks ago, but probably it was lost…
>
> It seems that the latest beta (version 2011.05.01 12:50) has a problem
> with arrow in math mode, using Latin modern, while with Palatino the
> arrows are correct.

It appears that a text mode minus is being used rather than the math mode
minus. I haven't checked why that is happening.

Aditya

* Re: Problem with arrows in latest mkiv (again)
@ 2011-05-04  5:27   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-05-04  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 mai 2011, at 05:57, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> […]
> It appears that a text mode minus is being used rather than the math mode minus. I haven't checked why that is happening.

Thanks Aditya for your attention: yes you are right indeed, this is what happens with LM, but not with Palatino.

Best regards: OK

* Re: Problem with arrows in latest mkiv (again)
@ 2011-05-05  8:17 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-5-2011 4:49, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> I am sending again a message sent some two weeks ago, but probably it was lost…
>
> It seems that the latest beta (version 2011.05.01 12:50) has a problem with arrow in math mode, using Latin modern, while with Palatino the arrows are correct.
> Here is a minimal example and its PDF result (please look at the \longrightarrow in the PDF):
>
> \starttext
> Let $E,F$ be two Banach spaces and consider a linear operator
> $L : E \longrightarrow F$.
> \stoptext

this looks ok at my end

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-05-05 10:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4-5-2011 5:57, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2011, Otared Kavian wrote:
>
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> I am sending again a message sent some two weeks ago, but probably it
>> was lost…
>>
>> It seems that the latest beta (version 2011.05.01 12:50) has a problem
>> with arrow in math mode, using Latin modern, while with Palatino the
>> arrows are correct.
>
> It appears that a text mode minus is being used rather than the math
> mode minus. I haven't checked why that is happening.

Taco and I figured out that it worked on our machines because we do have
stmary and the minimals don't which results in an empty slot in the
virtual font which in turn results in dropped glyphs.

I'll upload a patch but best is if Mojca adds stmary10.afm and
stmary10.pfb to the minimals.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-05-05 13:54     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-05-05 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Many thanks to you and Taco for your attention: following what you said the problem is solved.

For others and the archives, I say here what I did: as you suggest, I did add the files stmary10.afm and stmary10.pfb to my texmf-local under
	fonts/afm/hoekwater/stmary
and then
	context --make --all
Now the long arrows are correctly typeset.

Best regards: OK

On 5 mai 2011, at 12:16, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 4-5-2011 5:57, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 May 2011, Otared Kavian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> I am sending again a message sent some two weeks ago, but probably it
>>> was lost…
>>>
>>> It seems that the latest beta (version 2011.05.01 12:50) has a problem
>>> with arrow in math mode, using Latin modern, while with Palatino the
>>> arrows are correct.
>>
>> It appears that a text mode minus is being used rather than the math
>> mode minus. I haven't checked why that is happening.
>
> Taco and I figured out that it worked on our machines because we do have stmary and the minimals don't which results in an empty slot in the virtual font which in turn results in dropped glyphs.
>
> I'll upload a patch but best is if Mojca adds stmary10.afm and stmary10.pfb to the minimals.
>
> Hans

>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 avenue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: Problem with arrows in latest mkiv (again)
@ 2011-05-05 14:32     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-05-05 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:16, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Taco and I figured out that it worked on our machines because we do have
> stmary and the minimals don't which results in an empty slot in the virtual
> font which in turn results in dropped glyphs.
>
> I'll upload a patch but best is if Mojca adds stmary10.afm and stmary10.pfb
> to the minimals.

I was trying to figure out why the fonts were removed and I found out
that they have been moved to another location (from
afm/hoekwater/stmaryrd to afm/public/stmaryrd) on TeX Live, so rsync
that was fetching them accidentally deleted the files.

It should be fixed now.

Mojca

* Re: Problem with arrows in latest mkiv (again)
@ 2011-05-05 14:47       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-05 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-5-2011 4:32, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:16, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> Taco and I figured out that it worked on our machines because we do have
>> stmary and the minimals don't which results in an empty slot in the virtual
>> font which in turn results in dropped glyphs.
>>
>> I'll upload a patch but best is if Mojca adds stmary10.afm and stmary10.pfb
>> to the minimals.
>
> I was trying to figure out why the fonts were removed and I found out
> that they have been moved to another location (from
> afm/hoekwater/stmaryrd to afm/public/stmaryrd) on TeX Live, so rsync
> that was fetching them accidentally deleted the files.

Not the first time that we're bitten by such a change of location.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-05-05 15:14         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-05-05 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 16:47, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Not the first time that we're bitten by such a change of location.

But it is *my* problem that I don't have any code to track such
deletions/removals, it is not TeX Live's task to keep track of anyone
who wants to use it.

(It is just an equivalent problem when you for example rename/split
context.tex into context.mkiv and my code for guessing ConTeXt version
stops working.)

Mojca