* Tikz module causes errors
@ 2012-01-17 15:00 Felix Ingram
From: Felix Ingram @ 2012-01-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just updated to the latest beta and the following will cause an error:

\usemodule[tikz]
\starttext
Hello World
\stoptext

The error is:

system          > tex > error on line 129 in file example.tex:
Undefined control sequence ...

l.129   \catcode`\;=\active

Obviously there is no line 129. A quick greg shows that the likely suspect is:
tex\texmf-modules\tex\generic\pgf\utilities\pgffor.code.tex:129

Is this the best place to report this, or should I drop a mail to the
Tikz/PGF list?

Felix

* Re: Tikz module causes errors
@ 2012-01-17 15:25 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-01-17 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-1-2012 16:00, Felix Ingram wrote:
> I've just updated to the latest beta and the following will cause an error:
>
> \usemodule[tikz]
> \starttext
> Hello World
> \stoptext
>

> The error is:
>
> system>  tex>  error on line 129 in file example.tex:
> Undefined control sequence ...
>
> l.129   \catcode`\;=\active
>
> Obviously there is no line 129. A quick greg shows that the likely suspect is:
> tex\texmf-modules\tex\generic\pgf\utilities\pgffor.code.tex:129
>
> Is this the best place to report this, or should I drop a mail to the
> Tikz/PGF list?

You can add this to cont-new.mkiv .. I'll keep it there for a while till
the context tikz loader is fixed.

(actually \catcode`\;=13 would be quite ok too)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-01-17 15:28 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-01-17 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:00, Felix Ingram wrote:
> I've just updated to the latest beta and the following will cause an error:
>
> \usemodule[tikz]
> \starttext
> Hello World
> \stoptext
>

> The error is:
>
> system          > tex > error on line 129 in file example.tex:
> Undefined control sequence ...
>
> l.129   \catcode`\;=\active
>
> Obviously there is no line 129. A quick greg shows that the likely suspect is:
> tex\texmf-modules\tex\generic\pgf\utilities\pgffor.code.tex:129
>
> Is this the best place to report this, or should I drop a mail to the
> Tikz/PGF list?

It's complicated because I'm not aware of any major TikZ developer
using ConTeXt.

The main question is: is this a recent problem in TikZ or in ConTeXt?
Usually people on this list might know how to fix problems, but then
you need to convince pgf team to accept patches. (And then Aditya
started contributing and collecting some patches independently.)

I didn't follow development of ConTeXt too closely, but I'm lead to
believe that \active has disappeared from ConTeXt MKIV. Others will
have to correct me if I'm wrong - I didn't check ConTeXt sources. And
others will have to make suggestion about what to do about this.
Patching might as easy as adding \def\active{13} somewhere on top of
TikZ sources, but it might help to understand why Hans decided to
remove the \active command if that is true.

On the other hand (completely unrelated), I just realized that the
following commit (unofficial and unreliable temporary repository):
    https://github.com/mojca/pgf/commit/418b278dcf6a2193d0d564d9d85194bdce1e505e
only fixes LaTeX and plain TeX and doesn't fix ConTeXt. I don't know
what the patch is about, but I'm lead to believe that the same patch
might be needed in ConTeXt as well if it is needed for the other two.

Mojca

* Re: Tikz module causes errors
@ 2012-01-17 16:17   ` Christophe Jorssen
From: Christophe Jorssen @ 2012-01-17 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Mojca, thanks for the follow-up.

2012/1/17 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:00, Felix Ingram wrote:
>> I've just updated to the latest beta and the following will cause an error:
>>
>> \usemodule[tikz]
>> \starttext
>> Hello World
>> \stoptext
>>

>> The error is:
>>
>> system          > tex > error on line 129 in file example.tex:
>> Undefined control sequence ...
>>
>> l.129   \catcode`\;=\active
>>
>> Obviously there is no line 129. A quick greg shows that the likely suspect is:
>> tex\texmf-modules\tex\generic\pgf\utilities\pgffor.code.tex:129
>>
>> Is this the best place to report this, or should I drop a mail to the
>> Tikz/PGF list?
>
> It's complicated because I'm not aware of any major TikZ developer
> using ConTeXt.
>
> The main question is: is this a recent problem in TikZ or in ConTeXt?
> Usually people on this list might know how to fix problems, but then
> you need to convince pgf team to accept patches. (And then Aditya
> started contributing and collecting some patches independently.)

If they aren't yet in the official repo, I would be happy to add those
patches. Note that I'm not a ConTeXt user, so I won't be able to test
them carefully.

> I didn't follow development of ConTeXt too closely, but I'm lead to
> believe that \active has disappeared from ConTeXt MKIV. Others will
> have to correct me if I'm wrong - I didn't check ConTeXt sources. And
> others will have to make suggestion about what to do about this.
> Patching might as easy as adding \def\active{13} somewhere on top of
> TikZ sources, but it might help to understand why Hans decided to
> remove the \active command if that is true.

I add it to my todo list.

> On the other hand (completely unrelated), I just realized that the
> following commit (unofficial and unreliable temporary repository):
>    https://github.com/mojca/pgf/commit/418b278dcf6a2193d0d564d9d85194bdce1e505e
> only fixes LaTeX and plain TeX and doesn't fix ConTeXt. I don't know
> what the patch is about, but I'm lead to believe that the same patch
> might be needed in ConTeXt as well if it is needed for the other two.

Not sure if it is needed for ContTeXt because I added the required
file on top of pgffor.code.tex that is loaded by any format one use.

I did add a \RequirePackage to the .sty file because LaTeX manages a
list of package loaded. I would be happy to do the same for ConTeXt if
it has a similar mechanism.

Best regards

--
Christophe

* Re: Tikz module causes errors
@ 2012-01-17 18:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-01-17 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christian Feuersaenger, Christophe Jorssen, Mojca Miklavec

On 17-1-2012 16:28, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I didn't follow development of ConTeXt too closely, but I'm lead to
> believe that \active has disappeared from ConTeXt MKIV. Others will
> have to correct me if I'm wrong - I didn't check ConTeXt sources. And
> others will have to make suggestion about what to do about this.
> Patching might as easy as adding \def\active{13} somewhere on top of
> TikZ sources, but it might help to understand why Hans decided to
> remove the \active command if that is true.

It's one of those traditional plain tex commands, but it's also one of
those commands that is sensitive for being redefined by a user; another
one is \letter (a command one could imagine to be used in the letter
module).  Maybe some more will go in the process of cleaning up.

The longer internal names already are around for a while.

I'll add an \active definition to cont-new.tex for a while

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-01-18 11:54     ` Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2012-01-18 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

2012/1/17 Christophe Jorssen <christophe.jorssen@gmail.com>

> If they aren't yet in the official repo, I would be happy to add those
> patches. Note that I'm not a ConTeXt user, so I won't be able to test
> them carefully.

which ones? all those in mojca’s repo <https://github.com/mojca/pgf>?

because getting them into mainline tikz would be awesome. some gems like
this<http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/27952/cmyk-context-colors-in-tikz#27955>already
made
it<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=752792&aid=3407097&group_id=142562>into
the cvs, but we have still qite some bugs that are only fixed in
mojca’s repo. (e.g. matrices are still unusable if you don’t do
\unprotect\ReadFile{pgfmodulematrix.code.tex}\protect after loading the
tikz module afaik)

@ 2012-01-18 12:14       ` Felix Ingram
From: Felix Ingram @ 2012-01-18 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adding the \def\active{13} statement to the sources seems to fix
things for the time being. All of my graphics appear to have shifted
to the right by leftmarginwidth but I can correct for that. I believe
that someone else had a similar issue (Daniel Edwards in a mail sent
on 14 Jan 2012).

Oh, and suffix={ --} no longer works for setupcaption but I can
survive without that for the moment.

Thanks all for the help,

Felix

@ 2012-01-18 12:20         ` luigi scarso