* no liga with Brill font
@ 2012-02-07 21:20 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-02-07 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

there is a zero-cost font (not available for commercial works without
previous permission) from Brill (http://www.brill.nl/news/brill-typeface).

Standard ligatures such as fi and fl don't work:

	\usemodule[simplefonts]
	\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]
	\setmainfont[Brill]
	\starttext
	fi fl ff ffi ffl
	\stoptext

The glyphs are defined (ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl), but when I test ligatures with
FontForge (Ctrl+K) these glyphs aren't used and single substitution
lookups in different subtables are performed for the different ligatures
(actually no ligatures are used).

Sorry, my explanation isn't as accurate as it should. I'm not a font
expert, but Substitutions can be browsed in FontForge selecting the
glyph info (Ctrl+I).

Is there something to report to the font designer or is there something
not yet implemented in ConTeXt?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.oudeis.tk

* Re: no liga with Brill font
@ 2012-02-07 22:10 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-07 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:20:55PM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> there is a zero-cost font (not available for commercial works without
> previous permission) from Brill (http://www.brill.nl/news/brill-typeface).
>
> Standard ligatures such as fi and fl don't work:
>
> 	\usemodule[simplefonts]
> 	\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]
> 	\setmainfont[Brill]
> 	\starttext
> 	fi fl ff ffi ffl
> 	\stoptext
>
> The glyphs are defined (ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl), but when I test ligatures with
> FontForge (Ctrl+K) these glyphs aren't used and single substitution
> lookups in different subtables are performed for the different ligatures
> (actually no ligatures are used).

The font seems to be using contextual substitution instead of regular
ligatures (so the ligature glyphs are not really used, but alternate f’s
and i’s etc. are used instead to give the same effect, quite helpful if
you want to color only part of the ligature), so you may node to set
mode to node:

\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn,mode=node]

However, your example works here without any modifications (I added
color commands just to showcase the usefulness of this approach).

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]
\setmainfont[Brill]
\def\r#1{\color[red]{#1}}
\def\b#1{\color[blue]{#1}}
\starttext
\r{f}\b{i} \r{f}\b{l} \b{f}\r{f} \b{f}f\r{i} \r{f}\b{f}\r{l}
\stoptext

Regards,
 Khaled

[-- Attachment #2: b.pdf --]

* Re: no liga with Brill font
@ 2012-02-07 22:41   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-02-07 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/07/2012 11:10 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> The font seems to be using contextual substitution instead of regular
> ligatures (so the ligature glyphs are not really used, but alternate f’s
> and i’s etc. are used instead to give the same effect, quite helpful if
> you want to color only part of the ligature), so you may node to set
> mode to node:
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn,mode=node]
>
> However, your example works here without any modifications (I added
> color commands just to showcase the usefulness of this approach).

I'm afraid it doesn't work here either way (using ConTeXt stable from
TL2011).

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.oudeis.tk

* Re: no liga with Brill font
@ 2012-02-07 23:19     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-07 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:41:14PM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 11:10 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >
> > The font seems to be using contextual substitution instead of regular
> > ligatures (so the ligature glyphs are not really used, but alternate f’s
> > and i’s etc. are used instead to give the same effect, quite helpful if
> > you want to color only part of the ligature), so you may node to set
> > mode to node:
> >
> > \definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn,mode=node]
> >
> > However, your example works here without any modifications (I added
> > color commands just to showcase the usefulness of this approach).
>
> I'm afraid it doesn't work here either way (using ConTeXt stable from
> TL2011).

ConTeXt in TeXLive is always out of date (for reasons beyond me), so you
are better off using ConTeXt minimals distribution (it changed name
several times lately and I'm sure what the current name is).

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: no liga with Brill font
@ 2012-02-08  9:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-08  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-2-2012 23:10, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:20:55PM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> there is a zero-cost font (not available for commercial works without
>> previous permission) from Brill (http://www.brill.nl/news/brill-typeface).
>>
>> Standard ligatures such as fi and fl don't work:
>>
>> 	\usemodule[simplefonts]
>> 	\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]
>> 	\setmainfont[Brill]
>> 	\starttext
>> 	fi fl ff ffi ffl
>> 	\stoptext
>>
>> The glyphs are defined (ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl), but when I test ligatures with
>> FontForge (Ctrl+K) these glyphs aren't used and single substitution
>> lookups in different subtables are performed for the different ligatures
>> (actually no ligatures are used).
>
> The font seems to be using contextual substitution instead of regular
> ligatures (so the ligature glyphs are not really used, but alternate f’s
> and i’s etc. are used instead to give the same effect, quite helpful if
> you want to color only part of the ligature), so you may node to set
> mode to node:
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn,mode=node]
>
> However, your example works here without any modifications (I added
> color commands just to showcase the usefulness of this approach).
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]
> \setmainfont[Brill]
> \def\r#1{\color[red]{#1}}
> \def\b#1{\color[blue]{#1}}
> \starttext
> \r{f}\b{i} \r{f}\b{l} \b{f}\r{f} \b{f}f\r{i} \r{f}\b{f}\r{l}
> \stoptext

Here are two examples from an upcoming manual (about nasty font details
... quite some work so far from ready)

\setupbodyfont[dejavu]

\starttext
     \showotfcomposition{name:dejavuserif*default at 24pt}{1}{affiliation}
     \page
     \showotfcomposition{name:cambria*default at 24pt}{1}{affiliation}
\stoptext

Dejavu has real ligatures but cambria has alternate glyphs.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: no liga with Brill font
@ 2012-02-08 20:12       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-02-08 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/08/2012 12:19 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:41:14PM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> I'm afraid it doesn't work here either way (using ConTeXt stable from
>> TL2011).
>
> ConTeXt in TeXLive is always out of date (for reasons beyond me), so you
> are better off using ConTeXt minimals distribution (it changed name
> several times lately and I'm sure what the current name is).

Thanks for the reply, Kahled.

If I'm not wrong, TeXLive doesn't include beta software (this might be a
reasonable choice). So ConTeXt standalone is the way to go
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone).

Pablo
--
http://www.oudeis.tk