* Column problem
@ 2006-08-08 23:11 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-08 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

Hans et al,

In making the final pass at our book, I have a problem with the
\column command.

In trying to start a new column to avoid a widow, I put a \column
command at the end of the first of two columns on a page. The result
is I get a start of a new column, but it is on a new page.

Thus, page 1 has 1 column, the second column is blank, and the rest
continues on page 2 in two column format!

Help!

* Re: Column problem
@ 2006-08-09  9:16 ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-08-09  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 9, 2006, at 1:11, David Arnold wrote:

> Hans et al,
>
> In making the final pass at our book, I have a problem with the
> \column command.
>
> In trying to start a new column to avoid a widow, I put a \column
> command at the end of the first of two columns on a page. The result
> is I get a start of a new column, but it is on a new page.
>
> Thus, page 1 has 1 column, the second column is blank, and the rest
> continues on page 2 in two column format!
>
> Help!

When I had a column problem Taco Hoekwater pointed out
\startsimplecolumns for me (it is in page-mul.tex) and that helped.
Maybe you could give it a try...

Hans van der Meer