* Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-07 13:06 Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2012-02-07 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt Mainling List

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 686 bytes --]

with some recent beta (sorry for vagueness), tikz stopped working after
titles. (i use first-setup.sh to install: these are the betas, not
something different, right?)

(quite) minimal example:

—————✁—————

\usemodule[tikz]

\def\pic{\framed{\starttikzpicture
\node[draw] (A) {A};
\node[draw] (B) at (1, 0) {B};

\draw[green, ->] (A) -- (B);
\draw[red,  <->] (A) -- (B);
\draw[blue, <- ] (A) -- (B);
\stoptikzpicture}}

\starttext
Works:

\pic

\section{This fucks things up}
Doesn’t work:

\pic
\stoptext

—————✃—————

result:

[image: tikztest.png]

(if this gets scrapped: https://imgur.com/GV1gK )

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 867 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: tikztest.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10986 bytes --]

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08  9:51 ` Felix Ingram
From: Felix Ingram @ 2012-02-08  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 February 2012 13:06, Philipp A. <flying-sheep@web.de> wrote:

> with some recent beta (sorry for vagueness), tikz stopped working after
> titles. (i use first-setup.sh to install: these are the betas, not
> something different, right?)

I can confirm that this is similar to the problems I am experiencing. The
problem was introduced between BETA 2012.01.02 19:23 and BETA 2012.01.11
14:58. (These are based on the gitorious revisions).

There were some betas released between these two, but they caused other
problems which would stop the document compiling, so I can't narrow it down
further. The following files were changed between these two revisions:

context\data\scite\lexers\data\scite-context-data-context.lua
context\data\scite\scite-context-data-context.properties
metapost\context\base\mp-core.mpiv
metapost\context\base\mp-grph.mpiv
metapost\context\base\mp-tool.mpiv
scripts\context\lua\mtx-interface.lua
scripts\context\lua\mtx-update.lua
tex\context\base\anch-bck.mkvi
tex\context\base\anch-pgr.mkiv
tex\context\base\anch-pos.mkiv
tex\context\base\buff-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\buff-ver.mkiv
tex\context\base\colo-ini.lua
tex\context\base\colo-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\cont-log.mkiv
tex\context\base\cont-new.mkii
tex\context\base\cont-new.mkiv
tex\context\base\context-version.pdf
tex\context\base\context-version.png
tex\context\base\context.mkii
tex\context\base\context.mkiv
tex\context\base\core-def.mkiv
tex\context\base\core-mis.mkiv
tex\context\base\core-sys.mkiv
tex\context\base\font-col.lua
tex\context\base\font-ctx.lua
tex\context\base\font-ext.lua
tex\context\base\font-gds.mkiv
tex\context\base\font-run.mkiv
tex\context\base\font-tra.mkiv
tex\context\base\font-unk.mkiv
tex\context\base\grph-fig.mkiv
tex\context\base\grph-inc.mkiv
tex\context\base\grph-trf.mkiv
tex\context\base\lang-def.mkiv
tex\context\base\lpdf-ano.lua
tex\context\base\luat-mac.lua
tex\context\base\lxml-tex.lua
tex\context\base\math-ali.mkiv
tex\context\base\math-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\meta-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\meta-pag.mkiv
tex\context\base\meta-tex.mkiv
tex\context\base\mult-aux.mkiv
tex\context\base\mult-dim.mkvi
tex\context\base\mult-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\mult-low.lua
tex\context\base\mult-sys.mkiv
tex\context\base\pack-box.mkiv
tex\context\base\pack-mrl.mkiv
tex\context\base\pack-obj.mkiv
tex\context\base\pack-rul.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-brk.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-imp.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-lay.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-mul.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-run.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-set.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-sid.mkiv
tex\context\base\page-txt.mkvi
tex\context\base\prop-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\s-map-10.mkiv
tex\context\base\scrn-but.mkvi
tex\context\base\scrn-fld.lua
tex\context\base\scrp-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\spac-ali.mkiv
tex\context\base\spac-def.mkiv
tex\context\base\spac-hor.mkiv
tex\context\base\spac-ver.lua
tex\context\base\spac-ver.mkiv
tex\context\base\status-files.pdf
tex\context\base\status-lua.pdf
tex\context\base\status-mkiv.lua
tex\context\base\status-mkiv.tex
tex\context\base\strc-des.mkiv
tex\context\base\strc-doc.mkiv
tex\context\base\strc-flt.mkvi
tex\context\base\strc-itm.mkvi
tex\context\base\strc-lst.mkiv
tex\context\base\strc-mat.mkiv
tex\context\base\strc-ref.lua
tex\context\base\strc-ref.mkvi
tex\context\base\strc-reg.mkiv
tex\context\base\strc-ren.mkiv
tex\context\base\strc-sec.mkiv
tex\context\base\supp-box.mkiv
tex\context\base\supp-num.mkiv
tex\context\base\symb-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\syst-aux.mkiv
tex\context\base\syst-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\tabl-tbl.mkiv
tex\context\base\tabl-xtb.mkvi
tex\context\base\type-set.mkiv
tex\context\base\type-siz.mkiv
tex\context\base\typo-cap.mkiv
tex\context\base\typo-cln.lua
tex\context\base\typo-cln.mkiv
tex\context\base\typo-krn.lua
tex\context\base\typo-krn.mkiv
tex\context\base\typo-spa.lua
tex\context\base\typo-spa.mkiv
tex\generic\context\luatex\luatex-fonts-merged.lua

The following were added:
metapost\context\base\mp-idea.mpiv
tex\context\base\font-col.mkvi
tex\context\base\font-emp.mkvi
tex\context\base\font-ini.mkvi
tex\context\base\font-pre.mkiv
tex\context\base\spac-lin.mkiv
tex\context\base\type-fbk.mkiv
tex\context\base\type-ini.mkvi
tex\context\bib\backup\sample.bib

And the following were removed (actually these are renames of some of the
above files):

tex\context\base\font-col.mkiv
tex\context\base\font-ini.mkiv
tex\context\base\type-ini.mkiv

I've tried applying the changes individually but I ran into issues with
things not being applied in the correct order. If anyone can suggest some
files I should look at then I can experiment further.

Felix

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 10:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-08 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-2-2012 10:51, Felix Ingram wrote:
> On 7 February 2012 13:06, Philipp A.<flying-sheep@web.de>  wrote:
>
>> with some recent beta (sorry for vagueness), tikz stopped working after
>> titles. (i use first-setup.sh to install: these are the betas, not
>> something different, right?)

what does 'stop working' mean? some message?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 11:16     ` Felix Ingram
From: Felix Ingram @ 2012-02-08 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 February 2012 10:24, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 8-2-2012 10:51, Felix Ingram wrote:
>>
>> On 7 February 2012 13:06, Philipp A.<flying-sheep@web.de>  wrote:
>>
>>> with some recent beta (sorry for vagueness), tikz stopped working after
>>> titles. (i use first-setup.sh to install: these are the betas, not
>>> something different, right?)
>

> what does 'stop working' mean? some message?

"Stop Working" means "no longer get positioned where they should be
but still get drawn".

In my case all graphics are shifted to the right by
Some-Unknown-Distance. In Philipp's case the various graphics parts
jump about. (I've seen something similar when drawing multiple nodes).

I've included my minimal example below again. I wouldn't say that
titles are causing the issue, it just seems to be that the first
picture will render okay and then all others from then on will be
misplaced. In the example that Philipp gave removing the \section line
will still demonstrate the issue.

Please let me know if there's any more information that I can provide.

Felix

\usemodule[tikz]
\definefloat[newfloat][newfloats]
\setupfloat[newfloat][
       rightmargindistance=1cm,
       maxwidth=0.5cm,
   ]

\startbuffer[myfloat]
\placenewfloat[right, none, fit]{}{
   \starttikzpicture
   \node[text width=2cm]  {%
   \color[black]{\tfx\bf
I'm the Doctor. Well, they call me the Doctor. I don't know why. I call me the
Doctor. I don't know why.
       }
   };
   \stoptikzpicture
}
\stopbuffer
\starttext
\getbuffer[myfloat]
The float to the right will be flush with the text

\getbuffer[myfloat]
The float will now have shifted to the right.
\stoptext

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 13:50       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-08 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-2-2012 12:16, Felix Ingram wrote:
> On 8 February 2012 10:24, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:

>> what does 'stop working' mean? some message?
>
> "Stop Working" means "no longer get positioned where they should be
> but still get drawn".
>
> In my case all graphics are shifted to the right by
> Some-Unknown-Distance. In Philipp's case the various graphics parts
> jump about. (I've seen something similar when drawing multiple nodes).
>
> I've included my minimal example below again. I wouldn't say that
> titles are causing the issue, it just seems to be that the first
> picture will render okay and then all others from then on will be
> misplaced. In the example that Philipp gave removing the \section line
> will still demonstrate the issue.
>
> Please let me know if there's any more information that I can provide.

Interesting is that it matters if one puts colons after words:

one % :

\pic

two:

\pic

Anyhow, the problem is that tikz messes around with cq. assumes nullfont
to be in a certain state which is asking for troubles.

In font-set.mkvi there is some provision for this (which I don't like),
but anyhow, one can uncomment the \dorecurse line

\def\font_preloads_reset_nullfont
   {\dorecurse\plusseven{\fontdimen\recurselevel\nullfont\zeropoint}%
keep en eye on this as:
    \ctxcommand{resetnullfont()}% in luatex 0.70 this will also do the
previous
    \globallet\font_preloads_reset_nullfont\relax}

maybe tikz should push/pop nullfont dimens to be on the safe side as
there is no rule against setting nullfont

(btw, this problem has shown up before)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 14:14         ` Felix Ingram
From: Felix Ingram @ 2012-02-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 February 2012 13:50, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 8-2-2012 12:16, Felix Ingram wrote:

>>> what does 'stop working' mean? some message?
>>

>> "Stop Working" means "no longer get positioned where they should be
>> but still get drawn".
>>
>> In my case all graphics are shifted to the right by
>> Some-Unknown-Distance. In Philipp's case the various graphics parts
>> jump about. (I've seen something similar when drawing multiple nodes).
>>
>> I've included my minimal example below again. I wouldn't say that
>> titles are causing the issue, it just seems to be that the first
>> picture will render okay and then all others from then on will be
>> misplaced. In the example that Philipp gave removing the \section line
>> will still demonstrate the issue.
>>
>> Please let me know if there's any more information that I can provide.
>

> Interesting is that it matters if one puts colons after words:
>
> one % :
>
> \pic
>
> two:
>
> \pic
>
> Anyhow, the problem is that tikz messes around with cq. assumes nullfont to
> be in a certain state which is asking for troubles.
>
> In font-set.mkvi there is some provision for this (which I don't like), but
> anyhow, one can uncomment the \dorecurse line
>
> \def\font_preloads_reset_nullfont
>  {\dorecurse\plusseven{\fontdimen\recurselevel\nullfont\zeropoint}% keep en
> eye on this as:
>   \ctxcommand{resetnullfont()}% in luatex 0.70 this will also do the
> previous
>   \globallet\font_preloads_reset_nullfont\relax}
>
> maybe tikz should push/pop nullfont dimens to be on the safe side as there
> is no rule against setting nullfont
>
> (btw, this problem has shown up before)

Thanks Hans,

This is working. (Now I just need to remove all of the fudge factors I
added to my template). I've posted a bug report on the PGF/Tikz
tracker, so I will add your suggested fix to that and hopefully it
will get addressed there.

Felix

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 16:31           ` Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2012-02-08 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

once again i’m not quite sure what to do as i don’t really understand
what’s going on (just ignorance, not your fault, guys ;))

do i get it right that i have to locate “font-set.mkvi” and i will find the
following line, in which i have to remove the first “%” sign?

  {%\dorecurse\plusseven{\fontdimen\recurselevel\nullfont\zeropoint}% keep
en eye on this as:

thank you!

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 16:36             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-02-08 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Philipp A. <flying-sheep@web.de> wrote:
> once again i’m not quite sure what to do as i don’t really understand what’s
> going on (just ignorance, not your fault, guys ;))
>
> do i get it right that i have to locate “font-set.mkvi” and i will find the
> following line, in which i have to remove the first “%” sign?
>
>   {%\dorecurse\plusseven{\fontdimen\recurselevel\nullfont\zeropoint}% keep
> en eye on this as:
yes, and then rebuild the format
$ context --generate
(to be sure)
and
$ context --make --all

--
luigi

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 17:18               ` Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2012-02-08 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

thank you. my install script keeps getting more monstrous:

#!/bin/zsh
./first-setup.sh --extras="t-simplefonts,t-tikz,t-filter,t-vim,t-lettrine"

cd context-rst
./upgrade.sh
cd ..

. ~/context/tex/setuptex
export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts;/usr/share/fonts;$HOME/.fonts"
mtxrun --script fonts --reload

#fix tikz
fontset="tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-set.mkvi"
fontsetbak="font-set.mkvi.changed"

sed "s/{%\(\\\\dorecurse.*\)/{\1/" <"$fontset" >"$fontsetbak"
mv "$fontsetbak" "$fontset"

context --generate
context --make --all

* Re: Titles break TikZ
@ 2012-02-08 17:37                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-2-2012 18:18, Philipp A. wrote:
> thank you. my install script keeps getting more monstrous:
>
> #!/bin/zsh
> ../first-setup.sh --extras="t-simplefonts,t-tikz,t-filter,t-vim,t-lettrine"
>
> cd context-rst
> ../upgrade.sh
> cd ..
>
> .. ~/context/tex/setuptex
> export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts;/usr/share/fonts;$HOME/.fonts"
> mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>
> #fix tikz
> fontset="tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-set.mkvi"
> fontsetbak="font-set.mkvi.changed"
>
> sed "s/{%\(\\\\dorecurse.*\)/{\1/"<"$fontset">"$fontsetbak"
> mv "$fontsetbak" "$fontset"
>
> context --generate
> context --make --all

you could copy the macro in cont-new.mkiv

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE