From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Error while compiling : ! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:45:52 +0100	[thread overview]

On 7-12-2011 17:37, Alexandre Krispin wrote:
> Thank you for your answer !
>
> Finally I am back to Latex until this problem is fixed. Though I have no
> knowledge about it, it seemed to me that the problem I got was more related
> to hanzi script than to bibtex, since the final problem of misplaced dots I
> had appeared only with hanzi script.
>
> Hans Hagen did not replied to it. That's why I suppose that one day if this
> problem related to hanzi script becomes a problem of general interest,
> maybe it will be fixed...

As mentioned on this list using a unicode (utf) engine with bibtex is
somewhat tricky. Interesting is that a similar problem occurred with
url's: bibtex has hard coded line lengths and if I'm right there has
been a fix that made lines wrap on spaces. However that does not help
with scripts that have no spaces. Somewhat strange is that bibtex was
not made compliant to other tex related programs in the sense that one
can configure the line length (which we would then set to 1000 or so).

In spite of repeated announcements of bibtex 1.0 (which would probably
not fix this issue anyway) it looks like the program is deep frozen.
Unfortunately it also has frozen some conventions that make it hard to
replace it.

Fixing it is probably something that an able programmer can do while
watching a movie at the same time were it not that touching bibtex seems
to be some kind of sacrilege.

I can imagine that someone makes a copy of bibtex, say ctxbibtex,
patches it to accept long lines and that we ship that one with context.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE