* \startmatrix bug in beta
@ 2011-05-17  9:35 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-05-17  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans/ Aditya,

With the latest beta, \startmatrix's final \NR creates a
superfluous line, resulting in ugly output:

\starttext
\startformula
\startmatrix[left={\left(\,},right={\,\right)}]
\NC 0 \NR
\NC 0 \NR
\NC 0 \NR % removing this fixes the output
\stopmatrix
\stopformula
\stoptext

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: \startmatrix bug in beta
@ 2011-05-18  0:08 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-05-18  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi Hans/ Aditya,
>
> With the latest beta, \startmatrix's final \NR creates a
> superfluous line, resulting in ugly output:

This has been present for a while now, so not introduced by any recent
change. I'll try to figure out what is going wrong (I suspect a \cr
instead of a \crcr).

Aditya

* Re: \startmatrix bug in beta
@ 2011-05-18  4:58 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-05-18  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi Hans/ Aditya,
>
> With the latest beta, \startmatrix's final \NR creates a
> superfluous line, resulting in ugly output:

Bugfix:

In \dodefinemathmatrix, change

    \setuvalue{\e!stop #1}{\dostopmathmatrix}%

    \setvalue{\e!stop #1}{\dostopmathmatrix}%

If someone wants to correct this in a working document, add

\let\stopmatrix\dostopmathmatrix

somewhere before \starttext

> \starttext
> \startformula
> \startmatrix[left={\left(\,},right={\,\right)}]
> \NC 0 \NR
> \NC 0 \NR
> \NC 0 \NR % removing this fixes the output
> \stopmatrix
> \stopformula
> \stoptext

I don't know why \setuvalue gives an extra space. Hopefully, you or Hans
will be able to figure that out.

Aditya

* Re: \startmatrix bug in beta
@ 2011-05-18  7:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-18  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-5-2011 6:58, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Hi Hans/ Aditya,
>>
>> With the latest beta, \startmatrix's final \NR creates a
>> superfluous line, resulting in ugly output:
>
> Bugfix:
>
> In \dodefinemathmatrix, change
>
> \setuvalue{\e!stop #1}{\dostopmathmatrix}%

> \setvalue{\e!stop #1}{\dostopmathmatrix}%
>
> If someone wants to correct this in a working document, add
>
> \let\stopmatrix\dostopmathmatrix
>
> somewhere before \starttext
>
>> \starttext
>> \startformula
>> \startmatrix[left={\left(\,},right={\,\right)}]
>> \NC 0 \NR
>> \NC 0 \NR
>> \NC 0 \NR % removing this fixes the output
>> \stopmatrix
>> \stopformula
>> \stoptext
>
> I don't know why \setuvalue gives an extra space. Hopefully, you or Hans
> will be able to figure that out.

no clue yet but

\unexpanded\def\dostopmathmatrix

gives an extra row

some day Taco and I will arrive at dealing with this lookahead in the
perspective of protected (\unexpanded in context) macros issue in luatex
(makes a nice topic for discussion on one of our travels to a conference)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \startmatrix bug in beta
@ 2011-05-18 14:18     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-05-18 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 May 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 18-5-2011 6:58, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2011, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hans/ Aditya,
>>>
>>> With the latest beta, \startmatrix's final \NR creates a
>>> superfluous line, resulting in ugly output:
>>
>> Bugfix:
>>
>> In \dodefinemathmatrix, change
>>
>> \setuvalue{\e!stop #1}{\dostopmathmatrix}%

>> \setvalue{\e!stop #1}{\dostopmathmatrix}%
>>
>> If someone wants to correct this in a working document, add
>>
>> \let\stopmatrix\dostopmathmatrix
>>
>> somewhere before \starttext
>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \startformula
>>> \startmatrix[left={\left(\,},right={\,\right)}]
>>> \NC 0 \NR
>>> \NC 0 \NR
>>> \NC 0 \NR % removing this fixes the output
>>> \stopmatrix
>>> \stopformula
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> I don't know why \setuvalue gives an extra space. Hopefully, you or Hans
>> will be able to figure that out.
>
> no clue yet but
>
> \unexpanded\def\dostopmathmatrix
>
> gives an extra row

Simpler example:

\def\A{\halign \bgroup ## \crcr}
\unexpanded\def\B{\crcr\egroup}
\def\C{\crcr\egroup}

\starttext
\ruledvbox{\A A \cr B \cr \B}

\ruledvbox{\A A \cr B \cr \C}
\stoptext

Same results with MkII and MkIV, so this is not a luatex issue.

Aditya

* Re: \startmatrix bug in beta
@ 2011-05-18 14:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-18 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-5-2011 4:18, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Simpler example:
>
> \def\A{\halign \bgroup ## \crcr}
> \unexpanded\def\B{\crcr\egroup}
> \def\C{\crcr\egroup}
>
> \starttext
> \ruledvbox{\A A \cr B \cr \B}
>
> \ruledvbox{\A A \cr B \cr \C}

\ruledvbox{\A A \cr B \cr \relax \C}

> \stoptext

I wonder what the rationale is behind this ... when we redo the matrix
code we can prune such empty rows in lua. I always thought that \crcr
was more clever.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE