From: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
To: pavneet_arora@waroc.com,
Subject: Re: Migrating from prosper to simpleslides in creating presentations
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:29:47 +0100	[thread overview]

On 12/06/2011 11:40 PM, Pavneet Arora wrote:
> Thanks Wolfgang and Marco for the quick responses.  Marco, `impressive'
> looks just the thing that will easily allow me to add transitions while
> still using simpleslides to get me going until I can do my own DIY slides.
>
> Regards.

Glad you found a solution. Maybe just a word explaining why I find it a
waste of time to do work on such transitions in simpleslides: even if we
accept, for the sake of the argument, that such transitions are more
than a mere distraction, it is almost impossible to get acceptable
results across platforms and pdf viewers. Most viewers under linux will
either not show transitions at all or show them in such an ugly way that
your audience may leave in disgust. If something like this doesn't work,
newbies will of course assume that it's the module's fault, while in
reality, it's the implementation of the pdf viewer. Instead of having
inconsistent and potentially unsatisfying results, I prefer to leave
these transitions to outside tools.

And a tiny bit of anecdotal evidence: I had been using a "cube"
transition for a while in my classroom lectures. I thought it was cool.
And then, one day, I was standing somewhere in the back of the classroom
while I was changing slides with my remote control, and I saw the effect
for the first time from the audience's point of view. The slide pretty
much fills up the front wall of the classroom, and watching the cube
turn was absolutely nauseating; I was surprised that none of the
students had ever complained (or thrown up...). It was horrible, and I
have given up all transitions ever since...

Thomas