* Problem with external cross-references
@ 2012-02-25 16:47 Jean-Philippe Rey
From: Jean-Philippe Rey @ 2012-02-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to use external cross-references between two files but I can't make it work with MkIV. I am using ConTeXt current

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.7.31  int: english/english

With MkII, the following minimal example works perfectly well :

% file test_crossref1
\starttext
\chapter[lorem]{Lorem}
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
\stoptext

% file test_crossref2
\usereferences[test_crossref1]
\starttext
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
\stoptext

However with MkIV, I get an unknown reference (??) in test_crossref2 and the following lines in test_crossref2.log

[...]
system          > references from other files are handled automatically
[...]
references      > unknown reference [][lorem]
[...]

With

% file test_crossref2
\starttext
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[test_crossref1::lorem].
\stoptext

I still get an unknown reference (??) and the following diagnosis in the log file
[...]
references      > references from document 'test_crossref1' are not exported
references      > unknown reference [][test_crossref1::lorem]
[...]

However when I add the export option in the test_crossref1 file

% file test_crossref1
\setupreferencing[export=yes]
\starttext
\chapter[lorem]{Lorem}
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
\stoptext

I get an error at compile time. Below is the full log file. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong ?

Thank you for your help.

(test_crossref1.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.7.31  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(/Users/jprey/ConTeXt-2011.05.18/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > test_crossref1.top loaded
system          > options > begin of optionfile
system          > options >
system          > options > % runtime options files (command line driven)
system          > options > \unprotect
system          > options > % feedback and basic job control
system          > options > % handy for special styles
system          > options > \startluacode
system          > options > document = document or { }
system          > options > document.arguments={
system          > options >  ["arrange"]=true,
system          > options >  ["synctex"]=true,
system          > options > }
system          > options > document.files={
system          > options >  "test_crossref1.tex",
system          > options > }
system          > options > \stopluacode
system          > options > % process info
system          > options > \setupsystem[inputfile=test_crossref1.tex]
system          > options > \setupsystem[\c!n=1,\c!m=1]
system          > options > % modes
system          > options > % options (not that important)
system          > options > \startsetups *runtime:options
system          > options > \setuparranging[\v!disable]
system          > options > \stopsetups
system          > options > % styles and modules
system          > options > \startsetups *runtime:modules
system          > options > \stopsetups
system          > options > % done
system          > options > \protect \endinput
system          > options >
system          > options > end of optionfile
(test_crossref1.top)
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
{/Users/jprey/ConTeXt-2011.05.18/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
(/Users/jprey/ConTeXt-2011.05.18/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv) (/Users/jprey/ConTeXt-2011.05.18/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv){/Users/jprey/ConTeXt-2011.05.18/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{/Users/jprey/ConTeXt-2011.05.18/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}
fonts           > virtual math > unable to resolve name mapsfromchar
fonts           > fallback modern rm 12pt is loaded
system          > begin file test_crossref1.tex at line 2
structure       > sectioning > chapter @ level 2 : 0.1 -> Lorem
references      > unknown reference [][lorem]
backend         > xmp > using file '/Users/jprey/ConTeXt-2011.05.18/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
system          > end file test_crossref1.tex at line 7
! LuaTeX error ...0731/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/strc-ref.lua:560: attempt to index global 'jobpages' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...0731/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/strc-ref.lua:560: in function 'referencer'
	...0731/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/strc-ref.lua:609: in function 'export'
	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.

system          > tex > error on line 7 in file test_crossref1.tex: LuaTeX error  ...

1     \setupreferencing[export=yes]
2     \starttext
3     \chapter[lorem]{Lorem}
4
5     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
6
7 >>  \stoptext

<argument> ...lua {structures.references.export()}

\firstofoneargument #1->#1

\finalend ...se \the \everybye \the \everygoodbye
                                                  \doifsometokselse \everyno...
l.7 \stoptext

?
! Emergency stop.

system          > tex > error on line 7 in file test_crossref1.tex: Emergency stop ...

1     \setupreferencing[export=yes]
2     \starttext
3     \chapter[lorem]{Lorem}
4
5     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
6
7 >>  \stoptext

<argument> ...lua {structures.references.export()}

\firstofoneargument #1->#1

\finalend ...se \the \everybye \the \everygoodbye
                                                  \doifsometokselse \everyno...
l.7 \stoptext

End of file on the terminal!

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

--
Jean-Philippe Rey                 Professeur - École Centrale Paris
jean-philippe.rey@ecp.fr          92295 Châtenay-Malabry Cedex - France

* Re: Problem with external cross-references
@ 2012-03-02 19:59 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-02 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25-2-2012 17:47, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm trying to use external cross-references between two files but I can't make it work with MkIV. I am using ConTeXt current
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.7.31  int: english/english
>

> With MkII, the following minimal example works perfectly well :
>
> % file test_crossref1
> \starttext
> \chapter[lorem]{Lorem}
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
> \stoptext
>
> % file test_crossref2
> \usereferences[test_crossref1]
> \starttext
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
> \stoptext

\useexternaldocument[xref][test_crossref1]

\starttext
     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
\in{Chapter}[xref::lorem].
\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-03-04  0:44   ` Jean-Philippe Rey
From: Jean-Philippe Rey @ 2012-03-04  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

Le 2 mars 2012 à 20:59, Hans Hagen a écrit :

> On 25-2-2012 17:47, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm trying to use external cross-references between two files but I can't make it work with MkIV. I am using ConTeXt current
>>
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.7.31  int: english/english
>>

>> With MkII, the following minimal example works perfectly well :
>>
>> % file test_crossref1
>> \starttext
>> \chapter[lorem]{Lorem}
>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
>> \stoptext
>>
>> % file test_crossref2
>> \usereferences[test_crossref1]
>> \starttext
>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
>> \stoptext
>
> \useexternaldocument[xref][test_crossref1]
>
> \starttext
>    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[xref::lorem].
> \stoptext

Thank you for your answer, but it doesn't work. I still get an undefined reference and the following lines in the log file

references      > references from document 'test_crossref1' are not exported
references      > unknown reference [][xref::lorem]

--

@ 2012-03-05  9:18     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-05  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4-3-2012 01:44, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> Le 2 mars 2012 à 20:59, Hans Hagen a écrit :
>
>> On 25-2-2012 17:47, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use external cross-references between two files but I can't make it work with MkIV. I am using ConTeXt current
>>>
>>> ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.7.31  int: english/english

That version is quite old; I wouldn't be surprised if in that version
current version doesn't use the mkii way anyway (no export option,
different loading etc).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-03-08 17:30       ` Jean-Philippe Rey
From: Jean-Philippe Rey @ 2012-03-08 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

Le 5 mars 2012 à 10:18, Hans Hagen a écrit :

> That version is quite old; I wouldn't be surprised if in that version loading of cross document references was not yet implemented fully. The current version doesn't use the mkii way anyway (no export option, different loading etc).

If I am not mistaken, this is the last current (=stable) version. I have been using MkII for some time and I wanted to switch to MkIV as it seems the way to go. However I am not comfortable using a beta version for production purpose, especially as I am using ConTeXt to write test questions where a small misprint could have tragic consequences.

Should I stick to MkII and wait for the next stable version ? Or is there a reasonably stable (e.g. pre-release) version that I could use ?

--

@ 2012-03-10 11:41         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-10 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-3-2012 18:30, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:

>> That version is quite old; I wouldn't be surprised if in that version loading of cross document references was not yet implemented fully. The current version doesn't use the mkii way anyway (no export option, different loading etc).
>
> If I am not mistaken, this is the last current (=stable) version. I have been using MkII for some time and I wanted to switch to MkIV as it seems the way to go. However I am not comfortable using a beta version for production purpose, especially as I am using ConTeXt to write test questions where a small misprint could have tragic consequences.
>
> Should I stick to MkII and wait for the next stable version ? Or is there a reasonably stable (e.g. pre-release) version that I could use ?

It depends ... here I use mkiv exclusively for years already. It is
however a fact that currently some mechanisms are being rewritten so
betas will be betas indeed.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE