* feature request
@ 2011-11-11 15:34 Steffen Wolfrum
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-11-11 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.

I assume it is not trivial due to catcode issues, to say the least.
But nevertheless, as it is getting close to christmas, I just wanted to mention this idea here.

Thanks,
Steffen

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-11 15:53 ` Andreas Harder
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-11-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11.11.2011, at 16:34, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
> Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.

Isn't there already \comment{…}?

\starttext
test \comment{comment} test
\stoptext

Andreas

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-11 15:57   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.11.2011 um 16:53 schrieb Andreas Harder:

> On 11.11.2011, at 16:34, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
>> Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.
>
> Isn't there already \comment{…}?
>
> \starttext
> test \comment{comment} test
> \stoptext

The \comment command can be used to add PDF comments to your document, IIRC it’s documented in the widgets manual.

Wolfgang

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-11 16:01 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-11 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.11.2011 um 16:34 schrieb Steffen Wolfrum:

> Hi Hans,
>
> quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
> Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.
>
> I assume it is not trivial due to catcode issues, to say the least.
> But nevertheless, as it is getting close to christmas, I just wanted to mention this idea here.

\usemodule[annotation]

\defineannotation[hide][alternative=none]

\starttext
Something like \hide{This is my comment!} this.
\stoptext

A simple definition of the hide which doesn’t require the annotation module is:

\define[1]\hide{\removeunwantedspaces}

Wolfgang

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-11 18:47 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-11 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:34:28 -0700, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

> quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
> Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.

I think the mechanism for fancy in-line comments is already there,
developed one-or-two years ago as we were working on some
critical-edition-related stuff ...

I saw the other answers: Could you elaborate more about exactly what
you're looking for, just in case their suggestions don't quite hit the
spot?

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shiʿi Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-13 10:55   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-11-13 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد

Hi Idris,

Am 11.11.2011 um 19:47 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:34:28 -0700, Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:
>
>> quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
>> Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.
>
> I think the mechanism for fancy in-line comments is already there, developed one-or-two years ago as we were working on some critical-edition-related stuff ...
>
> I saw the other answers: Could you elaborate more about exactly what you're looking for, just in case their suggestions don't quite hit the spot?

I am looking for the same functionality as the traditional TeX comment (starting with %), but used in-line not only after a paragraph.

This means, it is only meant for writing/reading comments in the source.
And its presence must not affect the typeset file, eg. the resulting PDF, in any respect, of course!

Is the mechanism you mention best suited for that purpose?

Steffen

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-13 21:33     ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2011-11-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13.11.2011 11:55, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> I am looking for the same functionality as the traditional TeX comment (starting with %), but used in-line not only after a paragraph.

That sounds a bit strange, because a paragraph doesn't end with a line
break. That's how I usually do my comments too; just add a comment and
continue after the line break with the content/sentence/paragraph:

-----8<----------------
This is %some comment
an example.
----->8----------------

... will end up as: "This is an example."

--
Best Regards,
Andreas Schneider

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-14  7:57       ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-11-14  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.11.2011 um 22:33 schrieb Andreas Schneider:

> On 13.11.2011 11:55, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for the same functionality as the traditional TeX comment (starting with %), but used in-line not only after a paragraph.
>
> That sounds a bit strange, because a paragraph doesn't end with a line break. That's how I usually do my comments too; just add a comment and continue after the line break with the content/sentence/paragraph:
>
> -----8<----------------
> This is %some comment
> an example.
> ----->8----------------
>
> ... will end up as: "This is an example."

maybe "paragraph" was the wrong word (even though in your example between "comment" and "an" there is a pilcrow too, which is commonly used to denote individual paragraphs).

that's what I meant: a true in-line comment ... without a line-break, parapgraph-break, pilcrow for ending the comment:

@ 2011-11-14  8:07         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-14  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-11-2011 08:57, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Am 13.11.2011 um 22:33 schrieb Andreas Schneider:
>
>> On 13.11.2011 11:55, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>>
>>> I am looking for the same functionality as the traditional TeX comment (starting with %), but used in-line not only after a paragraph.
>>
>> That sounds a bit strange, because a paragraph doesn't end with a line break. That's how I usually do my comments too; just add a comment and continue after the line break with the content/sentence/paragraph:
>>
>> -----8<----------------
>> This is %some comment
>> an example.
>> ----->8----------------
>>
>> ... will end up as: "This is an example."
>

> maybe "paragraph" was the wrong word (even though in your example between "comment" and "an" there is a pilcrow too, which is commonly used to denote individual paragraphs).
>
> that's what I meant: a true in-line comment ... without a line-break, parapgraph-break, pilcrow for ending the comment:
>
> This is ¿some comment¡ an example.

and next one would want:

This is ¿some
comment¡ an example.

and

\startchapter[title={This is ¿some comment¡ an example.}]

and ... so it's asking for a mess.

Just use a command as Wolfgang mentioned.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: feature request
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-14  8:47 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-11-14  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
> Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.
>
> I assume it is not trivial due to catcode issues, to say the least.
> But nevertheless, as it is getting close to christmas, I just wanted to mention this idea here.

As long as there is no line break in the comment, the following lua based
solution works (inspired by m-translate)

\startluacode
   local comments = {}
   thirddata = thirddata or {}

   thirddata.comments = comments

   function comments.translate(s)
       return string.gsub(s, "¿.-¡","")
   end

   local textlineactions = resolvers.openers.helpers.textlineactions
   utilities.sequencers.appendaction(textlineactions,"after","thirddata.comments.translate")

   function comments.enable()
     utilities.sequencers.enableaction(textlineactions,"thirddata.comments.translate")
   end

   function comments.disable()
     utilities.sequencers.disableaction(textlineactions,"thirddata.comments.translate")
   end

   comments.disable()
\stopluacode

\def\enablecomments {\ctxlua{thirddata.comments.enable()}}
\def\disablecomments{\ctxlua{thirddata.comments.disable()}}

\appendtoks
   \enablecomments
   \to \everystarttext

\starttext
\section{An ¿in \iffalse comment¡ works}
Multiple ¿in \iffalse comment¡ with something  ¿in \iffalse comment¡ in betweeen
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-14  9:22           ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-11-14  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.11.2011 um 09:07 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 14-11-2011 08:57, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

>>> That sounds a bit strange, because a paragraph doesn't end with a line break. That's how I usually do my comments too; just add a comment and continue after the line break with the content/sentence/paragraph:
>>>
>>> -----8<----------------
>>> This is %some comment
>>> an example.
>>> ----->8----------------
>>>
>>> ... will end up as: "This is an example."
>>

>> maybe "paragraph" was the wrong word (even though in your example between "comment" and "an" there is a pilcrow too, which is commonly used to denote individual paragraphs).
>>
>> that's what I meant: a true in-line comment ... without a line-break, parapgraph-break, pilcrow for ending the comment:
>>
>> This is ¿some comment¡ an example.
>
> and next one would want:
>
> This is ¿some
> comment¡ an example.
>
> and
>
> \startchapter[title={This is ¿some comment¡ an example.}]

of course! how did you know that :o)

> and ... so it's asking for a mess.
>
> Just use a command as Wolfgang mentioned.

yes, that what I thought right away too.
for the sake of completeness, I just wanted to answer Idris question and wait what he thinks.

Thanks to all,
Steffen

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-14 14:03   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-11-2011 09:47, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
>> quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
>> Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.
>>
>> I assume it is not trivial due to catcode issues, to say the least.
>> But nevertheless, as it is getting close to christmas, I just wanted
>> to mention this idea here.
>
> As long as there is no line break in the comment, the following lua
> based solution works (inspired by m-translate)
>
> \startluacode
> local comments = {}
> thirddata = thirddata or {}
>
> thirddata.comments = comments
>
> function comments.translate(s)
> return string.gsub(s, "¿.-¡","")
> end
>
> local textlineactions = resolvers.openers.helpers.textlineactions
> utilities.sequencers.appendaction(textlineactions,"after","thirddata.comments.translate")
>

> function comments.enable()
> utilities.sequencers.enableaction(textlineactions,"thirddata.comments.translate")
>
> end
>
> function comments.disable()
> utilities.sequencers.disableaction(textlineactions,"thirddata.comments.translate")
>
> end
>
> comments.disable()
> \stopluacode
>
> \def\enablecomments {\ctxlua{thirddata.comments.enable()}}
> \def\disablecomments{\ctxlua{thirddata.comments.disable()}}
>
> \appendtoks
> \enablecomments
> \to \everystarttext
>
> \starttext
> \section{An ¿in \iffalse comment¡ works}
> Multiple ¿in \iffalse comment¡ with something ¿in \iffalse comment¡ in
> betweeen
> \stoptext

or ...

\startluacode

     thirddata          = thirddata or { }
     local comments     = { filters = { } }
     thirddata.comments = comments

     local textlineactions = resolvers.openers.helpers.textlineactions
     local sequencers      = utilities.sequencers
     local constants       = interfaces.constants

     local gsub, find, format = string.gsub, string.find, string.format

     function comments.install(name,settings)
         local settings = utilities.parsers.settings_to_hash(settings)
         local start = string.escapedpattern(settings[constants.start]
or "")
         local stop = string.escapedpattern(settings[constants.stop] or "")
         if start ~= "" and stop ~= "" then
             local pattern = start .. ".-" .. stop
             comments.filters[name] = function(s)
                 if s == "" then
                     return ""
                 elseif find(s,start) then
                     return (gsub(s,pattern,""))
                 else
                     return s
                 end
             end

sequencers.appendaction(textlineactions,"after",format("thirddata.comments.filters.%s",name))
             comments.disable(name)
         end
     end

     function comments.enable(name)

sequencers.enableaction(textlineactions,format("thirddata.comments.filters.%s",name))
     end

     function comments.disable(name)

sequencers.disableaction(textlineactions,format("thirddata.comments.filters.%s",name))
     end

\stopluacode

\unprotect

\unexpanded\def\installcomments{\dodoubleargument\doinstallcomments}

\def\doinstallcomments[#1][#2]%

{\ctxlua{thirddata.comments.install(\!!bs#1\!!es,\!!bs\detokenize{#2}\!!es)}}

\unexpanded\def\enablecomments[#1]%
   {\ctxlua{thirddata.comments.enable (\!!bs#1\!!es)}}

\unexpanded\def\disablecomments[#1]%
   {\ctxlua{thirddata.comments.disable(\!!bs#1\!!es)}}

\protect

\installcomments[test] [start=¿,stop=¡]
\installcomments[test2][start=¡,stop=¿]

\enablecomments[test]
\enablecomments[test2]

\starttext

\section{An ¿in \iffalse comment¡ works}
Multiple ¿in \iffalse comment¡ with something  ¿in \iffalse comment¡ in
betweeen

oeps ¿oeps¡ oeps ¡oeps¿ oeps

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-14 18:38             ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 02:22:17 -0700, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

>  I just wanted to answer Idris question and wait what he thinks.

Your request is a bit different from what I had in mind ...

OTOH, why not just use

bla bla \message{Here is a note to myself.} bla bla

It'll show up in the log file, but who cares?

:-)

@ 2011-11-15  3:35     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-11-15  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 14-11-2011 09:47, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>  On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>
>> >  quite often I wish we could have a kind of in line comment:
>> >  Something like ¿this is my comment¡ this.
>> >
>> >  I assume it is not trivial due to catcode issues, to say the least.
>> >  But nevertheless, as it is getting close to christmas, I just wanted
>> >  to mention this idea here.
>>
>>  As long as there is no line break in the comment, the following lua
>>  based solution works (inspired by m-translate)
>>
> or ...

Why not go all the way with full multiline comments then? See attached.

Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: Type: TEXT/x-tex; name=comment.tex, Size: 3106 bytes --]

\startluacode
     thirddata          = thirddata or { }
     local comments     = { filters = { } }
     thirddata.comments = comments

     local textlineactions = resolvers.openers.helpers.textlineactions
     local sequencers      = utilities.sequencers
     local constants       = interfaces.constants

     local gsub, find, format = string.gsub, string.find, string.format

     function comments.install(name,settings)
         local settings = utilities.parsers.settings_to_hash(settings)
         local start = string.escapedpattern(settings[constants.start] or "")
         local stop  = string.escapedpattern(settings[constants.stop] or "")
         local any   = ".-"
         if start ~= "" and stop ~= "" then
            local strip_inline = function(s) return gsub(s, start .. any .. stop, "", 1) end
            local strip_start  = function(s) return gsub(s, start .. any,         "", 1) end
            local strip_stop   = function(s) return gsub(s, "^"   .. any .. stop, "", 1) end
            local insideComment = false
            comments.filters[name] = function(s)
                local filter = comments.filters[name]
                if s == "" then
                    return s
                elseif insideComment then
                    if find(s,stop) then
                        insideComment = false
                        return filter(strip_stop(s))
                    else
                        return ""
                    end
                elseif find(s,start) then
                    if find(s, stop) then
                        return filter(strip_inline(s))
                    else
                        insideComment = true
                        return strip_start(s)
[...]

\section{Test of /*inline*/ comments}
/* Test for multiline comments
 * to see if they work
 */

Another test for /* inline comments */ with multiple /* commented lines
that span /* false nested comments as well */ to see if it works

\stoptext

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-15  5:43       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-11-15  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> >   As long as there is no line break in the comment, the following lua
>> >   based solution works (inspired by m-translate)
>> >
>>  or ...
>>

> Why not go all the way with full multiline comments then? See attached.

Here is a slightly cleanup version that handles multiline comments better

https://github.com/adityam/context-comments/blob/master/t-comments.mkvi

But this will only work if % has its usual catcode. I don't know how to
get around that limitation.

Aditya

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-15  8:56         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-15  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15-11-2011 06:43, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Here is a slightly cleanup version that handles multiline comments better
>
> https://github.com/adityam/context-comments/blob/master/t-comments.mkvi

  if find(s,stop) then
    insideComment = false
    return cleaned_line .. currentfilter(strip_to_stop(s))
  else

as find returns a position, you can do things like this:

local stop = find(s,stop)
if stop then
  return cleaned_line .. sub(s,stop+#stop,#s)

(ok, you need to know the real unescaped length of stop)

> But this will only work if % has its usual catcode. I don't know how to
> get around that limitation.

for multiline we can plug into the texthandler instead, but it's not
worth the trouble and the line based one permits selective enable/disable

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-15 22:03               ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-15 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:38:42 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> OTOH, why not just use
>  bla bla \message{Here is a note to myself.} bla bla

Just curious: Is there anything that \message is missing for what u want?
I tried both inline and multiline combos and they all work like a charm:

==========
\starttext
Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in
proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here
is some text.

Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in
proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here
is some text.

Here is some text.
\message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the
degree of participation in Consciousness involved.}
Here is some text.

Here is some text.
\message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the
degree of
  participation in Consciousness involved.}
Here is some text.
\stoptext
==========

As a feature, I suppose all that's needed -- for the paranoid, maybe
you're writing a letter to your boss with hidden curses ;-) -- is the
option to suppress the showing of the text on the console/log. Although
it's in the source anyway ... For ¿ and ¡ probably some simple catcode
trickery will \let you define them as you like.

So I'm curious: How can we define

¿ = \message{
¡ = } % this one is of course trivial, but for completeness...

Since you brought this up, I've actually started using \message more (and
no, not for cursing my boss!)

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[-- Attachment #2: message.tex --]

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-15 22:11                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-15 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.11.2011 um 23:03 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:38:42 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, why not just use
>> bla bla \message{Here is a note to myself.} bla bla
>
> Just curious: Is there anything that \message is missing for what u want? I tried both inline and multiline combos and they all work like a charm:

When you use \gobbleoneargument you can omit the output in the log.

> ==========
> \starttext
> Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here is some text.
>
> Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in
> proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here is some text.
>
> Here is some text.
> \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.}
> Here is some text.
>
> Here is some text.
> \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the degree of
> participation in Consciousness involved.}
> Here is some text.
> \stoptext
> ==========

You see that there are now two spaces between your sentences, compare the following two sentences:

\starttext

text \message{hidden} text

text\message{hidden} text

\stoptext

To avoid this I added \removeunwantedspaces to my \hide command.

Wolfgang

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-15 22:28                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-11-15 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:38:42 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد
> <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, why not just use
>> bla bla \message{Here is a note to myself.} bla bla
>
> Just curious: Is there anything that \message is missing for what u want? I
> tried both inline and multiline combos and they all work like a charm:

Untested, but I am pretty sure

\message{\iffalse}

will fail. Basically, everything inside \message (or the \hide macro by
Wolfgang) needs to be processed by TeX, so strictly speaking it is not
equivalent to a comment.

See the TeX FAQ http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=conditional
for more details.

The most robust solution is to use buffers, but that will not work if the
buffer is part of a macro argument.

The luatex solution (which is again not perfect) that I posted removes
everything inside the comment before it is seeen by TeX.

Aditya

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-11-15 22:47                   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-15 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Aditya, Wolfgang,

:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:28:24 -0700, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
wrote:

> Untested, but I am pretty sure
>
> \message{\iffalse}
>
> will fail. Basically, everything inside \message (or the \hide macro by
> Wolfgang) needs to be processed by TeX, so strictly speaking it is not
> equivalent to a comment.
>
> See the TeX FAQ
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=conditional
> for more details.
>
> The most robust solution is to use buffers, but that will not work if the
> buffer is part of a macro argument.
>
> The luatex solution (which is again not perfect) that I posted removes
> everything inside the comment before it is seeen by TeX.

Thank you both for your insightful answers. I appreciate it!

@ 2019-07-05 23:44         ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-05 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

> 1) when new to Context, coming from LaTeX and learning a new system;
> One gets over the first case rather quickly and then there is no
> going back: the philosophies are so different.

Hmm, I'll make an effort to be a LaTeX user and also ConTeXt user.

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

2019年7月5日(金) 0:56 Alan Braslau <braslau.list@comcast.net>:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 11:16:22 -0400 (EDT)
> Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > > BTW, I constantly convert Beamer documents into ConTeXt's
> > > simpleslide documents recently and it is very convenient
> > > if I can use \pmatrix{a&b\cr c&d\cr} style because it is similar
> > > to LaTeX documents.
> >
> > You can create a private module with the definitions that you need.
> > If these are general enough, then you can also release it as a third
> > party module for others to use. I don't see the value of adding (and
> > maintaining!) a module that provides LaTeX compatibility as part of
> > the core.
>
> LaTeX compatibility is desired (by some)
> 1) when new to Context, coming from LaTeX and learning a new system;
> 2) for ConTeXt users who are *required* to sometimes use LaTeX,
>    for example in submissions to journals etc. that accept LaTeX but
>    cannot handle Context sources.
>
> One gets over the first case rather quickly and then there is no
> going back: the philosophies are so different.
>
> In the second case, I restrict myself to a strict use of the journal's
> own template (for example with revtex), never asking for anything more
> nor anything less.
>
> In a third situation of editors who give lip service to accepting TeX
> submissions, I give them plain text for they are going to re-key in
> everything in any case. I provide them with a pdf that they can use
> to correct their markup.
>
> Alan

* Re: feature request
@ 2019-07-05 23:35       ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

> You can create a private module with the definitions that you need. If
> these are general enough, then you can also release it as a third party
> module for others to use. I don't see the value of adding (and
> maintaining!) a module that provides LaTeX compatibility as part of the
> core.

I began to learn ConTeXt since april and begin to write real
ConTeXt documents (mostly presentations) since june.
Please don't ask me too much.

My main request is not to provide LaTeX compatibility but
to provide not only one command of matrix but full set of commands
for various kind of matrices if possible.
Personally, it is true that I think LaTeX compatibility is useful
but it is not main issue.

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

2019年7月5日(金) 0:18 Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 2019, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
>
> > Hi Henri,
> > Thanks for your suggestions, they are very instructive.
> > However, my request is not a smart way of displaying matrices
> > but to know why \bmatrix and \vmatrix are not provided
> > in core part of ConTeXt although \pmatrix is provided already
> > in math-pln.mkiv
>
> Henri has already answered this.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > One might say ConTeXt is flexible but I've an impression
> > that ConTeXt is in a state of confusion/disorder.
> >
> > I think it is better if a standard command is provided
> > by core ConTeXt or by a module etc.
> >
> > Or is it ConTeXt way that each user defines his/her own commands
> > in setup area and uses them in text area?
> > I'm afraid consistency and/or portability is lost in such scenario.
>
> Let me provide an alternative point of view. The commands that you are
> suggesting are encode the _visual_ meaning: pmatrix is a matrix with
> parenthesis, bmatrix is a matrix with brackets, vmatrix is a matrix with
> vertical bars, and so on. One could also use _semantic_ commands: in my
> documents, I define a command called MATRIX for typesetting matrices, and
> DET for determinant of a matrix. So, I simply type
>
> \MATRIX{1, 2; 5, 6} and \DET{1, 2; 5, 6}, etc.
>
> Now, depending on the audience, I sometimes map \MATRIX to pmatrix and
> sometimes to bmatrix. I can simply copy paste the code without worrying
> about notation.
>
> If you take this view, then the predefined matrix:parentheses,
> matrix:brackets, and matrix:bars are sufficient.
>
> > BTW, I constantly convert Beamer documents into ConTeXt's
> > simpleslide documents recently and it is very convenient
> > if I can use \pmatrix{a&b\cr c&d\cr} style because it is similar
> > to LaTeX documents.
>
> You can create a private module with the definitions that you need. If
> these are general enough, then you can also release it as a third party
> module for others to use. I don't see the value of adding (and
> maintaining!) a module that provides LaTeX compatibility as part of the
> core.
>
> Aditya

* Re: feature request
@ 2019-07-05 23:31       ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-05 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Henri,
Thanks for your kind explanation.
Generally I understand your point and the ConTeXt philosophy.

> bmatrix, vmatrix, etc. are not defined by default, but
> as you saw from my last message it is trivial to define these,
> especially because templates (matrix:parentheses, etc.)
> for them already exist in the core.

If it is trivial to define bmatrix etc., then I think
it is not bad to provide them in ConTeXt itself but
it seems it violates the ConTeXt philosophy.
I feel it is too strict or too formalism, but this is
only my, very novice user's, naive impression.

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

PS. I'm a Japanese and it takes a bit long time to write
an idea in English.  Sorry for delay.

2019年7月4日(木) 14:48 Henri Menke <henrimenke@gmail.com>:

> The existing definition of \pmatrix in math-pln.mkiv is the original
> Plain TeX definition, because in the very early days ConTeXt used to be
> compatible with Plain.  This tradition has prevailed until today.  You
> will find other remnants of Plain TeX in ConTeXt, e.g. \eqalign, but it
> is better not to use them.
>
> Just like Plain TeX, ConTeXt does not provide \bmatrix and \vmatrix.
> One reason is that they didn't exist in Plain, but another important
> reason is that Hans is not a mathematician.  If I remember correctly
> ConTeXt was originally developed for typesetting of primary school
> textbooks and last I checked matrix algebra was not part of the
> curriculum.
>
> Other developers (Alan, Aditya, and others) have contributed math
> typesetting macros over time, but these follow the ConTeXt philosophy of
> providing strong defaults but trying to avoid feature creep.  Therefore
> bmatrix, vmatrix, etc. are not defined by default, but as you saw from
> my last message it is trivial to define these, especially because
> templates (matrix:parentheses, etc.) for them already exist in the core.
>
> It would sometimes be nice if you could just copy and paste LaTeX code
> into a ConTeXt document and it just works™, but after all ConTeXt is not
> LaTeX.
>
> Cheers, Henri

* Re: feature request
@ 2019-07-04 15:54       ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-07-04 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-07-04 15:16     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-07-04 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-07-04  5:48     ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-07-04  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/07/19 5:18 PM, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> [...]
>> too.
>>> So I'm very sorry if the following is well-known issue.
>>>
>>> I find an example of \pmatrix in p.21 of "ConTeXt Mark IV an excursion"
>>> (ma-cb-en.pdf).  And I notice it is defined in
>>> /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/math-pln.mkiv (in Debian).
>>> But it seems \bmatrix, \vmatrix are not defined yet.
>>> Is there any reason why they are not defined?
>>> Similar commands or environments \begin{bmatrix}...\end{bmatrix},
>>> \begin{vmatrix}...\end{vmatrix} are very often used in mathematical
>>> LaTeX documents.
>>> It is very useful if we can use \bmatrix and \vmatrix in ConTeXt
>>> documents, so please add
>>> \unexpanded\def\bmatrix#1%
>>>   {\left[\matrix{#1}\right]}
>>> \unexpanded\def\vmatrix#1%
>>>   {\left|\matrix{#1}\right|}
>>> in math-pln.mkiv or somewhere.
>>
>> Ignore my other message, this is even better:
>>
>> \definemathmatrix
>>   [pmatrix]
>>   [matrix:parentheses]
>>   [simplecommand=pmatrix]
>>
>> \definemathmatrix
>>   [bmatrix]
>>   [matrix:brackets]
>>   [simplecommand=bmatrix]
>>
>> \definemathmatrix
>>   [vmatrix]
>>   [matrix:bars]
>>   [simplecommand=vmatrix]
>>
>> \definemathmatrix
>>   [Vmatrix]
>>   [left={\left\lVert\mskip\thinmuskip},
>>    right={\mskip\thinmuskip\right\rVert},
>>    align=middle,
>>    simplecommand=Vmatrix]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startformula
>>     \startpmatrix
>>         \NC A \NC B \NR
>>         \NC C \NC D \NR
>>     \stoppmatrix
>>     \quad
>>     \startbmatrix
>>         \NC A \NC B \NR
>>         \NC C \NC D \NR
>>     \stopbmatrix
>>     \quad
>>     \startvmatrix
>>         \NC A \NC B \NR
>>         \NC C \NC D \NR
>>     \stopvmatrix
>>     \quad
>>     \startVmatrix
>>         \NC A \NC B \NR
>>         \NC C \NC D \NR
>>     \stopVmatrix
>> \stopformula
>>
>> \startformula
>>     \pmatrix{A, B; C, D}
>>     \quad
>>     \bmatrix{A, B; C, D}
>>     \quad
>>     \vmatrix{A, B; C, D}
>>     \quad
>>     \Vmatrix{A, B; C, D}
>> \stopformula
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

>>> By the way, I think it is critical to set
>>> \setupmathematics[ampersand=normal]
>>> to use \matrix above but I can't find this setting in ma-cb-en.pdf
>>> It is great if this is added in  ma-cb-en.pdf

* Re: feature request
@ 2019-07-04  5:18   ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-04  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-07-03  6:42 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-07-03  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2019-07-03  6:35 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-07-03  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/07/19 6:00 PM, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> I've used LaTeX quite a long time but recently I begin to use ConTeXt too.
> So I'm very sorry if the following is well-known issue.
>
> I find an example of \pmatrix in p.21 of "ConTeXt Mark IV an excursion"
> (ma-cb-en.pdf).  And I notice it is defined in
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/math-pln.mkiv (in Debian).
> But it seems \bmatrix, \vmatrix are not defined yet.
> Is there any reason why they are not defined?
> Similar commands or environments \begin{bmatrix}...\end{bmatrix},
> \begin{vmatrix}...\end{vmatrix} are very often used in mathematical
> LaTeX documents.
> It is very useful if we can use \bmatrix and \vmatrix in ConTeXt
> documents, so please add
> \unexpanded\def\bmatrix#1%
>   {\left[\matrix{#1}\right]}
> \unexpanded\def\vmatrix#1%
>   {\left|\matrix{#1}\right|}
> in math-pln.mkiv or somewhere.

\definemathmatrix
  [pmatrix]
  [left={\left(},right={\right)}]

\definemathmatrix
  [bmatrix]
  [left={\left[},right={\right]}]

\definemathmatrix
  [vmatrix]
  [left={\left\lvert},right={\right\rvert}]

\definemathmatrix
  [Vmatrix]
  [left={\left\lVert},right={\right\rVert}]

\starttext

\startformula
    \startpmatrix
        \NC A \NC B \NR
        \NC C \NC D \NR
    \stoppmatrix
    \quad
    \startbmatrix
        \NC A \NC B \NR
        \NC C \NC D \NR
    \stopbmatrix
    \quad
    \startvmatrix
        \NC A \NC B \NR
        \NC C \NC D \NR
    \stopvmatrix
    \quad
    \startVmatrix
        \NC A \NC B \NR
        \NC C \NC D \NR
    \stopVmatrix
\stopformula

\stoptext

> By the way, I think it is critical to set
> \setupmathematics[ampersand=normal]

This should not be necessary in general.  Just use \NC and \NR.

@ 2019-07-03  6:00 Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-03  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

* Re: Feature request.
@ 2007-07-06  8:09     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-06  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> > It would be neat if the texfont program, which generates so much
>> > else, could generate and install a typescript.
>>
>> For otfs you can use otfinstall. Search the wiki for it.

> Thanks for the heads up. Now why OTF and not type 1? There are still
> many more type 1 fonts out there compared to OTF fonts.

otfinstall ist just a wrapper around the great lcdf type tools. For
type1/truetype you can use rfil
(http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/rfil/).

Patrick

* Re: Feature request.
@ 2007-07-05 22:27   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-07-05 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 05 July 2007 17:37, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> > It would be neat if the texfont program, which generates so much
> > else, could generate and install a typescript.
>
> For otfs you can use otfinstall. Search the wiki for it.
>
> Patrick

Thanks for the heads up. Now why OTF and not type 1? There are still
many more type 1 fonts out there compared to OTF fonts.
--
John Culleton

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

* Re: Feature request.
@ 2007-07-05 21:37 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-05 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello John,

> It would be neat if the texfont program, which generates so much else,
> could generate and install a typescript.

For otfs you can use otfinstall. Search the wiki for it.

Patrick

* Feature request.
@ 2007-07-05 17:41 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-07-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

It would be neat if the texfont program, which generates so much else,
could generate and install a typescript.
--
John Culleton
ATTN Publishers/authors:
If you don't read you don't succeed.
Free short list of publishing/marketing books.

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

* Re: Feature request
@ 2005-07-27 22:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-27 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> so, if it's more or less doable ...   there is at least hope that we
> can expect this feature in the next time, right?

i played a bit with it; tricky stuff but we'll see

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Feature request
@ 2005-07-27  9:58 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-07-27  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-27  5:15     ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-07-27  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

>> for that, but it doesn't take the baseline into consideration, so it
>> has to be manually tuned for every line, every font & every font size
>> (printed and compared if it looks OK).
>>

> \definelayer[text][height=\textheight,width=\textwidth]
>
> \showgrid
>
> \starttext
>
> \startstandardmakeup
>
> \setlayer[text][location=grid,line=10]{test}
> \setlayer[text][location=grid,line=10,x=10cm]{test}
>
>    \flushlayer[text]
>
> \stopstandardmakeup

%% add this line
\stoptext % :-)

luigi

* Re: Feature request
@ 2005-07-26 22:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-26 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>for that, but it doesn't take the baseline into consideration, so it
>has to be manually tuned for every line, every font & every font size
>(printed and compared if it looks OK).

\definelayer[text][height=\textheight,width=\textwidth]

\showgrid

\starttext

\startstandardmakeup

\setlayer[text][location=grid,line=10]{test}
\setlayer[text][location=grid,line=10,x=10cm]{test}

    \flushlayer[text]

\stopstandardmakeup

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Feature request
@ 2005-07-26 22:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-26 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> But figure labels are needed (do they interfere?)

figure labels are part of the float

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Feature request
       [not found] <a06210200bf0958f2bc0f@87.193.3.198>
@ 2005-07-26 16:20 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-07-26 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it would be great if the \placefigure macro could be extended to
> combinations like

1.) This is not exactly the same thing, but if we're talking about
graphics: is it possible to include a figure (\externalfigure, perhaps
withing \placefigure) in such a way that it fills exactly the
remaining avalable space? factor=fit does almost exactly what I want,
but it doesn't consider the space already taken by the preceeding
text. If I wanted a figure to span over the whole presentation sheet,
than factor=fit usually resulted in a caption on one page and a
full-page figure on a new page. (I tuned the figure sizes manually,
but that is not the proper way.)

2.) This is also something else, but what's the best way to write on
pre-printed sheets of paper? Like honourable mentions and stuff like
that.
The lines are already given, so I would like the baseline (with name &
surname for example) to be 0.5 mm above the line printed on paper,
centered on that line (not necessary in the middle of the paper)

I use
\setupframed
	[align=middle,
	 frame=off]
\setlayerframed
	[page]
	[voffset=13.3cm,
	 preset=leftbottom]
	[width=\paperwidth]
	{\MainFont #1}

for that, but it doesn't take the baseline into consideration, so it
has to be manually tuned for every line, every font & every font size
(printed and compared if it looks OK).

Yet another (probably doable, but more difficult to implement)
request: there are for example five lines printed, with the distance
of 13 mm and the width 10 cm (not necessary centered on the page). I
would like to typeset a paragraph on them, so that the baseline of
this text would be about 0.5 mm above the lines.

I volunteer to write a MyWay if someone can help me with that.

Thank you,
    Mojca

* Re: Feature request
@ 2005-07-26 15:33 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-07-26 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-26 15:00 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-07-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>  Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > it would be great if the \placefigure macro could be extended to
>  > combinations like
>  >
>  > \placefigure{top,left}
>  >
>  > or
>  >
>  > \placefigure{bottom,outer}
>  >
>  >
>  > The reason for this request is that we use ConTeXt a lot for
>  > typesetting books from "arts and humanities".
>  >
>  > There we often have to place a lot of (more then 100) figures at
>  > "fixed" positions like top-outer and bottom-inner, wrapped by text.
>  >
>  > I guess it's not a trivial feature to be implemented in TeX's
>  > paragraph processing, but I know it might be worth the effort:
>  > ConTeXt's way to deal with fonts and text is so superior that it
>  > should be also accessible for disciplines that besides text also rely
>  > on images - as the arts and humanities do.
>
>  btw, do you know this trick?
>
>  \starttext
>
>  \hangsidefloat[2]
>  \placefigure[left][]{}{} \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf \par}
>
>  \stoptext

yes I know. you once told me (as for the first time I asked for this
feature two years ago...).

true, it's a nice trick. and I used it in smaller publications.
but it is not practicable with a lot of images (and this cases are
the regular ones, unfortunately).

typesetting with a lot of images wrapped by text is still a quite
problematic task in ConTeXt/TeX .

Steffen

(P.S. actually my motivation to move to ConTeXt years ago was the
hope that this image handling might be possible there. well, it
wasn't ... )

* Re: Feature request
@ 2005-07-26 14:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-26 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it would be great if the \placefigure macro could be extended to
> combinations like
>
> \placefigure{top,left}
>
> or
>
> \placefigure{bottom,outer}
>

> The reason for this request is that we use ConTeXt a lot for
> typesetting books from "arts and humanities".
>
> There we often have to place a lot of (more then 100) figures at
> "fixed" positions like top-outer and bottom-inner, wrapped by text.
>
> I guess it's not a trivial feature to be implemented in TeX's
> paragraph processing, but I know it might be worth the effort:
> ConTeXt's way to deal with fonts and text is so superior that it
> should be also accessible for disciplines that besides text also rely
> on images - as the arts and humanities do.

btw, do you know this trick?

\starttext

\hangsidefloat[2]
\placefigure[left][]{}{} \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf \par}

\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Feature request
@ 2005-07-26 14:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-26 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it would be great if the \placefigure macro could be extended to
> combinations like
>
> \placefigure{top,left}
>
> or
>
> \placefigure{bottom,outer}
>

> The reason for this request is that we use ConTeXt a lot for
> typesetting books from "arts and humanities".
>
> There we often have to place a lot of (more then 100) figures at
> "fixed" positions like top-outer and bottom-inner, wrapped by text.
>
> I guess it's not a trivial feature to be implemented in TeX's
> paragraph processing, but I know it might be worth the effort:
> ConTeXt's way to deal with fonts and text is so superior that it
> should be also accessible for disciplines that besides text also rely
> on images - as the arts and humanities do.

not trivial indeed, although it is more or less doable when you accept some limitations, e.g. if you have only text and graphics, use a grid,  and have no other tricky stuff that can interfere (display math or so)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Feature request