* Using text as a clip path for Metafun & free shape paragraphs
@ 2011-05-22 15:09 Otso Helenius
From: Otso Helenius @ 2011-05-22 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks to Wolfgang for the instructions on changing fonts, \switchtobodyfont works as expected. I still
have to dig up the exact definitions of both \switchtobodyfont and \switchtotypeface, as the latter command
seems to work in Hans' examples (for example showfont.pdf) but not with my installation.

Now, I've been trying to use metapost for achieving magazine type layout with ConTeXt, and have a question
about the following features:

1) Is it possible to use TeX typeset text as a clipping path for MP graphics? What I would like to achieve is
a similar cut mask as seen in this picture: https://modernpost.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/rockstar11091.jpg
i.e. the text outline cuts a hole in the brown filled rectangle revealing the bitmap below.

I can cut pictures easily with paths in MP like so:

\startMPcode
fill unitsquare xysized (100mm,100mm) withcolor green;
picture cur; cur := currentpicture; currentpicture := nullpicture;
fill unitsquare xysized (100mm,100mm) withcolor blue;
path mask; mask := unitsquare xysized (100mm,100mm) -- reverse unitsquare xysized (100mm,10mm) shifted (0mm,45mm) -- cycle;
clip cur to mask;
draw cur;
\stopMPcode

But I can't cut pictures with pictures (only with masks), nor have I found a way in any of the manuals
(mmakempy.pdf, metafun-p.pdf, metapostmanual.pdf) to output text outline as paths which could be used for
cutting a hole in the mask picture. Is this possible?

2) MP gives an easy way to format free flowing paragraph shapes similar to this image: http://www.davidlcade.com/images/gropius/g2.png .
I have followed the instructions on pages 435-444. The problem with this approach is that the text which will be
placed in a freely shaped paragraph will be a separate block which won't flow freely with other text in the document
body if the contents on earlier pages change.

I guess this drops in the category of big feature requests, but it would be nice to be able to define the
shapes and positions of ConTeXt columns/paragraphs with MP graphics. In InDesign columns of any shape anywhere
on the page can be connected without having to separate one block of text from the rest.

With this feature one could define for example a 2-page spread for a magazine (with free shape graphics and columns)
in between two ordinarily defined pages and would not have to manually disrupt the body text flow through the
document.

Best regards,
Otso Helenius

* Re: Using text as a clip path for Metafun & free shape paragraphs
@ 2011-05-22 17:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-5-2011 5:09, Otso Helenius wrote:

> With this feature one could define for example a 2-page spread for a magazine (with free shape graphics and columns)
> in between two ordinarily defined pages and would not have to manually disrupt the body text flow through the
> document.

It can probably be done with transparency (soft/hard masking) but I
never looked into that (never needed it and I have no pdf examples
anyway).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE