* Editors
@ 2011-06-20 21:19 H. Hodges
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: H. Hodges @ 2011-06-20 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm new to ConTeXt, coming from LaTeX. Are there any linux text editors that are
at all useful for creating context documents? In the archives of this list, I
read one or two discussions about making Kile more compatible, but the issue
seems to have been dropped.

* Re: Editors
@ 2011-06-20 21:48 ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-06-20 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon 20 Jun 2011, H. Hodges wrote:

> I'm new to ConTeXt, coming from LaTeX. Are there any linux text
> editors that are at all useful for creating context documents?

There is a summary table in the wiki at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors . Apart from the ones
listed there is also http://code.google.com/p/textadept/ , which I
believe has ConTeXt support.

For what it's worth, I use GNU emacs / AUCTeX, which works well for
me, though I don't really use many of the AUCTeX features.

Hope this helps,

Pont

* Re: Editors
@ 2011-06-21  6:42 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-21  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 23:19, H. Hodges <freelancer.hodges@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to ConTeXt, coming from LaTeX. Are there any linux text editors that are
> at all useful for creating context documents? In the archives of this list, I
> read one or two discussions about making Kile more compatible, but the issue
> seems to have been dropped.

You can use any editor, even with LaTeX syntax highlighting. I often
use VIM (but you need to be comfortable working with it) which needs
some settings (:set filetype=context), else you get LaTeX
highlighting.

Just take a look at the table on Wiki that Pontus pointed you to.

Mojca

* Re: Editors
@ 2011-06-21  7:35 ` Marc Trius
From: Marc Trius @ 2011-06-21  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:19:20 +0000 (UTC)
"H. Hodges" <freelancer.hodges@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to ConTeXt, coming from LaTeX. Are there any linux text editors that are
> at all useful for creating context documents? In the archives of this list, I
> read one or two discussions about making Kile more compatible, but the issue
> seems to have been dropped.

For what it's worth, I've tried Vim, Emacs, and SciTE, and eventually settled on TeXworks for maximum usefulness and friendliness. This might be different for you if you're already used to Vim or Emacs, which I wasn't. TeXworks is configured to use MkII, but there are instructions on the wiki to configure it for MkIV.

Marc

Marc Trius <derpayatz@riseup.net>

"The enemy is the gramophone mind, whether or not one agrees with the record that is being played at the moment." --- George Orwell

* Re: Editors
@ 2011-06-21  9:19   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-21  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:35, Marc Trius wrote:

> This might be different for you if you're already used to Vim or Emacs, which I wasn't.

As I said, if you are not used to work with those, it is a steep learning curve.

> TeXworks is configured to use MkII, but there are instructions on the wiki to configure it for MkIV.

The latest TeXworks should have this fixed, but I have no idea how to
build texworks on linux (for Windows and Mac one can download a
binary).

Mojca

* Re: Editors
@ 2011-06-21  9:34     ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-06-21  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue 21 Jun 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> > TeXworks is configured to use MkII, but there are instructions on
> > the wiki to configure it for MkIV.
>
> The latest TeXworks should have this fixed, but I have no idea how to
> build texworks on linux (for Windows and Mac one can download a
> binary).

For Ubuntu, stable binaries are at
https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/stable and development builds
at https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/ppa .
http://www.tug.org/texworks/ has a link to openSUSE binaries too.
Haven't tried any of them myself, though.

Pont

* Re: Editors
@ 2011-06-21 11:12     ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-06-21 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21.06.2011 11:19, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:35, Marc Trius wrote:
>>
>> This might be different for you if you're already used to Vim or Emacs, which I wasn't.
>
> As I said, if you are not used to work with those, it is a steep learning curve.
>
>> TeXworks is configured to use MkII, but there are instructions on the wiki to configure it for MkIV.
>
> The latest TeXworks should have this fixed, but I have no idea how to
> build texworks on linux (for Windows and Mac one can download a
> binary).
>
> Mojca

Hi, I'm not a very experienced Linux-user, but I still managed to
compile the TeXworks-current-snapshot on my (Arch-)Linux system without
any problems. It was just the same as with any other application I
wanted to build from source. You need some development packages for your
Linux-distro (have a look at http://code.google.com/p/texworks/ ) and
then just something like "qmake" and "make".

HTH, Stefan

* Editors
@ 2001-07-11 12:14 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2001-07-11 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis A. Apiolaza schrieb:
> context-aware editors that people are using under M$ Windows?

AFAIK: none besides Emacs
Simply use an editor with TeX mode (LaTeX users often like WinEdt).
Texworks is Hans' private tool (AFAIR on DOS).
If you work with Tcl/Tk you could adapt the LaTeX mode of Alpha/Tk.
(I would be glad if someone would do it!)

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---