* Bug in ConTeXt? Conflict in titles, sections and bibliography (was bibliography problems)
@ 2012-03-03  8:44 Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2012-03-03  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello ConTeXist.
I present an bug with which I have been seeing over the last few
versions of Context.
In collaboration with Thomas, who helped me find the perfect minimal
example, I managed to finally find out what is the core of my problem.
But it is perhaps deeper than at first glance. Bibliographic system is
today (last version of standalone) in conflict with results of \title
and \section commands.

I show in the example below, how strange it works ConTeXt, while using
inserting of the bibliography together with title and section commands.

I want show three cases of behavior of ConTeXt:

As you see below then:

1. When document is both without Title and without Section (both
commands are commented) then you see a problem with list of bibliography
- list of figures and list of bibliography are mixed.

2. When document is with Title (uncomment \title command) then you see
that bibliography is not working. You get errors in bibliography links
and ConTeXt do not include list of bibliography.

3. When document is with Section (uncomment \section command) then you
see that all is working now without any problems - links are right and
list of bibliography is correct too.

Additionally, you can track down and how it behaves ConTeXt when
inserting figure with or without captions (in case 1).

It really is a bug somewhere or doing something wrong?

Thanx Jaroslav

Here is minimal example:

\setupbibtex[database=sample]
\setuppublications[alternative=ams, sorttype=cite]

\starttext

%\section{Section} % When you uncomment this line you see, that
everything is OK, both bibliography links and list of bibliography works
fine
\title{Title} % When you uncomment this line you see, that bibliobraphy
links are broken and ConTeXt do not include list of bibliography

Citations are \cite[hh2010b] and \cite[hh2010a].

\placefigure[force][fig1]{Caption of figure \cite[Eijkhout1991] with
citation} % get "mixing" problem
            {\externalfigure[fig1]}

% \placefigure[force, none][fig1]{} % Figure without caption - no
problem with bibliography (both links and "mixing")
%            {\externalfigure[fig1]}

%\placefigure[force][fig1]{Caption of figure without citation} % you
see, that problem does not depend on whether the citation is inserted or not
%           {\externalfigure[fig1]}

\placepublications[criterium=cite]

\stoptext

* Re: Bug in ConTeXt? Conflict in titles, sections and bibliography (was bibliography problems)
@ 2012-03-05 16:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-3-2012 09:44, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello ConTeXist.
> I present an bug with which I have been seeing over the last few
> versions of Context.
> In collaboration with Thomas, who helped me find the perfect minimal
> example, I managed to finally find out what is the core of my problem.
> But it is perhaps deeper than at first glance. Bibliographic system is
> today (last version of standalone) in conflict with results of \title
> and \section commands.
>
> I show in the example below, how strange it works ConTeXt, while using
> inserting of the bibliography together with title and section commands.

It's not that strange. The criterium=cite is in fact a criterium=here in
the list resolver. Lists can be called up for each section (or level)
but as soon as you mess with structure you need to be a bitmore
explicit. In this case, you can try criterium=local. Of course we could
make criterium=cite fall back on that in the case of a unnumbered
structure (which is what title implies) but I'm not so sure of other
side effects. So, I'm hesitant to change something to solve this
bordercase.

In general, when using some extra structure, like fontmatter, it gets
easier to call up (local) lists.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE