* Is it bibliography really problem for MKIV?
@ 2012-02-28 18:12 Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2012-02-28 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello ConTeXist..

I have an unusual question: Is it bibliography really such a big problem
for MKIV or I am unable to do?
Do you have some experience in the bibliography at MKIV? Can you refer
me to a source of information about this? Submitter thesis has a very
strict requirement to the list of bibliography. The numbering of
bibliographic items must be in the same order in which items are used in
the text. Moreover, in the form of AMS is, [1], [2], etc. I've tried
many hours, but I am absolutely not able to achieve the required form. I
do not believe that I will eventually have to write a thesis in LaTeX
because of the stupid request.
May possibly be some way around? It occurred to me to do an emergency
way. I want redefine of the \cite macro to macro \CITE. The \CITE macro
put me list the order bibliographic items  and then I arrange manually a
list of bibliographic entries. Or exist any external tools for that do it?

Thanx Jaroslav Hajtmar

* Re: Is it bibliography really problem for MKIV?
@ 2012-02-28 19:19 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
       [not found]   ` <4F4E8B81.6080804@gyza.cz>
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-02-28 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/28/12 7:12 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello ConTeXist..
>
> I have an unusual question: Is it bibliography really such a big problem
> for MKIV or I am unable to do?
> Do you have some experience in the bibliography at MKIV? Can you refer
> me to a source of information about this? Submitter thesis has a very
> strict requirement to the list of bibliography. The numbering of
> bibliographic items must be in the same order in which items are used in
> the text. Moreover, in the form of AMS is, [1], [2], etc. I've tried
> many hours, but I am absolutely not able to achieve the required form. I
> do not believe that I will eventually have to write a thesis in LaTeX
> because of the stupid request.
> May possibly be some way around? It occurred to me to do an emergency
> way. I want redefine of the \cite macro to macro \CITE. The \CITE macro
> put me list the order bibliographic items  and then I arrange manually a
> list of bibliographic entries. Or exist any external tools for that do it?
>
> Thanx Jaroslav Hajtmar

Your question is kind of vague, so it's difficult to give a meaningful
answer. Bibliographies in mkiv work; a few months ago, I finished a
scholarly volume with a bibliography of 600 entries. If you have a
precise question, you better provide a minimal example and show us what
doesn't work (or what you couldn't achieve). If you have worked many
hours, you must have something to show.

Best

Thomas

* Re: Is it bibliography really problem for MKIV?
@ 2012-02-28 19:25 ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2012-02-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

have you tried the following?

\setuppublications[alternative=ams, refcommand=num]

This sets the default cite style to [1], [2], ... You can also see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography and the bib module manual
which is linked from there.  Sorting the citations by the order in the
text are the default behavior, it could be set (in \setuppublications)
with sorttype=cite.

Hope that helps,
Stefan.

@ 2012-02-29 20:43   ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
       [not found]   ` <4F4E8B81.6080804@gyza.cz>
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2012-02-29 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Thomas.
Thanks for your interest in my problem.

My problem is that while simple basic aplication works fine,  in complex
applications (including components, images, tables etc) is not
bibliography in the correct order, or there are errors in the references
to literature.
During looking for the bugs spent much time, but to no avail. It seems
that somewhere there is a collision, which affects at first glance
unrelated things. When I bring a functional solution of a simple example
to complex applications, then it stops working.

One of the examples of strange collision I sent recently to the
conference (I send you it again). Captions of figures come in a special
way to the list of bibliography (as you see in the examples).

I'm trying to gradually phase out the activities section of code to find
out what causes problems.
So far to no avail! Find a minimal example of when it stops working is
not so simple.

In the meantime, perhaps enough to figure out why there is a mixing of
captions of figures with a list of literature.
The original project was done in MKII, where it worked somehow fine. In
the MKIV I am not able to win over that bibliography.
When  bibliography is working then at the expense of something else.

I send a few of simple minimal examples (including the resulting PDF
files.) in
http://public.hajtmar.com/files/tex/context/ntg-context/files-21-02-2012.zip

Can be some things (components, titles, sectioning, buffering) that
could affect the list of bibliography?

Many thanx
Jaroslav

@ 2012-03-01  9:08     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-03-01  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/29/2012 09:33 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello Thomas.
> Thanks for your interest in my problem.
>
> My problem is that while simple basic aplication works fine,  in complex
> applications (including components, images, tables etc) is not
> bibliography in the correct order, or there are errors in the references
> to literature.

I had a look at your examples. First, if the sequence of cited items is
important for you (and it is because you want sorttype=cite), I wouldn't
put citations and figures into a buffer, that's asking for trouble. That
leaves the problem with a \cite command within a caption. This looks
like a real bug to me; I hope Hans has the time to look into it. The
minimal example is:

\setupbibtex[database=sample]
\setuppublications[alternative=ams, sorttype=cite]

\starttext
citations are \cite[hh2010b] and \cite[hh2010a].

\placefigure[force][fig1]{Caption of figure \cite[Eijkhout1991]}
  		 {\externalfigure[fig1]}

\placepublications[criterium=cite]

\stoptext

All best

Thomas

* Re: Is it bibliography really problem for MKIV?
@ 2012-03-01  9:49       ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2012-03-01  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanx Thomas
Thank you dealt with my problem. Maybe I'm the first to met this bug (if
a mistake is it).
Regarding the use of buffers: I'll have to remake it, because everything
I have in principle based just on buffers.
If I could not give a citation link to figure caption then would be a
huge problem. I'd probably have to deal manually finding bibliography
items and direct write its numbers into captions to square brackets (ie
without cite referencing). Although I do not think, it could cause this
problem. He is occurs even if the citation not appears in caption of figure.

For me it is now very unfortunate that the thesis supervisor requires
strict order of bibliography as I wrote. I'll try to wait for a possible
correction, or try about hundred bibliographic items rearrange
"manually" so that it will by his requirement.
Once again, many thanks.
With greetings Jaroslav

@ 2012-03-01 10:09         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-03-01 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/01/2012 10:49 AM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Thanx Thomas
> Thank you dealt with my problem. Maybe I'm the first to met this bug (if
> a mistake is it).
> Regarding the use of buffers: I'll have to remake it, because everything
> I have in principle based just on buffers.
> If I could not give a citation link to figure caption then would be a
> huge problem. I'd probably have to deal manually finding bibliography
> items and direct write its numbers into captions to square brackets (ie
> without cite referencing). Although I do not think, it could cause this
> problem. He is occurs even if the citation not appears in caption of
> figure.
>
> For me it is now very unfortunate that the thesis supervisor requires
> strict order of bibliography as I wrote. I'll try to wait for a possible
> correction, or try about hundred bibliographic items rearrange
> "manually" so that it will by his requirement.
> Once again, many thanks.
> With greetings Jaroslav

Yes, it looks like nobody put \cite into captions before you, but I can
imagine that this is a fairly normal requirement in the sciences. So
this should in fact work, and you shouldn't have to do this manually,
this is a bug and should be fixed. The question is a bit how urgently
you need it. The bibliography mkiv code is something that only Hans can
touch, so the fix will come, but it will probably take him some time.

Best wishes

Thomas

* Re: Is it bibliography really problem for MKIV?
@ 2012-03-01 11:09           ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2012-03-01 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Thomas,
I have experimented a bit and found that the problem is not in the
presence of citation in the caption of figure.
It seems that the problem does not occur only when you insert a figure
without caption.

See the following example:

Jaroslav

\setupbibtex[database=sample]
\setuppublications[alternative=ams, sorttype=cite]

\starttext
citations are \cite[hh2010b] and \cite[hh2010a].

% \placefigure[force][fig1]{Caption of figure \cite[Eijkhout1991] with
citation} % with problem
%           {\externalfigure[fig1]}

% \placefigure[force, none][fig1]{} %Figure without caption - no problem
with bibliography
%            {\externalfigure[fig1]}

\placefigure[force][fig1]{Caption of figure without citation} % with
problem too