* Re: highlight problems on xml export [hacky workaround included]
@ 2011-11-05 15:13             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-11-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Marco Pessotto wrote:

> So, my impression is that for exporting the modal compilation is not an
> option.

So far, that has been my impression as well. I need a lot of tweaks to get
the right XML output (and I also need (multiple) PDF output). I have set a
separate mode for XML export, and use something equivalent to

    context --mode=screen --result=s-filename filename

to get a screen version of the document,

    context --mode=handout --result=h-filename filename

to get a handout version of the document, and

    context --mode=export filename

to get an xml version.

> Is there a way to set the paper width to infinity? (Even if,
> speaking about impression, I believe the 4 meters are enough for
> the average usage).

TeX does finite precision arithematics, so infinity is not possible. But
you can set paper width (and paper height) to \maxdimen, which is the
maximum dimension TeX can handle.

\definepapersize[max][paperwidth=\maxdimen, paperheight=\maxdimen]
\setuppapersize[max]

Aditya

* Missing <break/> while exporting to xml before <highlight>
@ 2011-11-06 13:54 Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-11-06 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

See the following minimal example:

%%% start example

\setupbackend[export=yes]

\definehighlight[emph][style=italic]

\starttext

Hey, hello!

\emph{Hello world!}

\stoptext

%%% stop example

And the output is:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

<!-- input filename   : prova             -->
<!-- processing date  : Sun Nov  6 14:50:01 2011 -->
<!-- context version  : 2011.11.04 14:15  -->
<!-- exporter version : 0.30              -->

<document language="en" file="prova" date="Sun Nov  6 14:50:01 2011" context="2011.11.04 14:15" version="0.30" xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
Hey, hello!
<highlight detail="emph">Hello world!</highlight>
</document>

Best regards

--
Marco

* Re: Missing <break/> while exporting to xml before <highlight>
@ 2011-11-06 20:38 ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-11-06 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

The highlight seems to act strangely. In addition to the previous
report, I get an unwanted <break/>:

%%% start example
\setupbackend[export=yes]
\definehighlight[emph][style=italic]

\starttext

\section{test}

\emph{Hello} world!

\stoptext
%%% stop example

And the output is:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

<!-- input filename   : prova             -->
<!-- processing date  : Sun Nov  6 21:35:51 2011 -->
<!-- context version  : 2011.11.04 14:15  -->
<!-- exporter version : 0.30              -->

<document language="en" file="prova" date="Sun Nov  6 21:35:51 2011" context="2011.11.04 14:15" version="0.30" xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
  <section detail="section" location='aut:1'>
    <sectionnumber>1</sectionnumber>
    <sectiontitle>test</sectiontitle>
    <sectioncontent>
<highlight detail="emph">Hello</highlight>
      <break/>
world!
    </sectioncontent>
  </section>
</document>

Am I doing it wrong?

Best wishes

--

@ 2011-11-06 23:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-06 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-11-2011 21:38, Marco Pessotto wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The highlight seems to act strangely. In addition to the previous
> report, I get an unwanted<break/>:
>
> %%% start example
> \setupbackend[export=yes]
> \definehighlight[emph][style=italic]
>
> \starttext
>
> \section{test}
>
> \emph{Hello} world!
>
> \stoptext
> %%% stop example

It has to do with the way grouping interferes with the start of a paragraph

\dontleavehmode \emph ...

I'll make highlights horizontal by default

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-11-07  7:53     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-11-07  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> On 6-11-2011 21:38, Marco Pessotto wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> The highlight seems to act strangely. In addition to the previous
>> report, I get an unwanted<break/>:
>>
>> %%% start example
>> \setupbackend[export=yes]
>> \definehighlight[emph][style=italic]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \section{test}
>>
>> \emph{Hello} world!
>>
>> \stoptext
>> %%% stop example
>
> It has to do with the way grouping interferes with the start of a paragraph
>
> \dontleavehmode \emph ...
>
> I'll make highlights horizontal by default

It works, thanks a bunch. The previous missing <break/> seems to be
fixed wrapping the paragraph with \startparagraph \stopparagraph. I
assume this is the right thing to do for a proper export, isn't it?

Btw, is there a way to run context just for the xml output (as I'm doing
conditional runs, and I discard the pdf which comes with the xml as a
side effect). context --help doesn't seem to have an option for
that. Well, not so important, just asking.

Thanks again

Best wishes

--

@ 2011-11-07  8:13       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-07  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-11-2011 08:53, Marco wrote:
> Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  writes:
>
>> On 6-11-2011 21:38, Marco Pessotto wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The highlight seems to act strangely. In addition to the previous
>>> report, I get an unwanted<break/>:
>>>
>>> %%% start example
>>> \setupbackend[export=yes]
>>> \definehighlight[emph][style=italic]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \section{test}
>>>
>>> \emph{Hello} world!
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>> %%% stop example
>>
>> It has to do with the way grouping interferes with the start of a paragraph
>>
>> \dontleavehmode \emph ...
>>
>> I'll make highlights horizontal by default
>
> It works, thanks a bunch. The previous missing<break/>  seems to be
> fixed wrapping the paragraph with \startparagraph \stopparagraph. I
> assume this is the right thing to do for a proper export, isn't it?

Indeed. On and off I'm trying to make the automatic recognition more
clever but too much guessing is bad too.

> Btw, is there a way to run context just for the xml output (as I'm doing
> conditional runs, and I discard the pdf which comes with the xml as a
> side effect). context --help doesn't seem to have an option for
> that. Well, not so important, just asking.

Currently not. It would also complicate matters as we need to flush some
information in the pdf backend that is needed in following passes.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: highlight problems on xml export (Was: Missing <break/> while exporting to xml before <highlight>)
@ 2011-11-07  8:35         ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-11-07  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I think I'm hitting another bug with highlights:

See this following example:

%%% start example

\setupbackend[export=yes]
\definehighlight[emph][style=italic]

\starttext

\startparagraph

Published on \dontleavehmode\emph{Dissonanze} vol. I

\stopparagraph

\startparagraph

Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on \dontleavehmode\emph{Dissonanze} vol. I

\stopparagraph

\stoptext

%%% stop example

Output:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

<!-- input filename   : prova             -->
<!-- processing date  : Mon Nov  7 09:32:00 2011 -->
<!-- context version  : 2011.11.04 14:15  -->
<!-- exporter version : 0.30              -->

<document language="en" file="prova" date="Mon Nov  7 09:32:00 2011" context="2011.11.04 14:15" version="0.30" xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
</document>

As you can see, in the first case the space after "Dissonanze" is
preserved, while in the second paragraph the space is eaten and there's
no way to add it. The only thing that changes is the lenght of the paragraph.

(Oh, and thanks for the previous reply).

Best wishes

--
Marco

* Re: highlight problems on xml export [hacky workaround included]
@ 2011-11-07 16:48           ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-11-07 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Well, after some trial and errors, I think I get what is going on with
the highlight. When on the generated pdf the </highlight> is at the edge
of the paper, the space is eaten. Hacky workaround follows:

%% start example
\setupbackend[export=yes]
\definehighlight[emph][style=italic]

\startmode[huge]
\definepapersize[huge][width=4000mm]
\setuppapersize[huge][huge]
\setupbodyfont[8pt]
\stopmode

\starttext

\startparagraph

Published on \dontleavehmode\emph{Dissonanze} vol. I

\stopparagraph

\startparagraph

Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on \dontleavehmode\emph{Dissonanze} vol. I

\stopparagraph

\startparagraph

Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on blablabla \dontleavehmode\emph{Dissonanze} vol. I

\stopparagraph

\stoptext
%%% stop example

Compiled with context prova.tex, the space is eaten on the second
paragraph. See produced pdf.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

<!-- input filename   : prova             -->
<!-- processing date  : Mon Nov  7 17:43:10 2011 -->

<document language="en" file="prova" date="Mon Nov  7 17:43:10 2011" context="2011.11.04 14:15" version="0.30" xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
  <paragraph>Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on vol. I Published on blablabla
</document>

With `context --mode=huge prova.tex` everything is fine (As the paper is
4 meters long on 8pt!)

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

<!-- input filename   : prova             -->
<!-- processing date  : Mon Nov  7 17:44:02 2011 -->
<!-- context version  : 2011.11.04 14:15  -->
<!-- exporter version : 0.30              -->

<document language="en" file="prova" date="Mon Nov  7 17:44:02 2011" context="2011.11.04 14:15" version="0.30" xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
</document>

So, my impression is that for exporting the modal compilation is not an
option. Is there a way to set the paper width to infinity? (Even if,

@ 2011-11-07 17:07               ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-11-07 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> writes:

> TeX does finite precision arithematics, so infinity is not
> possible. But you can set paper width (and paper height) to \maxdimen,
> which is the maximum dimension TeX can handle.
>
> \definepapersize[max][paperwidth=\maxdimen, paperheight=\maxdimen]
> \setuppapersize[max]

Thanks!

--
Marco

* Re: highlight problems on xml export [hacky workaround included]
@ 2011-11-07 17:49             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-07 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-11-2011 17:48, Marco Pessotto wrote:

> Well, after some trial and errors, I think I get what is going on with
> the highlight. When on the generated pdf the</highlight>  is at the edge
> of the paper, the space is eaten. Hacky workaround follows:

i rewrote some of the 'heuristics' so best test the next beta

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-11-07 18:02               ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-11-07 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> On 7-11-2011 17:48, Marco Pessotto wrote:
>>
>> Well, after some trial and errors, I think I get what is going on with
>> the highlight. When on the generated pdf the</highlight>  is at the edge
>> of the paper, the space is eaten. Hacky workaround follows:
>
> i rewrote some of the 'heuristics' so best test the next beta

I will for sure. Looking forward to the beta.

Thanks

Best wishes

--
Marco

* Re: highlight problems on xml export
@ 2011-11-08 16:04               ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-11-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> On 7-11-2011 17:48, Marco Pessotto wrote:
>>
>> Well, after some trial and errors, I think I get what is going on with
>> the highlight. When on the generated pdf the</highlight>  is at the edge
>> of the paper, the space is eaten. Hacky workaround follows:
>
> i rewrote some of the 'heuristics' so best test the next beta

In my testing the latest beta (2011.11.08 15:20) works well, and it
fixes some other problems (random <break/>, space eaten before
<highlight> which I noticed only now diff'ing the output and which my
infamous hacky workaround didn't fix).

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes

--