* How to override the print resolution
@ 2011-07-02 10:49 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-02 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

When using \externalfigure it uses the print resolution for putting the
graphic into the document. Until now all my graphics had a resolution of
300x300, but I just got one with a much lower one, which blew up in my
document. I just set the print resolution to 300x300 and everything is fine
again, but is there a way to override the printer resolution?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: How to override the print resolution
@ 2011-07-02 11:08 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-07-02 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-07-02 um 12:49 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> When using \externalfigure it uses the print resolution for putting
> the graphic into the document. Until now all my graphics had a
> resolution of 300x300, but I just got one with a much lower one,
> which blew up in my document. I just set the print resolution to
> 300x300 and everything is fine again, but is there a way to override
> the printer resolution?

Just define the size you want to get?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: How to override the print resolution
@ 2011-07-02 11:53   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-02 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/2 Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>

> Am 2011-07-02 um 12:49 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:
>

>  When using \externalfigure it uses the print resolution for putting the
>> graphic into the document. Until now all my graphics had a resolution of
>> 300x300, but I just got one with a much lower one, which blew up in my
>> document. I just set the print resolution to 300x300 and everything is fine
>> again, but is there a way to override the printer resolution?
>>

> Just define the size you want to get?

I do not know the size. This is depending on the resolution of the picture.
What I want is that if I have two pictures with a resolution of 729x414 that
they take up the same amount of space in the document. Now if the first
picture has a printer resolution of 300x300 DPI and the second a printer
resolution of 100x100 DPI, the second picture will be three times as wide
and three times as high. Not very nice.

--

@ 2011-07-02 19:31     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-07-02 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-07-02 um 13:53 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> I do not know the size. This is depending on the resolution of the
> picture. What I want is that if I have two pictures with a
> resolution of 729x414 that they take up the same amount of space in
> the document. Now if the first picture has a printer resolution of
> 300x300 DPI and the second a printer resolution of 100x100 DPI, the
> second picture will be three times as wide and three times as high.
> Not very nice.

Then you can only normalize your resolutions beforehand (or perhaps
using the filter module) with some image processing tool, e.g.
ImageMagick, GraphicsConverter, Photoshop...

@ 2011-07-04 18:20       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-07-04 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 21:31, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2011-07-02 um 13:53 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:
>
>> I do not know the size. This is depending on the resolution of the
>> picture. What I want is that if I have two pictures with a resolution of
>> 729x414 that they take up the same amount of space in the document. Now if
>> the first picture has a printer resolution of 300x300 DPI and the second a
>> printer resolution of 100x100 DPI, the second picture will be three times as
>> wide and three times as high. Not very nice.
>
> Then you can only normalize your resolutions beforehand (or perhaps using
> the filter module) with some image processing tool, e.g. ImageMagick,
> GraphicsConverter, Photoshop...

I never used that feature and I don't know the answer, but I agree
with Cecil that one should be able to set a fixed resolution for all
images with some command without having to modify images with external
tools.

pdfTeX supports that with
    image_resolution 300
in pdftex.cfg for example (but maybe only if resolution is not defined).

Browsing the sources would suggest that
    \setupexternalfigures[resolution=300]
could work, but it doesn't change anything. One also finds
\setupsystem[resolution=...], but no effect either.

Mojca

* Re: How to override the print resolution
@ 2011-07-04 18:52         ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2011-07-04 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/4 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> pdfTeX supports that with
>    image_resolution 300
> in pdftex.cfg for example (but maybe only if resolution is not defined).

Yes. It's only used if the image specifies none or it has a crazy value.

Best
   Martin

* Re: How to override the print resolution
@ 2011-07-05 21:11         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-05 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4-7-2011 8:20, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 21:31, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Am 2011-07-02 um 13:53 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:
>>
>>> I do not know the size. This is depending on the resolution of the
>>> picture. What I want is that if I have two pictures with a resolution of
>>> 729x414 that they take up the same amount of space in the document. Now if
>>> the first picture has a printer resolution of 300x300 DPI and the second a
>>> printer resolution of 100x100 DPI, the second picture will be three times as
>>> wide and three times as high. Not very nice.
>>
>> Then you can only normalize your resolutions beforehand (or perhaps using
>> the filter module) with some image processing tool, e.g. ImageMagick,
>> GraphicsConverter, Photoshop...
>
> I never used that feature and I don't know the answer, but I agree
> with Cecil that one should be able to set a fixed resolution for all
> images with some command without having to modify images with external
> tools.
>
> pdfTeX supports that with
>      image_resolution 300
> in pdftex.cfg for example (but maybe only if resolution is not defined).
>
> Browsing the sources would suggest that
>      \setupexternalfigures[resolution=300]

That has a different purpose ... it's passed to the optional converter.

> could work, but it doesn't change anything. One also finds
> \setupsystem[resolution=...], but no effect either.

Indeed, that one is obsolete in mkiv (had to do with dvi).

But you can (still) set

\pdfimageresolution

although it might get protected in mkiv some day.

Best one can fix the image and make sure that it has the right
resolution info embedded (one of the tags).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE