* Floating picture in margin with no interference with text/sections
@ 2011-11-16 14:18 Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2011-11-16 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I use mkiv which was installed today. Two questions.

1) Is it possible to put floating pictures in the margin without
locking them in the current section? See the following example:

%%% Start example
\setuplayout[
rightmargin=5cm,
width=fit,
]

%\setuphead[section][
%aligntitle=float,
%]

\starttext
\showframe
\section{This is a short section}
It contains one figure.
\placefigure[inright,top][none]{A caption.}{\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]}
\section{This is another short section}
It contains the same figure.
\placefigure[inright,top][none]{A
caption.}{\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm,height=6cm]}

\section{This is a third section}
\input knuth
\stoptext
%%% Stop example

The result is given by
http://tmp.oblandat.se/fig1.pdf
If I uncomment (what I thought was the solution) the \setuphead part I get
http://tmp.oblandat.se/fig2.pdf
which looks better, but not as I want it. I want the sections and the
text to look just as if there were no figures at all, and I want the
figures to be stacked in the margin, the first one at the top of the
margin, and the second one just below the first one. Is this possible?

2) If I really must not want a new page right after a section head
(this happens in my long document, but no minimal example is given),
is there any penalty or something i can set? This happens fairly often
with the standard setup, it seems.

Best regards, Mikael

* Re: Floating picture in margin with no interference with text/sections
@ 2011-11-23 16:20 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2011-11-23 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I use mkiv which was installed today. Two questions.
>
> 1) Is it possible to put floating pictures in the margin without
> locking them in the current section? See the following example:
>
> %%% Start example
> \setuplayout[
> rightmargin=5cm,
> width=fit,
> ]
>
> %\setuphead[section][
> %aligntitle=float,
> %]
>
> \starttext
> \showframe
> \section{This is a short section}
> It contains one figure.
> \placefigure[inright,top][none]{A caption.}{\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]}
> \section{This is another short section}
> It contains the same figure.
> \placefigure[inright,top][none]{A
> caption.}{\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm,height=6cm]}
>
> \section{This is a third section}
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
> %%% Stop example
>
> The result is given by
> http://tmp.oblandat.se/fig1.pdf
> If I uncomment (what I thought was the solution) the \setuphead part I get
> http://tmp.oblandat.se/fig2.pdf
> which looks better, but not as I want it. I want the sections and the
> text to look just as if there were no figures at all, and I want the
> figures to be stacked in the margin, the first one at the top of the
> margin, and the second one just below the first one. Is this possible?
>
> 2) If I really must not want a new page right after a section head
> (this happens in my long document, but no minimal example is given),
> is there any penalty or something i can set? This happens fairly often
> with the standard setup, it seems.
>
> Best regards, Mikael

Dear list,

I hate to reply to myself, but one week and no reply, so I do it.

Anyone knows if 1) is possible?

As for 2) maybe the \setuplayout[preset=strict] just suggested in
another thread does what I want?

@ 2011-11-23 16:50   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-23 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-11-2011 17:20, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:

> Anyone knows if 1) is possible?

\placefigure[margin][none]{A
caption.}{\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm,height=6cm]}

but it has to be improved (pretty old mechanism)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE