* Definition of lualetterbackslash
@ 2011-08-22  7:15 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-08-22  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Consider the following example:

\startluacode
print("lualetterbackslash:", [=[\\include]=])
\stopluacode

\def\lualetterbackslash{\letterbackslash}
\startluacode
print("letterbackslash:", [=[\\include]=])
\stopluacode

\bye

gives

lualetterbackslash:     \\include
letterbackslash:        \include

I find the second alternative better. Why is \lualetterbackslash defined
differently from \letterbackslash?

Aditya

* Re: Definition of lualetterbackslash
@ 2011-08-22  8:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-22  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-8-2011 09:15, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi
>
> Consider the following example:
>
> \startluacode
> print("lualetterbackslash:", [=[\\include]=])
> \stopluacode
>
> \def\lualetterbackslash{\letterbackslash}
> \startluacode
> print("letterbackslash:", [=[\\include]=])
> \stopluacode
>
> \bye
>
> gives
>
> lualetterbackslash: \\include
> letterbackslash: \include
>
> I find the second alternative better. Why is \lualetterbackslash defined
> differently from \letterbackslash?

to avoid problems with \n, \t and such

btw, best use context.include then as it provides you better tracing

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-08-22  8:49   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-08-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 22-8-2011 09:15, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Consider the following example:
>>
>> \startluacode
>> print("lualetterbackslash:", [=[\\include]=])
>> \stopluacode
>>
>> \def\lualetterbackslash{\letterbackslash}
>> \startluacode
>> print("letterbackslash:", [=[\\include]=])
>> \stopluacode
>>
>> \bye
>>
>> gives
>>
>> lualetterbackslash: \\include
>> letterbackslash: \include
>>
>> I find the second alternative better. Why is \lualetterbackslash defined
>> differently from \letterbackslash?
>
> to avoid problems with \n, \t and such

Ah, I see.

> btw, best use context.include then as it provides you better tracing

Well, \include is a lilypond command that must be written to an external
file, something like this:

\startluacode
lilypond_preamble = [[
\\include "lilypond-book-preamble.py"
other settings that will be substituted at run-time
]]

buffers.assign("preamble", lilypond_preamble)
\stopluacode

\startbuffer[content]
content of lilypond file
\stopbuffer

\savebuffer[preamble,content][temp-file]

\bye

I'll probably just use

\appendtoks
   \def\/{\letterbackslash}
\to\everyluacode

and then \/include. Other than using the magic single letter commands, I
don't see an easy way of getting a \ in a lua string inside luacode :(

- \noexpand\include fails unless I define \include
- \letterbackslash include gives "\ include"

@ 2011-08-22  9:13     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-22  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-8-2011 10:49, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> and then \/include. Other than using the magic single letter commands, I
> don't see an easy way of getting a \ in a lua string inside luacode :(
>
> - \noexpand\include fails unless I define \include
> - \letterbackslash include gives "\ include"
> - \letterbackslash{}include gives "\{}include"

you can also play with

\luaescapestring{...}
\detokenize{...}

or just