* error with m-database example
@ 2012-02-15 15:06 Martin
From: Martin @ 2012-02-15 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sorry to pick up an old topic
(http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20101221.082006.4dc83f26.en.html),
but I seem to have the same problem with m-database at mentioned in this
old thread.

I am trying to "freely" use the data fields in a layout other than
(natural) Tables.

An update of context (15.2.2012) doesn't help.

The example from the CSV MyWay fails as well as the simplified example
below with following error:

\doprocessdatabase ...ameter \c!command \!!es , }}
l.14 \stopAddressen

Modifying m-database.lua as suggested in the old thread seems to have no
effect on the error... Though I suspect the file has been changed since
anyhow.

Thanks for any input, Martin

Code used:

\usemodule[database]

\def\SendMe#1#2{#1\crlf#2}

\defineseparatedlist
   [Addressen]
   [separator={;},command=\SendMe]

\starttext

\startAddressen
xyz;Maasstraat
abc;sometown
\stopAddressen

\stoptext

using the variant doesn't help:

\startseparatedlist[Addressen]
xyz;Maasstraat
abc;sometown
\stopseparatedlist

* Re: error with m-database example
@ 2012-02-15 20:12 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-15 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.02.2012 um 16:06 schrieb Martin:

> Sorry to pick up an old topic (http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20101221.082006.4dc83f26.en.html), but I seem to have the same problem with m-database at mentioned in this old thread.
>
> I am trying to "freely" use the data fields in a layout other than (natural) Tables.
>
> An update of context (15.2.2012) doesn't help.
>
> The example from the CSV MyWay fails as well as the simplified example below with following error:
>

> \doprocessdatabase ...ameter \c!command \!!es , }}
> l.14 \stopAddressen
>

> Modifying m-database.lua as suggested in the old thread seems to have no effect on the error... Though I suspect the file has been changed since anyhow.
>
> Thanks for any input, Martin
>
> Code used:
>
> \usemodule[database]
>
> \def\SendMe#1#2{#1\crlf#2}

\unexpanded\def\SendMe#1#2{#1\crlf#2}

Wolfgang

* Re: error with m-database example
@ 2012-02-15 20:54   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2012-02-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > \unexpanded\def\SendMe#1#2{#1\crlf#2}
 >
 > Wolfgang

Wolfgang, thanks, that worked for the sample code. However, when
extended to three fields (I need 8) the field splitting gets rather messy.

Thanks, Martin

Modified code:

\usemodule[database]
\unexpanded\def\SendMe#1#2#3{#1\crlf#2\crlf#3}

\defineseparatedlist
   [Addressen]
   [separator={;},command=\SendMe]

\starttext
\startAddressen
house1;street1;name1
house2;street2;name2
\stopAddressen
\stoptext

Result is in attached PDF (hope that's ok)

[-- Attachment #2: csv-test.pdf --]

* Re: error with m-database example
@ 2012-02-15 21:08     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-15 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.02.2012 um 21:54 schrieb Martin:

> > \unexpanded\def\SendMe#1#2{#1\crlf#2}
> >
> > Wolfgang
>
> Wolfgang, thanks, that worked for the sample code. However, when extended to three fields (I need 8) the field splitting gets rather messy.

I had to look at the example in the module for this and what I saw is that you can only use commands with *one* but this isn’t a real problem, when you describe what do you want to do with the entries I can provide you with a solution for this.

Wolfgang

* Re: error with m-database example
@ 2012-02-16 11:03       ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2012-02-16 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Admittedly I feel a bit lost when looking at the various processing
modules...

My goal is to create template based output. I have created a rough
mail-merge example (with LibreOffice) and attached it as PDF for
illustration.

There is a CSV database with currently 8 fields, probably a few more
will be added. These fields need to be placed into a form, in my example
a list of courses. Other forms based on the same data should follow.
These forms/lists will then be printed.

Hope that makes sense. Maybe I'm pushing the database module a bit to
far, but I was just trying to avoid "mail-merges"...

thanks,
Martin

Am 15.02.12 22:08, schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

> Am 15.02.2012 um 21:54 schrieb Martin:
>

>>> \unexpanded\def\SendMe#1#2{#1\crlf#2}
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> Wolfgang, thanks, that worked for the sample code. However, when extended to three fields (I need 8) the field splitting gets rather messy.
>
> I had to look at the example in the module for this and what I saw is that you can only use commands with *one* but this isn’t a real problem, when you describe what do you want to do with the entries I can provide you with a solution for this.
>
> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: kursliste.pdf --]

* Re: error with m-database example
@ 2012-02-16 12:16         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-16 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-2-2012 12:03, Martin wrote:
> Admittedly I feel a bit lost when looking at the various processing
> modules...
>
> My goal is to create template based output. I have created a rough
> mail-merge example (with LibreOffice) and attached it as PDF for
> illustration.
>
> There is a CSV database with currently 8 fields, probably a few more
> will be added. These fields need to be placed into a form, in my example
> a list of courses. Other forms based on the same data should follow.
> These forms/lists will then be printed.
>
> Hope that makes sense. Maybe I'm pushing the database module a bit to
> far, but I was just trying to avoid "mail-merges"...

\starttext

\startluacode

-- or: str = io.loaddata(somefile)

local str = [[
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h
]]

local list = string.splitlines(str)

for i=1,#list do
     local fields = utilities.parsers.settings_to_array(list[i])
     if fields[1] then
         context("field 1: %s",fields[1])
         context.par()
     end
end

\stopluacode

\stoptext

so:

- read in the cvs file
- split them into lines
- loop over each line
- split that line
- and mess around with the fields

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-12-21  8:20     ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-12-21  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 20, 2010, at 22:32 , Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 20-12-2010 5:56, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 20:37, Florian Wobbe wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The example from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/m-database gives me an error.
>>>
>>> ! LuaTeX error ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: bad argument #2 to 'lpegmatch' (string expected, got nil)
>>> stack traceback:
>>>        [C]: in function 'lpegmatch'
>>>        ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: in function 'process'
>>>        <main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
>>> \doprocessdatabase ...ameter \c!command \!!es , }}
>>>
>>> l.18 \stopMyTable
>>>

>>> I also, tried the first example of Mojca's CSV May Way (http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/csv.pdf) which gives me:
>>>
>>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>>> l.36 \startseparatedlist
>>>                        [NaturalTable]
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>>> Florian
>>
>> Dear Florian,
>>
>> Hans reimplemented the database module in MKIV. He requested a list of
>> problems that I have discovered in new implementation, but apparently
>> it's still on his TODO list to resolve them.
>
> replace line 42 in m-database.lua by:
>
>        data = buffers.getlines(settings.database)
>
> (internally buffers used to be pre-split but that was changed)

Thanks Hans. Both examples work now, though I had to replace
 \startseparatedlist[NaturalTable]
with
 \startNaturalTable
in Mojca's CSV May Way example.

Florian

* Re: error with m-database example
@ 2010-12-20 21:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-20 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-12-2010 5:56, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 20:37, Florian Wobbe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The example from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/m-database gives me an error.
>>
>> ! LuaTeX error ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: bad argument #2 to 'lpegmatch' (string expected, got nil)
>> stack traceback:
>>         [C]: in function 'lpegmatch'
>>         ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: in function 'process'
>>         <main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
>> \doprocessdatabase ...ameter \c!command \!!es , }}
>>
>> l.18 \stopMyTable
>>

>> I also, tried the first example of Mojca's CSV May Way (http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/csv.pdf) which gives me:
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.36 \startseparatedlist
>>                         [NaturalTable]
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Florian
>
> Dear Florian,
>
> Hans reimplemented the database module in MKIV. He requested a list of
> problems that I have discovered in new implementation, but apparently
> it's still on his TODO list to resolve them.

replace line 42 in m-database.lua by:

         data = buffers.getlines(settings.database)

(internally buffers used to be pre-split but that was changed)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-12-20 17:46   ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-12-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 20, 2010, at 17:56 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 20:37, Florian Wobbe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The example from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/m-database gives me an error.
>>
>> ! LuaTeX error ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: bad argument #2 to 'lpegmatch' (string expected, got nil)
>> stack traceback:
>>        [C]: in function 'lpegmatch'
>>        ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: in function 'process'
>>        <main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
>> \doprocessdatabase ...ameter \c!command \!!es , }}
>>
>> l.18 \stopMyTable
>>

>> I also, tried the first example of Mojca's CSV May Way (http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/csv.pdf) which gives me:
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.36 \startseparatedlist
>>                        [NaturalTable]
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Florian
>
> Dear Florian,
>
> Hans reimplemented the database module in MKIV. He requested a list of
> problems that I have discovered in new implementation, but apparently
> it's still on his TODO list to resolve them.

All right, then. I'll be patient...

Florian

* Re: error with m-database example
@ 2010-12-20 16:56 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-12-20 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 20:37, Florian Wobbe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The example from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/m-database gives me an error.
>
> ! LuaTeX error ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: bad argument #2 to 'lpegmatch' (string expected, got nil)
> stack traceback:
>        [C]: in function 'lpegmatch'
>        ...t-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-database.lua:74: in function 'process'
>        <main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
> \doprocessdatabase ...ameter \c!command \!!es , }}
>
> l.18 \stopMyTable
>

> I also, tried the first example of Mojca's CSV May Way (http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/csv.pdf) which gives me:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.36 \startseparatedlist
>                        [NaturalTable]
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Florian

Dear Florian,

Hans reimplemented the database module in MKIV. He requested a list of
problems that I have discovered in new implementation, but apparently
it's still on his TODO list to resolve them.

Mojca

* error with m-database example
@ 2010-12-19 19:37 Florian Wobbe