* Re: Embedding of ICC profiles and preflight
@ 2011-09-02  7:12 Honza Hejzl
From: Honza Hejzl @ 2011-09-02  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

So, it is interesting and more complicated. The exact part:

\setupbackend
   [format=PDF/X-1a:2001,
    intent=Coated FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004),
    option=always,% for a much bigger document :-)
   ]

… seems to work on my Debian standalone ConTeXt installation (ok, I will
test it again but it objected nothing (about ICC not embedded) in yesteday
in Acrobat's preflight) but on my Win XP standalone one it doesn't work. I
have the profiles in the same directories, of course. On Win it can't eat
the comma, on Debian it can.

Although the advice:

\definecolor[cmykblack][k=1]
\setupcolors[rgb=no,cmyk=yes,intent=overprint,textcolor=cmykblack]

… seems very logical, it doesn't work, preflight still sees the text like a
greyscale.

Thanks, Honza

* Re: Embedding of ICC profiles and preflight
@ 2011-09-02  8:33 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-09-02  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.09.2011 09:12, schrieb Honza Hejzl:
> So, it is interesting and more complicated. The exact part:
>
> \setupbackend
>    [format=PDF/X-1a:2001,
>     intent=Coated FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004),
>     option=always,% for a much bigger document :-)
>    ]
>
> … seems to work on my Debian standalone ConTeXt installation (ok, I will
> test it again but it objected nothing (about ICC not embedded) in
> yesteday in Acrobat's preflight) but on my Win XP standalone one it
> doesn't work. I have the profiles in the same directories, of course. On
> Win it can't eat the comma, on Debian it can.
>
> Although the advice:
>
> \definecolor[cmykblack][k=1]
> \setupcolors[rgb=no,cmyk=yes,intent=overprint,textcolor=cmykblack]

I just tested it and I also get DeviceGray here. The solution is to
define the CMYK black with all of its components. Otherwise it's reduced
to DeviceGray.

\definecolor[cmykblack][c=0,m=0,y=0,k=1]

@ 2011-09-07  8:57 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-09-07  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are several test cases for the different PDF/X variants in

[?]/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/test

Copy 'pdf-x1a-2001.mkiv', 'pdf-x-common.mkiv' and the icc profile to
your test directory. Just add the parameter 'option=always' to the test
file and run it ('context pdf-x1a-2001.mkiv').

The profile is embedded here (1.7MB sized PDF instead of 7.5KB in the
other case).

The preflight in my Acrobat9 is only able to check the '2003' variant,
so it complains about the wrong format. You can ignore this one.

Best wishes,  Peter

@ 2011-09-06 17:57 Honza Hejzl
From: Honza Hejzl @ 2011-09-06 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2011-09-01 20:48   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-09-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.09.2011 20:42, schrieb Honza Hejzl:
> Thanks,
>
> Just a notice – the style \startoverprint… should be probably in future
> versions too, or how to overprint two elements and how to knockout the
> next one? Is it possible? (In one file could be a lot of such cases needed.)

You never know and as Wolfgang stated, it's best (and wise) to use the
latest official commands.

\startcolorintent[overprint] Overprinted text \stopcolorintent
\startcolorintent[knockout] Knockout text \stopcolorintent

The commands can also be nested.

\startcolorintent[overprint] OVERPRINT ONE TWO
\startcolorintent[knockout] KNOCKOUT THREE \stopcolorintent
OVERPRINT FOUR \stopcolorintent

> In case of \setupcolors[intent=overprint] is the problem in the fact
> that preflight says that all text is "gray object overprinted" and that
> is against the standards. I have simply one test page with one article
> of black text. Everything goes fine except the fact of non-embedded
> profile and the fact that text is considered like a gray scale object.

The (stupid) preflight has problems with overprinting in combination
with grayscale. You could try to use CMYK (black) then. Something like

\definecolor[cmykblack][k=1]
\setupcolors[textcolor=cmykblack]

@ 2011-09-01 18:53 Honza Hejzl
From: Honza Hejzl @ 2011-09-01 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Heureka, don't know why but now, with your example, Acrobat sees just a one
simple error – it sees like a gray object the pagenumber!

Honza Hejzl

* Re: Embedding of ICC profiles and preflight
@ 2011-09-01 18:42 ` Honza Hejzl
From: Honza Hejzl @ 2011-09-01 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2011-09-01 15:40     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-09-01 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.09.2011 17:24, schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

> Am 01.09.2011 um 17:08 schrieb Peter Rolf:
>
>> Use '\startoverprint ... \stopoverprint', […]
>
> You shouldn’t recommend deprecated commands, it’s only in the core for backwards
> compatibility and was replaced by “\startcolorintent[overprint] ... \stopcolorintent”.

I see. Thanks for the info. I must admit that I still use the old ones
here (will change now)...

@ 2011-09-01 15:24   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-09-01 15:08 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-09-01 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.09.2011 15:30, schrieb Honza Hejzl:
> Hello,
> I am trying to embed a profile but it doesn't work. I am using:
>
> \setupbackend
>     [format=PDF/X-1a:2001,
>     intent=Coated FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004),
>     file=CoatedFOGRA39.icc,
>     option=always
>     ]
>
> Acrobat Preflight says it has not profile embedded. Am I doing something
> wrong?

Mh, maybe add a comma after 'option=always'? You can also add

\enabletrackers[backend.pdfx]

in front of the \setupbackend command to get additional info in the log.

Is there a reason to force embedding of the profile? If I remember right
PDF/X-1a can do without, if the profile is common.

\setupbackend
    [format=PDF/X-1a:2001,
     intent=Coated FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004),
     option=always, % for a much bigger document :-)
    ]

should be enough ('file' is derived from the entry in
colorprofiles.xml). A profile with this name should be in the specific
path. See

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDFX#ICC%20profiles

for the details. The mentioned $OSCOLORDIR variable is no longer valid.

> The next thing is I am using text smaller than 12pt and nothing helps me
> to prevent ConTeXt to:
>
> 1) overprint the GRAY text (\setupcolors allows just to set cmyk-gray/rgb);
> 2) knockout text smaller than 12pt, what is not allowed in a good pdf file.

Just guessing (your description rings a bell):

Use '\startoverprint ... \stopoverprint', not the global
'\setupcolors[overprint=yes]'. The latter is only useful, if your
document is pure black text only (everything in it is overprinted)!

Best wishes,  Peter

* Embedding of ICC profiles and preflight
@ 2011-09-01 13:30 Honza Hejzl
From: Honza Hejzl @ 2011-09-01 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context