* Important 5th ConTeXt meeting news
@ 2011-07-08 18:32 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-07-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

== Location change ==

Let's do the most important news first: The 5th ConTeXt meeting has
been relocated to Belgium (due to other obligations by Arthur,
southern France turned out to be near impossible to get organised).

The new location is Charneux, Belgium, geographically in the middle
of the triangle created by Maastricht (NL), Aachen (DE), and Liège (BE).

We will (as always) pick up people from various important public
transport spots during the Monday afternoon & evening, and try
our best to do timely drop-offs on Saturday as well.

== Registration / Bursaries ==

Perhaps it is the fine weather that makes people hold off, perhaps it
is because of Southern France sounding more attractive and the end of
summer, or maybe we simply have not sent enough reminder emails to the
list yet, but it is noticeable that the number of registrations is a
little less than usual around this time in the process. If you are
planning to attend, please register soon. Around August 20, the
caterer has to be informed on the number of people that need food,
so if you register any later than that you may run the risk of having
to eat scraps ;)

Joking aside, it goes without saying that we look forward to seeing as
many ConTeXt users as possible!

On a related note: we have received limited but firm commitments for
bursary funds from various LUGs, so even if you cannot afford the new
(reduced) fees, it may still be possible for you to attend. Just drop
us a message explaining how much funding you would need to be able to
attend and why we should give it to you, and we will see what can is
possible.

== Fee changes ==

With the location, also the fees have changed. What used to be the
'early bird' rate is now the 'normal' rate. Consequently, the normal
rate is now a lot lower than it initially was: down to 370 EUR.

Early bird registrations are now closed, but a discount of 100 EUR
will be retroactively applied for people that have already registered
until now.

There is now a fixed fee for accompanying persons of 300 EUR
(includes lodging and all meals, but no conference materials).

It is also possible to extend your stay until Monday morning 26/9,
for an extra fee of 30 EUR per day (but you will have to scavenge
your own food).

Finally, and perhaps most surprisingly, it is now actually possible
to pay!

Details are on the http://meeting.contextgarden.net/ website, on the
'fee' page. As your new main organiser and recipient of these funds,
Taco urges you to pay up sooner rather than later. If you cannot find
out how much you are due, just send a message asking for clarification.

== Registration changes ==

Besides a few changes resulting from the change in venue and
consequently the fees, there is also a new field for Passport/ID Number
(which is required for some tax thing).

If you have already registered, can you please either fill in the form
again, or send the required number by e-mail to Taco?

== Programme ==

As we have booked the venue for the whole week from 19/9 to 26/9, we
have a few extra days that will be spent by Hans, Taco and any other
interested people for developer/development meetings, More on that
later.

There are already some talks and abstracts online, but no official
programme yet, more on that later as well.

Hope to see you in Charneux!

Taco Hoekwater, also speaking for:

Willi Egger
Hans Hagen
Mojca Miklavec
Arthur Reutenauer

* Re: Important 5th ConTeXt meeting news
@ 2011-07-08 19:09 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-07-08 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/08/2011 08:32 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Taco,

I'm extremely grateful that you're taking over and making this meeting
possible - I was fearing it might have to be called off. Despite being
on the context group's board, I hadn't registered myself because I found
it difficult to plan for a trip to southern France, which would have
been difficult and expensive to boot. I'll register ASAP and will pay
very soon. Just one or two questions:

1. I can't take a full week off in September, teaching will start early
in October, so I would like to come for 2-3 days only.

2. My parents live in Aachen, just a 35-minute drive away, so I think I
will prefer to stay with them, which also gives me some time with them.
Do you think you can calculate a rate for meals, but without lodging?
Once the program is a bit in shape, we can calculate which days would be
best for me to come, OK?

3. I would like to offer tutorials or talks. What would you think is
most interesting:

a. Presentations in xml with simpleslides module

b. tutorial on xml in mkiv for beginners

c. presenting our latest book project typeset with context

Looking forward to seeing all of you pretty soon!

Thomas

* Re: Important 5th ConTeXt meeting news
@ 2011-07-08 19:11   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-07-08 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops, sorry for the noise, this was supposed to go to Taco, not to the
list...

@ 2011-07-08 19:20     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-07-08 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Oops, sorry for the noise, this was supposed to go to Taco, not to the
> list...
we are a big family :-)
anyway
>> c. presenting our latest book project typeset with context
I like this one. We (well, currently me and other two) in Italy are
discussing about "a minimal LaTeX for humanist",
I would like to see the context side.

--
luigi

* Re: Important 5th ConTeXt meeting news
@ 2011-07-08 21:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-08 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-7-2011 9:09, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> 3. I would like to offer tutorials or talks. What would you think is
> most interesting:
>
> a. Presentations in xml with simpleslides module
>
> b. tutorial on xml in mkiv for beginners
>
> c. presenting our latest book project typeset with context

steffen wanted something bibtex (could be an evening hands-on /
discussion too)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE