* Frame around float and its caption, how to?
@ 2011-09-25 16:10 Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-09-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I'm using 201100920 00:09 MkIV standalone.  Some time ago Marcin
Borkowski asked [1] on this list about framing floats together with
their captions.  It seems to be unanswered and now I stumbled upon a
similar problem.  I want to have a figure with a caption together in a
frame as wide as the surrounding text, aka \textwidth and the caption
filling the available horizontal space.  I.e. I want something like

\setupcaption[width=\textwidth]
\starttext
\placefigure[here]{\input tufte}{\externalfigure[cow]}
\stoptext

with a frame around it.

I see two approaches here and none of them gives me what I need.  First
using \setupfloat[frame=on] only frames the cow and not the caption.  I
think I can manually correct this with "framedepth" and "width" but
doing something "manually" in ConTeXt seems not like a good idea.  Am I
overlooking something about \setupfloat?

Secondly, I tried \framed{...} around \placefigure but there are two
issues here: How do I setup the caption to fit nicely into the frame?
"\setupcaption[width=\textwidth]" is to much because of the frame
spacing...  And there is another serious issue, see the following
minimal example.  The frame is where the figure was placed but is empty,
because the figure floated to the next page.

\setupcaption[width=max]
\starttext
\dorecurse{2}{\input tufte \par}
\framed{\placefigure[here][fig:muh]{\input tufte}{\externalfigure[cow]}}
\input tufte
\stoptext

I have no idea how to procede with this.  Hopefully someone on this list
knows how to do this right.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan.

[1]
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090724.123610.ddad55af.en.html

* Re: Frame around float and its caption, how to?
@ 2011-09-25 16:32 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.09.2011 um 18:10 schrieb Stefan Müller:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm using 201100920 00:09 MkIV standalone.  Some time ago Marcin Borkowski asked [1] on this list about framing floats together with their captions.  It seems to be unanswered and now I stumbled upon a similar problem.  I want to have a figure with a caption together in a frame as wide as the surrounding text, aka \textwidth and the caption filling the available horizontal space.  I.e. I want something like
>
> \setupcaption[width=\textwidth]
> \starttext
> \placefigure[here]{\input tufte}{\externalfigure[cow]}
> \stoptext
>
> with a frame around it.

Found this in my mail archive:

% engine=pdftex

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]

\setupfloats[frame=on,frameoffset=1mm]

\starttext

\section{A figure with a background}

\placefigure
 {none}
 {\placelegend
    {\externalfigure[mill][scale=2000]}
    {\placefloatcaption[figure]{A dutch mill}}}

\stoptext

It works only with MkII because \placefloatcaption isn’t yet rewritten for the new MkIV code.

Wolfgang

* Re: Frame around float and its caption, how to?
@ 2011-09-25 18:57   ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-09-25 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for taking a look at this.  Too bad your solution is only
MkII.  The document I'm currently working on is to be written in APA
style and unfortunately the frame around figure+caption is required...
I'm not really interested in changing to MkII... ;)  I hope there can
also be a not too involed solution for this in MkIV.

Best regards,
Stefan