* Tracking in MKII and MKIV
@ 2011-08-16  0:22 Raymond LeClair
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Raymond LeClair @ 2011-08-16  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am automating the creation of books using ConTeXt with a graphic design graduate student at the Rhode Island School of Design.

The book cover is created using MetaPost inside a ConTeXt source file.

The graphic designer tells me it is very common to specify the interletter spacing, or tracking, and in fact, he considers this capability to be essential.

I understand that these, so called, microtypography capabilities are present in pdfTeX fully, but only partially present in LuaTeX (protrusion and expansion), although tracking can be set in a way using \kerncharacters[0.5] in LuaTeX.

However, the quality of the typesetting produced by LuaTeX is completely inadequate, while the quality of the typesetting produced by pdfTeX is very good.

Am I miss-understanding the differences in capability between pdfTeX and LuaTeX in this regard?

Relevant examples follow and PDFs are attached.

I processed the following ConTeXt source file using MKII:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (Web2C 2009) (format=cont-en 2011.8.13)
ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKII  fmt: 2011.8.13  int: english/english

===== START MKII EXAMPLE =====
\pdfminorversion=5

\definepapersize[LG1][width=9.3in,height=6.87in]
\definepapersize[LP1][width=9.55in,height=7.12in]

\setuppapersize[LG1][LP1]

\setuplayout[location=middle,marking=off]

\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

\startMPenvironment
  \usetypescript[modern][ec]
  \switchtotypeface[modern][7.0pt]
  \setupinterlinespace
  \def\stretchedspacefactor{4}
  \def\stretchedspaceamount{0.25em}
\stopMPenvironment

\startuniqueMPgraphic{cover}
  cover_paper_width := 9.55in;
  cover_paper_height := 7.12in;
  left_margin := 0.347222222222in;
  top_margin := 0.347222222222in;
  bottom_margin := 0.347222222222in;

  draw (0, 0)--(cover_paper_width, cover_paper_height)
    withpen pencircle scaled 1bp withcolor white;

  picture labelText;
  labelText := btex {\vbox{\hsize 2.38888888889in \baselineskip 10.5pt
                           T\hskip 0.25em\stretchednormalcase{HIS BOOK
                             CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO TWITTER BY
                             LADYGAGA FROM MARCH 27, 2008 TO AUGUST 5,
                             2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON DEMAND ON AUGUST
                             14, 2011}}} etex;
  labeloffset := 0bp;
  label.lrt(labelText, (left_margin,
                        cover_paper_height - top_margin));

\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[cover][\uniqueMPgraphic{cover}]

\starttext

\title{}
\setupbackgrounds[paper][background={cover}]

\stoptext
===== STOP MKII EXAMPLE =====

I processed the following ConTeXt source file using MKIV:

this is luatex, version beta-0.70.1-2011051908 (rev 4277)
ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.7.13  int: english/english

===== START MKVI EXAMPLE =====
\pdfminorversion=5

\definepapersize[LG1][width=9.24in,height=6.87in]
\definepapersize[LP1][width=9.49in,height=7.12in]

\setuppapersize[LG1][LP1]

\setuplayout[location=middle,marking=off]

\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

\definefont[LabelFont][Serif sa 0.583]

\startuniqueMPgraphic{cover}
  cover_paper_width := 9.49in;
  cover_paper_height := 7.12in;
  left_margin := 0.347222222222in;
  top_margin := 0.347222222222in;
  bottom_margin := 0.347222222222in;

  draw (0, 0)--(cover_paper_width, cover_paper_height)
    withpen pencircle scaled 1bp withcolor white;

  picture labelText;
  labelText := btex {\vbox{\hsize 2.38888888889in \baselineskip 10.5pt \LabelFont
                           {\kerncharacters[0.5]
                            THIS BOOK CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO
                            TWITTER BY LADYGAGA FROM MARCH 27, 2008
                            TO AUGUST 5, 2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON
                            DEMAND ON AUGUST 14, 2011}}} etex;
  labeloffset := 0bp;
  label.lrt(labelText, (left_margin,
                        cover_paper_height - top_margin));

\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[cover][\uniqueMPgraphic{cover}]

\starttext

\title{}
\setupbackgrounds[paper][background={cover}]

\stoptext
===== STOP MKVI EXAMPLE =====

The MKII PDF

[-- Attachment #2: cover-mkii.pdf --]

The MKIV PDF

[-- Attachment #4: cover-mkiv.pdf --]

* Re: Tracking in MKII and MKIV
@ 2011-08-16  8:02 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-16  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.08.2011 um 02:22 schrieb Raymond LeClair:

> I am automating the creation of books using ConTeXt with a graphic design graduate student at the Rhode Island School of Design.
>
> The book cover is created using MetaPost inside a ConTeXt source file.
>
> The graphic designer tells me it is very common to specify the interletter spacing, or tracking, and in fact, he considers this capability to be essential.
>
> I understand that these, so called, microtypography capabilities are present in pdfTeX fully, but only partially present in LuaTeX (protrusion and expansion), although tracking can be set in a way using \kerncharacters[0.5] in LuaTeX.
>
> However, the quality of the typesetting produced by LuaTeX is completely inadequate, while the quality of the typesetting produced by pdfTeX is very good.
>
> Am I miss-understanding the differences in capability between pdfTeX and LuaTeX in this regard?

To place elements on a fixed position on the page you can use layers.

It’s also important to disable kerning, ligatures etc.

\definepapersize[LG1][width=9.24in,height=6.87in]
\definepapersize[LP1][width=9.49in,height=7.12in]

\setuppapersize[LG1][LP1]

\setuplayout[location=middle,marking=off]

\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

%\definefont[LabelFont][Serif sa 0.583]
\definefont[LabelFont][Serif*none at 7pt]

\definelayer[cover]

\starttext

\startlayout[page]
\startstandardmakeup

\setlayerframed
  [cover]
  [x=0.3472in,
   y=0.3472in]
  [frame=off,
   width=2.6in,
   align={right,broad},
   foregroundstyle=LabelFont]
  {\setupinterlinespace[line=10.5pt]
   \setuptolerance[space]%
   \kerncharacters[0.25]
   THIS BOOK CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO
   TWITTER BY LADYGAGA FROM MARCH 27, 2008
   TO AUGUST 5, 2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON
   DEMAND ON AUGUST 14, 2011\par}

\placelayer[cover]

\stopstandardmakeup
\stoplayout

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Tracking in MKII and MKIV
@ 2011-08-16  8:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-16  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-8-2011 2:22, Raymond LeClair wrote:

> The graphic designer tells me it is very common to specify the interletter spacing, or tracking, and in fact, he considers this capability to be essential.

intercharacter spacing is ok for titling but for running text ... maybe
common but not that good (after all it spoils the font design)

> I understand that these, so called, microtypography capabilities are present in pdfTeX fully, but only partially present in LuaTeX (protrusion and expansion), although tracking can be set in a way using \kerncharacters[0.5] in LuaTeX.

pdftex has some inter character kerning features but they are considered
to be experimental and in context they are supported (see hand-ini.mkii)
but I must admit that I never used it and have forgotten how to enable it

> However, the quality of the typesetting produced by LuaTeX is completely inadequate, while the quality of the typesetting produced by pdfTeX is very good.

nu clue (yet) but i might as well remove the old mechanism from mkiv as
we have better ways

> Am I miss-understanding the differences in capability between pdfTeX and LuaTeX in this regard?

yes, see example below (somewhat changed so you might want to wikify it
as example (it will confuse mojca's number of hits filters as 'twitter'
and 'ladygaga' might lead to false google lookups).

\definepapersize[LG1][width=9.24in,height=6.87in]
\definepapersize[LP1][width=9.49in,height=7.12in]

\setuppapersize[LG1][LP1]

\setuplayout[location=middle,marking=off]

\definefont[LabelFont][Serif sa 0.583]

\definecharacterkerning [mykerning] [factor=.5]

\startbuffer
     THIS BOOK CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO
     TWITTER BY LADYGAGA FROM MARCH 27, 2008
     TO AUGUST 5, 2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON
     DEMAND ON AUGUST 14, 2011
\stopbuffer

\startsetups covertext
     \framed
         [
             width=2.38888888889in,
             align=normal,
             frame=off,
             offset=0pt,
             foregroundstyle=\LabelFont
         ]
         {
             \baselineskip10.5pt
             \setcharacterkerning[mykerning]
             \getbuffer
             \par
         }
\stopsetups

\startuniqueMPgraphic{cover}
     StartPage ;
         left_margin := 0.347222222222in ;
         top_margin  := 0.347222222222in ;

     draw
         textext.lrt("\setups[covertext]")
         shifted ulcorner Page
         shifted (left_margin,-top_margin) ;

     StopPage ;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[cover][\uniqueMPgraphic{cover}]

\definelayer
   [page]
   [width=\paperwidth,
    height=\paperheight]

\showframe

\starttext

     % variant one:

     \setupbackgrounds
       [paper]
       [background={cover}]

     \startstandardmakeup\stopstandardmakeup \page

     \setupbackgrounds
       [paper]
       [background=]

     % variant two:

     \setlayer
       [page]
       [preset=lefttop,
        offset=0.347222222222in]
       {\setups[covertext]}

     \setuplayout
       [page]

     \tightlayer[page] \page

     \setuplayout

\stoptext

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Tracking in MKII and MKIV
@ 2011-08-16  8:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-16  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

best disable the regular kerning:

\starttext

\definedfont[Serif*none] % no kerning

\hsize 2.38888888889in
\kerncharacters[0.125]
THIS BOOK CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO TWITTER BY LADYGAGA FROM MARCH
27, 2008
TO AUGUST 5, 2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON DEMAND ON AUGUST 14, 2011

\kerncharacters[0.250]
THIS BOOK CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO TWITTER BY LADYGAGA FROM MARCH
27, 2008
TO AUGUST 5, 2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON DEMAND ON AUGUST 14, 2011

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Tracking in MKII and MKIV
@ 2011-08-16 23:11   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-16 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-8-2011 10:37, Hans Hagen wrote:

> best disable the regular kerning:
>
> \starttext
>
> \definedfont[Serif*none] % no kerning
>
> \hsize 2.38888888889in
> \kerncharacters[0.125]
> THIS BOOK CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO TWITTER BY LADYGAGA FROM MARCH
> 27, 2008
> TO AUGUST 5, 2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON DEMAND ON AUGUST 14, 2011
>
> \kerncharacters[0.250]
> THIS BOOK CONTAINS 988 TWEETS POSTED TO TWITTER BY LADYGAGA FROM MARCH
> 27, 2008
> TO AUGUST 5, 2011. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON DEMAND ON AUGUST 14, 2011
>
> \stoptext

node mode fonts supported in next beta

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE