* GSUB init, medi, fina and .fea file
@ 2012-01-31 23:20 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-01-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I have the following OpenType feature archive (intended to use diferent
forms for initial and medial/final beta, theta and phi):

languagesystem DFLT dflt ;

feature init {
    sub uni03D0 by uni03B2 ;
    sub uni03B8 by uni03D1 ;
    sub uni03D5 by uni03C6 ;
} init ;

feature medi {
    sub uni03B2 by uni03D0 ;
    sub uni03D1 by uni03B8 ;
    sub uni03C6 by uni03D5 ;
} medi ;

feature fina {
    sub uni03B2 by uni03D0 ;
    sub uni03D1 by uni03B8 ;
    sub uni03C6 by uni03D5 ;
} fina ;

I use it with this file:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn,init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,featurefile={greeksubs.fea}]
\setmainfont[Theano Didot]
\starttext
βάρβαρος φιλοσοφία θεάσασθαι
\stoptext

But for some strange reason, even with this font I don't get the initial
theta (uni03D1) and middle .

If I change the font, add \agr to the text, change the script or remove
Latin for the default font feature, GSUB no longer work.

As far as I understand, the default rules should be independent from
script, language and font.

What am I missing here or doing simply wrong?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.oudeis.tk

* Re: GSUB init, medi, fina and .fea file
@ 2012-02-01 15:15 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:20:29AM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have the following OpenType feature archive (intended to use diferent
> forms for initial and medial/final beta, theta and phi):

Quoting my answer from a different list:

  If you are using init/fina features, it will only work with
  Arabic/Syriac and similar scripts where it is needed for basic
  shaping, most OpenType engines (including the one Hans wrote for
  LuaTeX) don't support them for other scripts. However, you can use
  contextual substitution to implement the word boundary logic into your
  OpenType code, but that is a bit tricky.

But since this is an often requested feature, and given that Adobe apps
support these features for Latin script, I think it is worth supporting
them in ConTeXt as well, it should be bit simpler than the Arabic logic
already supported.

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: GSUB init, medi, fina and .fea file
@ 2012-02-01 15:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-01 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2012 16:15, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:20:29AM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have the following OpenType feature archive (intended to use diferent
>> forms for initial and medial/final beta, theta and phi):
>
> Quoting my answer from a different list:
>
>    If you are using init/fina features, it will only work with
>    Arabic/Syriac and similar scripts where it is needed for basic
>    shaping, most OpenType engines (including the one Hans wrote for
>    LuaTeX) don't support them for other scripts. However, you can use
>    contextual substitution to implement the word boundary logic into your
>    OpenType code, but that is a bit tricky.
>
> But since this is an often requested feature, and given that Adobe apps
> support these features for Latin script, I think it is worth supporting
> them in ConTeXt as well, it should be bit simpler than the Arabic logic
> already supported.

Just wondering ... zapfino probably has these features so they should
work, although indeed the logic might be different. So, in order to
proceed we need some test font.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-02-01 16:16     ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-02-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/01/2012 04:36 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 1-2-2012 16:15, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:20:29AM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I have the following OpenType feature archive (intended to use diferent
>>> forms for initial and medial/final beta, theta and phi):
>> [...]
>> But since this is an often requested feature, and given that Adobe apps
>> support these features for Latin script, I think it is worth supporting
>> them in ConTeXt as well, it should be bit simpler than the Arabic logic
>> already supported.
>
> Just wondering ... zapfino probably has these features so they should
> work, although indeed the logic might be different. So, in order to
> proceed we need some test font.

Thanks for the replies, Khaled and Hans.

I thought that using an external .fea file would work with any font that
has the used glyphs, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--