* Typesetting >> in verbatim
@ 2011-09-07  9:42 Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2011-09-07  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I am having problems typing ">>" when typesetting code within a
\definetyping environment.

I hope someone might be able to give me a hint.  My code looks as
follows:

\definetyping
   [Haskell]
   [ option=commands,
     before={\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,
       frame=off,bottomframe=on,topframe=on,
       background=screen,backgroundscreen=.90]},
     after={\stopframedtext},
     bodyfont=9pt,
     margin=1.5em]

\startHaskell
main = foo >>= bar
\stopHaskell

Whenever ConTeXt comes across >> anywhere in the text, it just doesn't
typeset anything.  So in the above case, I get the output:

main = foo = bar

Thanks for you help!

Thomas

* Re: Typesetting >> in verbatim
@ 2011-09-08  7:55 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-09-08  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Thomas Friedrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems typing ">>" when typesetting code within a
> \definetyping environment.
>
> I hope someone might be able to give me a hint.  My code looks as
> follows:
>
> \definetyping
>   [Haskell]
>   [ option=commands,
>     before={\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,
>       frame=off,bottomframe=on,topframe=on,
>       background=screen,backgroundscreen=.90]},
>     after={\stopframedtext},
>     bodyfont=9pt,
>     margin=1.5em]
>
> \startHaskell
> main = foo >>= bar
> \stopHaskell
>
> Whenever ConTeXt comes across >> anywhere in the text, it just doesn't
> typeset anything.  So in the above case, I get the output:
>
> main = foo = bar

Confirmed. >> are eaten in MkII but everything works fine with MkIV. My
guess is because of automatic ligatures for >>. My usual trick for
disabling such ligatures in MkII is

     \usetypescript [modern] [texnansi]
     \setupbodyfont [modern]

but that does not work in this case. There were some discussions in the
past about disabling ligatures in typewriter font, but I don't remember
the exact solution.

Aditya

* Re: Typesetting >> in verbatim
@ 2011-09-08  7:59   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-08  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.09.2011 um 09:55 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Thomas Friedrich wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having problems typing ">>" when typesetting code within a
>> \definetyping environment.
>>
>> I hope someone might be able to give me a hint.  My code looks as
>> follows:
>>
>> \definetyping
>>  [Haskell]
>>  [ option=commands,
>>    before={\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,
>>      frame=off,bottomframe=on,topframe=on,
>>      background=screen,backgroundscreen=.90]},
>>    after={\stopframedtext},
>>    bodyfont=9pt,
>>    margin=1.5em]
>>
>> \startHaskell
>> main = foo >>= bar
>> \stopHaskell
>>
>> Whenever ConTeXt comes across >> anywhere in the text, it just doesn't
>> typeset anything.  So in the above case, I get the output:
>>
>> main = foo = bar
>
> Confirmed. >> are eaten in MkII but everything works fine with MkIV. My guess is because of automatic ligatures for >>. My usual trick for disabling such ligatures in MkII is
>
>    \usetypescript [modern] [texnansi]
>    \setupbodyfont [modern]
>
> but that does not work in this case. There were some discussions in the past about disabling ligatures in typewriter font, but I don't remember the exact solution.

No, the culprit is “option=commands" which gobbles “>>”.

Wolfgang

* Re: Typesetting >> in verbatim
@ 2011-09-08  8:39     ` Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2011-09-08  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, den 08.09.2011, 09:59 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> Am 08.09.2011 um 09:55 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
> > On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Thomas Friedrich wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am having problems typing ">>" when typesetting code within a
> >> \definetyping environment.
> >>
> >> I hope someone might be able to give me a hint.  My code looks as
> >> follows:
> >>
> >> \definetyping
> >>  [Haskell]
> >>  [ option=commands,
> >>    before={\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,
> >>      frame=off,bottomframe=on,topframe=on,
> >>      background=screen,backgroundscreen=.90]},
> >>    after={\stopframedtext},
> >>    bodyfont=9pt,
> >>    margin=1.5em]
> >>
> >> \startHaskell
> >> main = foo >>= bar
> >> \stopHaskell
> >>
> >> Whenever ConTeXt comes across >> anywhere in the text, it just doesn't
> >> typeset anything.  So in the above case, I get the output:
> >>
> >> main = foo = bar
> >
> > Confirmed. >> are eaten in MkII but everything works fine with MkIV. My guess is because of automatic ligatures for >>. My usual trick for disabling such ligatures in MkII is
> >
> >    \usetypescript [modern] [texnansi]
> >    \setupbodyfont [modern]
> >
> > but that does not work in this case. There were some discussions in the past about disabling ligatures in typewriter font, but I don't remember the exact solution.
>
> No, the culprit is “option=commands" which gobbles “>>”.
>
> Wolfgang

You are absolutely right, Wolfgang.  When removing the "option=commands"
from the definition, the ">>" won't get eaten.  (Thanks!)  However, my
whole code consists of things such as

\startHaskell
  main = f1 /BTEX$\circ$/ETEX  f2 >>= hey
\stopHaskell

How comes that the ">>" are gobbled?  Even worse, something like

\startHaskell
  foo = bar =<< print
\stopHaskell

won't even compile.  It doesn't like "<<".

Question: Is there a way to replace the ">>" and "<<" strings in
the typesetting environment by something else?  Or another work around?

Thanks,
Thomas

* Re: Typesetting >> in verbatim
@ 2011-09-08  8:57       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-08  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Thomas Friedrich <info@suud.de> wrote:

> Question: Is there a way to replace the ">>" and "<<" strings in
> the typesetting environment by something else?  Or another work around?

maybe
\startHaskell
foo = bar =/BTEX<</ETEX print
foo = bar =/BTEX$<<$/ETEX print
\stopHaskell

--
luigi

* Re: Typesetting >> in verbatim
@ 2011-09-08 14:34         ` Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2011-09-08 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, den 08.09.2011, 10:57 +0200 schrieb luigi scarso:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Thomas Friedrich <info@suud.de> wrote:
>
> > Question: Is there a way to replace the ">>" and "<<" strings in
> > the typesetting environment by something else?  Or another work around?
> >
> maybe
> \startHaskell
> foo = bar =/BTEX<</ETEX print
> foo = bar =/BTEX$<<$/ETEX print
> \stopHaskell
>

> --
> luigi

For anyone who's interested, I
will do the following now:

\startHaskell
foo /BTEX{\tt >>\!=}/ETEX  bar
foo /BTEX>>\!=/ETEX  bar
bar /BTEX{\tt =\!<<}/ETEX  foo
bar /BTEX=\!<</ETEX  foo
\stopHaskell

looks pretty nice, although it isn't really what I intended
at the start.

Best,
Thomas

* Re: Typesetting >> in verbatim
@ 2011-09-08 14:51       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-08 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-9-2011 10:39, Thomas Friedrich wrote:

> won't even compile.  It doesn't like "<<".
>
> Question: Is there a way to replace the ">>" and"<<" strings in
> the typesetting environment by something else?  Or another work around?

this is because << >> is considered grouping

just use mkiv

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE