* interlinear space and Crimson font
@ 2012-02-04 22:28 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-02-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I have the following code (font available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crimsontext/files/):

	\usemodule[simplefonts]
	\setmainfont[Crimson]
	\setupinterlinespace[line=10ex]
	\starttext
	\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth\par}
	\stoptext

And no matter whether I comment the third line or not, I get the same
interlinear space.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.oudeis.tk

* Re: interlinear space and Crimson font
@ 2012-02-05  8:43 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-05  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.02.2012 um 23:28 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:

> Hi there,
>
> I have the following code (font available at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/crimsontext/files/):
>
> 	\usemodule[simplefonts]
> 	\setmainfont[Crimson]
> 	\setupinterlinespace[line=10ex]
> 	\starttext
> 	\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth\par}
> 	\stoptext
>
> And no matter whether I comment the third line or not, I get the same
> interlinear space.

The font is buggy, I made a example which doesn’t require the simplefonts module
and you can see that you need large ex value to see a difference in the linespacing.

\starttypescript[serif][crimson]
    \setups[font:fallback:serif]
    \definefontsynonym[Serif][file:crimsonroman][features=default]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[crimson][rm][serif][crimson][default]

\setupbodyfont[crimson]

\setupinterlinespace[line=10ex]

\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

What you can do is to send a bug report to the designers of the font.

Wolfgang

* Re: interlinear space and Crimson font
@ 2012-02-05 10:17   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-02-05 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/05/2012 09:43 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 04.02.2012 um 23:28 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have the following code (font available at
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/crimsontext/files/):
>> [...]
>> And no matter whether I comment the third line or not, I get the same
>> interlinear space.
>
> The font is buggy, I made a example which doesn’t require the simplefonts module
> and you can see that you need large ex value to see a difference in the linespacing.
> [...]
> What you can do is to send a bug report to the designers of the font.

Thanks for the reply, Wolfgang.

There are other things that don't work well (such as footnotes
superscripts).

I'll report the issues to the font designer (hoping that I am able
translate from ConTeXt to normal speak ;-)).

Thanks again for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-02-05 12:53   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-05 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:43:37AM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 04.02.2012 um 23:28 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have the following code (font available at
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/crimsontext/files/):
> >
> > 	\usemodule[simplefonts]
> > 	\setmainfont[Crimson]
> > 	\setupinterlinespace[line=10ex]
> > 	\starttext
> > 	\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth\par}
> > 	\stoptext
> >
> > And no matter whether I comment the third line or not, I get the same
> > interlinear space.
>
> The font is buggy, I made a example which doesn’t require the simplefonts module
> and you can see that you need large ex value to see a difference in the linespacing.
>
> \starttypescript[serif][crimson]
>     \setups[font:fallback:serif]
>     \definefontsynonym[Serif][file:crimsonroman][features=default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definetypeface[crimson][rm][serif][crimson][default]
>
> \setupbodyfont[crimson]
>
> \setupinterlinespace[line=10ex]
>
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> What you can do is to send a bug report to the designers of the font.

I co-work on Crimson now, so what is broken that I need to fix?

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: interlinear space and Crimson font
@ 2012-02-05 13:06     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.02.2012 um 13:53 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> I co-work on Crimson now, so what is broken that I need to fix?

The value for ex is wrong, when I run the following example I get for Latin Modern 4.31pt and for Pagella 4.49pt but Crimson gives only 1.12pt.

\starttext

\definedfont[Serif at 10pt]\the\exheight

\definedfont[file:texgyrepagellaregular at 10pt]\the\exheight

\definedfont[file:crimsonroman at 10pt]\the\exheight

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: interlinear space and Crimson font
@ 2012-02-05 13:51       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-05 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 02:06:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 05.02.2012 um 13:53 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>
> > I co-work on Crimson now, so what is broken that I need to fix?
>
> The value for ex is wrong, when I run the following example I get for Latin Modern 4.31pt and for Pagella 4.49pt but Crimson gives only 1.12pt.
>
> \starttext
>
> \definedfont[Serif at 10pt]\the\exheight
>
> \definedfont[file:texgyrepagellaregular at 10pt]\the\exheight
>
> \definedfont[file:crimsonroman at 10pt]\the\exheight
>
> \stoptext

I see, I checked and it seems like a bug in FontForge causing
calculation of wrong xheight when generating the font, will see if I can
fix this.

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: interlinear space and Crimson font
@ 2012-02-07 14:14       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-07 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 02:06:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 05.02.2012 um 13:53 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>
> > I co-work on Crimson now, so what is broken that I need to fix?
>
> The value for ex is wrong, when I run the following example I get for Latin Modern 4.31pt and for Pagella 4.49pt but Crimson gives only 1.12pt.
>
> \starttext
>
> \definedfont[Serif at 10pt]\the\exheight
>
> \definedfont[file:texgyrepagellaregular at 10pt]\the\exheight
>
> \definedfont[file:crimsonroman at 10pt]\the\exheight
>
> \stoptext

Fixed now in svn trunk, if anyone wants to use it:

http://crimsontext.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/crimsontext/trunk/builds/

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: interlinear space and Crimson font
@ 2012-02-07 20:58         ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-02-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/07/2012 03:14 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 02:06:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 05.02.2012 um 13:53 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>>
>>> I co-work on Crimson now, so what is broken that I need to fix?
>>
>> The value for ex is wrong, when I run the following example I get
>> for Latin Modern 4.31pt and for Pagella 4.49pt but Crimson gives
>> only 1.12pt.
>
> Fixed now in svn trunk, if anyone wants to use it:
>
> http://crimsontext.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/crimsontext/trunk/builds/

Thanks, it works fine now.

Pablo
--