* SimpleFonts: no italic and bold
@ 2011-10-17 11:38 Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2011-10-17 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt NTG

Hi,

I'm currently trying to use our corporate identity font face for
internal documents, however neither bold nor italic seem to work.

I try to load it with:
\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[telegrotesk]

The fonts reported by mtxrun --script font --list --all contains:
telegroteskfet         telegroteskfett   c:/windows/fonts/t036016t_v21.ttf
telegroteskfetnormal   telegroteskfett   c:/windows/fonts/t036016t_v21.ttf
telegroteskfett        telegroteskfett   c:/windows/fonts/t036016t_v21.ttf
telegroteskhal         telegroteskhalb   c:/windows/fonts/t036014t_v21.ttf
telegroteskhalb        telegroteskhalb   c:/windows/fonts/t036014t_v21.ttf
telegroteskhalnormal   telegroteskhalb   c:/windows/fonts/t036014t_v21.ttf
telegrotesknor         telegrotesknorm   c:/windows/fonts/t036013t_v21.ttf
telegrotesknorm        telegrotesknorm   c:/windows/fonts/t036013t_v21.ttf
telegrotesknornormal   telegrotesknorm   c:/windows/fonts/t036013t_v21.ttf

The --info output for normal ...
mtx-fonts       | mapping : telegrotesknornormal
mtx-fonts       | fontname: telegrotesknorm
mtx-fonts       | fullname: telegrotesknor
mtx-fonts       | filename: c:/windows/fonts/t036013t_v21.ttf
mtx-fonts       | family  : telegrotesknor
mtx-fonts       | weight  : normal
mtx-fonts       | style   : normal
mtx-fonts       | width   : normal
mtx-fonts       | variant : normal
mtx-fonts       | subfont :
mtx-fonts       | fweight : conflict: book
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | gpos features:
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | feature  script   languages
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | kern     dflt     dflt
mtx-fonts       |          latn     dflt
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | gsub features:
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | feature  script   languages
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | tlig     all      all
mtx-fonts       | trep     all      all

... and bold:
mtx-fonts       | mapping : telegroteskfetnormal
mtx-fonts       | fontname: telegroteskfett
mtx-fonts       | fullname: telegroteskfet
mtx-fonts       | filename: c:/windows/fonts/t036016t_v21.ttf
mtx-fonts       | family  : telegroteskfet
mtx-fonts       | weight  : normal
mtx-fonts       | style   : normal
mtx-fonts       | width   : normal
mtx-fonts       | variant : normal
mtx-fonts       | subfont :
mtx-fonts       | fweight : conflict: book
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | gpos features:
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | feature  script   languages
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | kern     dflt     dflt
mtx-fonts       |          latn     dflt
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | gsub features:
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | feature  script   languages
mtx-fonts       |
mtx-fonts       | tlig     all      all
mtx-fonts       | trep     all      all

What would be the preferred way to setup the font in this scenario?

Thanks in advance!

--
Best Regards,
Andreas Schneider

* Re: SimpleFonts: no italic and bold
@ 2011-10-17 12:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-17 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.10.2011 um 13:38 schrieb Andreas Schneider:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to use our corporate identity font face for internal documents, however neither bold nor italic seem to work.
>
> I try to load it with:
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[telegrotesk]
>
> The fonts reported by mtxrun --script font --list --all contains:
> telegroteskfet         telegroteskfett   c:/windows/fonts/t036016t_v21.ttf
> telegroteskfetnormal   telegroteskfett   c:/windows/fonts/t036016t_v21.ttf
> telegroteskfett        telegroteskfett   c:/windows/fonts/t036016t_v21.ttf
> telegroteskhal         telegroteskhalb   c:/windows/fonts/t036014t_v21.ttf
> telegroteskhalb        telegroteskhalb   c:/windows/fonts/t036014t_v21.ttf
> telegroteskhalnormal   telegroteskhalb   c:/windows/fonts/t036014t_v21.ttf
> telegrotesknor         telegrotesknorm   c:/windows/fonts/t036013t_v21.ttf
> telegrotesknorm        telegrotesknorm   c:/windows/fonts/t036013t_v21.ttf
> telegrotesknornormal   telegrotesknorm   c:/windows/fonts/t036013t_v21.ttf

Important for simplefonts are the entries in the first colums, you can use

  \setmainfont[telegrotesk][regularfont=* nor,boldfont=* fett]

to enable the font.

> The --info output for normal ...
> mtx-fonts       | family  : telegrotesknor
>
> ... and bold:
> mtx-fonts       | family  : telegroteskfet
>
> What would be the preferred way to setup the font in this scenario?

As you can see from this two entries the fonts internal names are a mess,
both should be “family: telegrotesk” for a proper names font but this isn’t
the case here and the reason why automatic detection fails.

Wolfgang

* Re: SimpleFonts: no italic and bold
@ 2011-10-17 12:36   ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2011-10-17 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.10.2011 14:00, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Important for simplefonts are the entries in the first colums, you can use
>
>    \setmainfont[telegrotesk][regularfont=* nor,boldfont=* fett]
>
> to enable the font.

Ah, that is what I was looking for. Bold works now! Thank you! :-)

There's still one problem though: italic doesn't work. I guess the font
doesn't provide that feature by itself, but can it be emulated/enabled?

>> >  The --info output for normal ...
>> >  mtx-fonts       | family  : telegrotesknor
>> >
>> >  ... and bold:
>> >  mtx-fonts       | family  : telegroteskfet
>> >
>> >  What would be the preferred way to setup the font in this scenario?
> As you can see from this two entries the fonts internal names are a mess,
> both should be “family: telegrotesk” for a proper names font but this isn’t
> the case here and the reason why automatic detection fails.

AFAIK the font was designed by URW who I would expect to do better than
that ... but well, it's an old font and maybe it was done in a hurry :D

--

@ 2011-10-17 12:46     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-17 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.10.2011 um 14:36 schrieb Andreas Schneider:

> On 17.10.2011 14:00, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Important for simplefonts are the entries in the first colums, you can use
>>
>>   \setmainfont[telegrotesk][regularfont=* nor,boldfont=* fett]
>>
>> to enable the font.
>
> Ah, that is what I was looking for. Bold works now! Thank you! :-)
>
> There's still one problem though: italic doesn't work.

Is there a file for the italic style?

> I guess the font doesn't provide that feature by itself, but can it be emulated/enabled?

ConTeXt can fake the slanted and bold style but they are not the same as a real italic and bold font.

>> As you can see from this two entries the fonts internal names are a mess,
>> both should be “family: telegrotesk” for a proper names font but this isn’t
>> the case here and the reason why automatic detection fails.
>
> AFAIK the font was designed by URW who I would expect to do better than that ... but well, it's an old font and maybe it was done in a hurry :D

No, also new fonts can be a mess and there are too many information and names in a font which show sometimes very different values.

Wolfgang

* Re: SimpleFonts: no italic and bold
@ 2011-10-17 13:03       ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2011-10-17 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.10.2011 14:46, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Ah, that is what I was looking for. Bold works now! Thank you! :-)
>>
>> There's still one problem though: italic doesn't work.
>
> Is there a file for the italic style?
>
>> I guess the font doesn't provide that feature by itself, but can it be emulated/enabled?
>
> ConTeXt can fake the slanted and bold style but they are not the same as a real italic and bold font.

AFAICS there is no italic style. Only regular, bold and semi-bold. What
is needed to get simplefonts to fake italic (and slanted for that matter)?

--

@ 2011-10-17 14:49         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-17 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.10.2011 um 15:03 schrieb Andreas Schneider:

> On 17.10.2011 14:46, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> Ah, that is what I was looking for. Bold works now! Thank you! :-)
>>>
>>> There's still one problem though: italic doesn't work.
>>
>> Is there a file for the italic style?
>>
>>> I guess the font doesn't provide that feature by itself, but can it be emulated/enabled?
>>
>> ConTeXt can fake the slanted and bold style but they are not the same as a real italic and bold font.
>>

> AFAICS there is no italic style. Only regular, bold and semi-bold. What is needed to get simplefonts to fake italic (and slanted for that matter)?

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\definefontfeature[fakeitalic][default][slant=.25] % for fake bold use “stretch=<number>”

\setmainfont
  [telegrotesk]
  [regularfont=* nor,
   italicfont=* nor,
   boldfont=* fett,
   bolditalicfont=* fett,
   italicfeatures=fakeitalic, % just the name of a fontfeature
   bolditalicfeatures=fakeitalic]

Wolfgang

* Re: SimpleFonts: no italic and bold
@ 2011-10-18  6:41           ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2011-10-18  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.10.2011 16:49, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \definefontfeature[fakeitalic][default][slant=.25] % for fake bold use “stretch=<number>”
>
> \setmainfont
>    [telegrotesk]
>    [regularfont=* nor,
>     italicfont=* nor,
>     boldfont=* fett,
>     bolditalicfont=* fett,
>     italicfeatures=fakeitalic, % just the name of a fontfeature
>     bolditalicfeatures=fakeitalic]
>
> Wolfgang

Thank you very much, that works like a charm!
I wikified it for future reference:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Handling_special_cases

--
Best Regards,