* beta
@ 2012-02-16  9:17 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-16  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a beta. Apart from some fixes, the biggest change is in
dealing with positional info and text backgrounds (first stage cleanup).
  As I have no clue to what extend users mess around with background
graphics themselves, it's hard to predict side effects, but the biggest
impact is speed. The adventurous might want to try out

\setuptextbackground
   [mp=mpos:par:region,
    method=mpos:par:region]

or with some more visual tracing

\setuptextbackground
   [mp=mpos:par:region:kind,
    method=mpos:par:region]

A simple test with some 200 backgrounds brings down runtime with one
second on my machine (not the fastest anyway).

Apart from a performance gain, backgrounds are now also supported in
regular multicolumns as well as in some specific mechanisms like
tabulate and xtables. In xtables one needs to set region=yes in order to
get the desired results. Actually, the region key is a new one in framed
so anything that can be framed can also have fancy text  backgrounds.

Yet another improvement is that (although rather untested) you can do
things like

     \starttextbackground[r] START
     \dorecurse{10}{
         \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }
         \placefigure[right]{}{}
         some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
         \placefigure[left]{}{}
         some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
         \placefigure[right]{}{}
         some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
     }
     STOP \stoptextbackground
     \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }

and get more or less expected results. Keep in mind that it can never
get perfect due to all kind of possible interference. Also, keep away
from internals as they will quite certainly change.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2012-02-16 13:53 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2012-02-16 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the new beta: as a matter of fact it seems to be much faster the previous ones, even with many backgrounds!

I wanted to submit a small bug with the « \prime » in math mode: the following gives an error
%%%%%% begin example.tex
\starttext
The function $\exp$ is the unique solution of
\startformula
u'(x) = u(x) \quad u(0) = 1.
\stopformula
\stoptext
%%%%% end example.tex

The error message is:
\301>c ->\egroup

<to be read again>
                   (
l.6 u'(
       x) = u(x) \quad u(0) = 1.

Best regards: OK

On 16 févr. 2012, at 10:17, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta. Apart from some fixes, the biggest change is in dealing with positional info and text backgrounds (first stage cleanup).  As I have no clue to what extend users mess around with background graphics themselves, it's hard to predict side effects, but the biggest impact is speed. The adventurous might want to try out
>
> \setuptextbackground
>  [mp=mpos:par:region,
>   method=mpos:par:region]
>
> or with some more visual tracing
>
> \setuptextbackground
>  [mp=mpos:par:region:kind,
>   method=mpos:par:region]
>
> A simple test with some 200 backgrounds brings down runtime with one second on my machine (not the fastest anyway).
>
> Apart from a performance gain, backgrounds are now also supported in regular multicolumns as well as in some specific mechanisms like tabulate and xtables. In xtables one needs to set region=yes in order to get the desired results. Actually, the region key is a new one in framed so anything that can be framed can also have fancy text  backgrounds.
>
> Yet another improvement is that (although rather untested) you can do things like
>
>    \starttextbackground[r] START
>    \dorecurse{10}{
>        \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }
>        \placefigure[right]{}{}
>        some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>        \placefigure[left]{}{}
>        some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>        \placefigure[right]{}{}
>        some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>    }
>    STOP \stoptextbackground
>    \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }
>
> and get more or less expected results. Keep in mind that it can never get perfect due to all kind of possible interference. Also, keep away from internals as they will quite certainly change.
>
> Hans

>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: beta
@ 2012-02-16 16:44 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2012-02-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Another small issue with the new beta (ConTeXt  ver: 2012.02.16 13:05 MKIV): the key « location= hanging » does not work anymore in enumerations.
Minimal example:
%%%%%%
\defineenumeration[Exo]
	[location=hanging,
	width=fit,
	text={Exercise },
	stopper={.}]

\starttext

\startExo This is a test: this line should not be below « Exercise 1. »\dots

\stopExo

\stoptext
%%%%%

@ 2012-02-16 17:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-16 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-2-2012 14:53, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for the new beta: as a matter of fact it seems to be much faster the previous ones, even with many backgrounds!
>
> I wanted to submit a small bug with the « \prime » in math mode: the following gives an error
> %%%%%% begin example.tex
> \starttext
> The function $\exp$ is the unique solution of
> \startformula
> u'(x) = u(x) \quad u(0) = 1.
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
> %%%%% end example.tex
>
> The error message is:
> \301>c ->\egroup

fixed (hopefully)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [beta] anch-pos.lua
@ 2012-02-16 18:01 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2012-02-16 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-02-16 10:17, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta. Apart from some fixes, the biggest change is in
> dealing with positional info and text backgrounds (first stage
> cleanup).  As I have no clue to what extend users mess around with
> background graphics themselves, it's hard to predict side effects,
> but the biggest impact is speed. The adventurous might want to try
> out

Hi Hans,

there seems to be a typo in anch-pos.lua, line 100:

·································································
-            local r = collected[region]
+            local r = collected[tag]
·································································

(“region” references a boolean.)

Here’s an example that triggers the bug and works after the
patch is applied. I have no idea as to why this exact series of
macros causes the issue. Please have a look at it anyways because
the text background looks weird even after.

·································································
\definetextbackground[tb]
\setuptyping[
  after={\stoptextbackground},
  before={\starttextbackground[tb]},
]

\starttext

foo
\starttyping
bar
\stoptyping
baz

\starttabulate[|r|l|]
  \NC  foo \NC bar \AR
\stoptabulate%

\stoptext
·································································

Regards
Philipp

> \setuptextbackground
>   [mp=mpos:par:region,
>    method=mpos:par:region]
>
> or with some more visual tracing
>
> \setuptextbackground
>   [mp=mpos:par:region:kind,
>    method=mpos:par:region]
>
> A simple test with some 200 backgrounds brings down runtime with one
> second on my machine (not the fastest anyway).
>
> Apart from a performance gain, backgrounds are now also supported in
> regular multicolumns as well as in some specific mechanisms like
> tabulate and xtables. In xtables one needs to set region=yes in
> order to get the desired results. Actually, the region key is a new
> one in framed so anything that can be framed can also have fancy
> text  backgrounds.
>
> Yet another improvement is that (although rather untested) you can
> do things like
>
>     \starttextbackground[r] START
>     \dorecurse{10}{
>         \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }
>         \placefigure[right]{}{}
>         some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>         \placefigure[left]{}{}
>         some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>         \placefigure[right]{}{}
>         some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>     }
>     STOP \stoptextbackground
>     \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }
>
> and get more or less expected results. Keep in mind that it can
> never get perfect due to all kind of possible interference. Also,
> keep away from internals as they will quite certainly change.
>
> Hans

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: beta
@ 2012-02-16 18:30   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.02.2012 um 17:44 schrieb Otared Kavian:

> Hi Hans,
>
> Another small issue with the new beta (ConTeXt  ver: 2012.02.16 13:05 MKIV): the key « location= hanging » does not work anymore in enumerations.

Enumerations and descriptions use now the “alternative” key for the position of the title.

Wolfgang

* Re: beta
@ 2012-02-16 20:23     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2012-02-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 févr. 2012, at 19:30, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 16.02.2012 um 17:44 schrieb Otared Kavian:
>
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Another small issue with the new beta (ConTeXt  ver: 2012.02.16 13:05 MKIV): the key « location= hanging » does not work anymore in enumerations.
>
> Enumerations and descriptions use now the “alternative” key for the position of the title.
>
> Wolfgang

…Oh thanks Wolfgang… Somehow I missed the announcement of the change.
The following gives the desired result:

\defineenumeration[Exo]
	[alternative=hanging,
	width=fit,
	text={Exercise },
	stopper={.}]

Best regards: OK

* Re: [beta] anch-pos.lua
@ 2012-02-16 21:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-16 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-2-2012 19:01, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> On 2012-02-16 10:17, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a beta. Apart from some fixes, the biggest change is in
>> dealing with positional info and text backgrounds (first stage
>> cleanup).  As I have no clue to what extend users mess around with
>> background graphics themselves, it's hard to predict side effects,
>> but the biggest impact is speed. The adventurous might want to try
>> out
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> there seems to be a typo in anch-pos.lua, line 100:
>
> ·································································
> -            local r = collected[region]
> +            local r = collected[tag]
> ·································································
>
> (“region” references a boolean.)

not so much a typo but i'll add some more checks

> Here’s an example that triggers the bug and works after the
> patch is applied. I have no idea as to why this exact series of
> macros causes the issue. Please have a look at it anyways because
> the text background looks weird even after.
>
> ·································································
> \definetextbackground[tb]
> \setuptyping[
>    after={\stoptextbackground},
>    before={\starttextbackground[tb]},
> ]

add [location=paragraph]

> \starttext
>
> foo
> \starttyping
> bar
> \stoptyping
> baz
>
> \starttabulate[|r|l|]
>    \NC  foo \NC bar \AR
> \stoptabulate%

^^ missing \NC

> \stoptext
> ·································································
>
> Regards
> Philipp
>

>> \setuptextbackground
>>    [mp=mpos:par:region,
>>     method=mpos:par:region]
>>
>> or with some more visual tracing
>>
>> \setuptextbackground
>>    [mp=mpos:par:region:kind,
>>     method=mpos:par:region]
>>
>> A simple test with some 200 backgrounds brings down runtime with one
>> second on my machine (not the fastest anyway).
>>
>> Apart from a performance gain, backgrounds are now also supported in
>> regular multicolumns as well as in some specific mechanisms like
>> tabulate and xtables. In xtables one needs to set region=yes in
>> order to get the desired results. Actually, the region key is a new
>> one in framed so anything that can be framed can also have fancy
>> text  backgrounds.
>>
>> Yet another improvement is that (although rather untested) you can
>> do things like
>>
>>      \starttextbackground[r] START
>>      \dorecurse{10}{
>>          \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }
>>          \placefigure[right]{}{}
>>          some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>>          \placefigure[left]{}{}
>>          some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>>          \placefigure[right]{}{}
>>          some text before BEGIN \dorecurse{2}{\input ward } END some after
>>      }
>>      STOP \stoptextbackground
>>      \dorecurse{1}{\input ward }
>>
>> and get more or less expected results. Keep in mind that it can
>> never get perfect due to all kind of possible interference. Also,
>> keep away from internals as they will quite certainly change.
>>
>> Hans

>>                                            Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>>                Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2012-02-16 22:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-16 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-2-2012 19:30, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 16.02.2012 um 17:44 schrieb Otared Kavian:
>
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Another small issue with the new beta (ConTeXt  ver: 2012.02.16 13:05 MKIV): the key « location= hanging » does not work anymore in enumerations.
>
> Enumerations and descriptions use now the “alternative” key for the position of the title.

This is one of the things that I'm still considering ... alternative is
more consistent with other mechanisms. Also, notes use location for
where notes are placed.

We can consider some compatibility hack:

\setupenumerations
   [\c!alternative=\descriptionparameter\c!location,
    \c!location=\v!left]

\setupenumerations
   [\c!alternative=\descriptionparameter\c!location,
    \c!location=\v!left]

So, alternative wins but defaults to location.

Anyhow, eventually descriptions will have an 'installable alternatives'
mechanism like lists, although they differ too much to be shared.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [beta] anch-pos.lua
@ 2012-02-17  1:05     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2012-02-17  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-02-16 22:44, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 16-2-2012 19:01, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> >there seems to be a typo in anch-pos.lua, line 100:
> >
> >·································································
> >-            local r = collected[region]
> >+            local r = collected[tag]
> >·································································
> >
> >(“region” references a boolean.)
>
> not so much a typo but i'll add some more checks

The new code is solid.

> >Here’s an example that triggers the bug and works after the
> >patch is applied. I have no idea as to why this exact series of
> >macros causes the issue. Please have a look at it anyways because
> >the text background looks weird even after.
> >
> >·································································
> >\definetextbackground[tb]
> >\setuptyping[
> >   after={\stoptextbackground},
> >   before={\starttextbackground[tb]},
> >]
>
> add [location=paragraph]

Thanks, looks good now!

Philipp

@ 2012-02-17  8:50       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-17  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-2-2012 02:05, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> The new code is solid.

Of course one can always stretch it to the limit:

\setuptextbackground
   [mp=mpos:par:region,
    method=mpos:par:region]

\setupbodyfont[dejavu,10pt]

\showframe

\definetextbackground[r]
\definetextbackground[b]

\starttext

test \starttextbackground[b] \input ward

\parshape 5
     5cm 8cm
     4cm 8cm
     3cm 8cm