* overfull hbox on items
@ 2012-03-02 16:35 Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2012-03-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt NTG

This setting gives an overfull hbox of exactly 3 points:
\setupitemgroup[itemize][each]
[joinedup,packed]
[symbol=n,distance=3pt,
align=right,itemalign=flushright,
stopper={.\,}
]
In the logfile: Overfull \hbox (3.0pt too wide) detected at line 7

Changing to distance=4pt makes the hbox 4pt too wide.
Changing to distance=0pt (or delete parameter) makes the hbox fit.

Why is this?
Apart from cluttering the logfile, I guess this hbox overflow signals something that can be bettered.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: overfull hbox on items
@ 2012-03-02 20:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-02 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-3-2012 17:35, Meer, H. van der wrote:
> This setting gives an overfull hbox of exactly 3 points:
> \setupitemgroup[itemize][each]
> [joinedup,packed]
> [symbol=n,distance=3pt,
> align=right,itemalign=flushright,
> stopper={.\,}
> ]
> In the logfile: Overfull \hbox (3.0pt too wide) detected at line 7
>
> Changing to distance=4pt makes the hbox 4pt too wide.
> Changing to distance=0pt (or delete parameter) makes the hbox fit.
>
> Why is this?
> Apart from cluttering the logfile, I guess this hbox overflow signals something that can be bettered.

not always, if it looks ok to you you can just ignore it (or add
\dontcomplain) i.e. depending on alignment excessive content will lap
left or right anyway (an example: say that you number 1..9 and there is
one itemize with 10 items ... you might not want to change all widths
for this one case (and 10 is often rather ok, while 44 isn't)

the same can happen with margin texts, where in practice the width only
matters when you use backgrounds or have things side by side or ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE