* ruby for vertical layout
       [not found] <mailman.2708.1331386188.4232.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-03-10 20:32 ` S Barmeier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Is there something like ruby for vertical layout?

* hyphenation of hyphenated words
       [not found] <mailman.2708.1331386188.4232.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-03-10 20:52 ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

non-standard breaks as

non-stan-
dard

Is there a way to tell context to break the word at the hyphen that
already exists?

* Re: hyphenation of hyphenated words
@ 2012-03-10 20:56   ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2012-03-10 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

S Barmeier <severinbarmeier@googlemail.com> writes:

> non-standard breaks as
>
> non-stan-
> dard
>
> Is there a way to tell context to break the word at the hyphen that
> already exists?

\setbreakpoints[compound] should do the trick.

Cheers

--
Marco

* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 93, Issue 36
       [not found] <mailman.2708.1331386188.4232.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-03-11  7:14 ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-11  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> I use a Korean unfont as main fonts and an English fonts as fallback font using the following type script file which is made by the help of Hans and D.H. Kim.
> You may set fonts similarly.
>
> Korean fonts contained Chinese glyph(not all of them) and Japanese glyph, we don't have any problem to use them.
>
> I hope that it may help you to find a solution of your problem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dalyoung

Thank you. I tried to adapt this (see below), but I'm not sure how to
invoke this typescript. There are \usetypescript \setupbodyfont and
\setmainfont from the simplefonts module, none of which seem to do what
I want... Could you enlighten me?

Many thanks,
Severin

\definefontfeature[jpdefault][mode=node,script=hang,lang=jap]
\def\mydefaultfeatures{kern=yes;liga=yes;tlig=yes;trep=yes}
\def\mysmallcapsfeatures{\mydefaultfeatures;smcp=yes}
% Font fallbacks for Latin alphabet
\definefontfallback[serifwhatever][gentium:\mydefaultfeatures][0x0000-0x0400][force=yes]
\definefontfallback[serifboldwhatever][gentiumbasicbold:\mydefaultfeatures][0x0000-0x0400][force=yes]
\definefontfallback[serifitalicwhatever][gentiumitalic:\mydefaultfeatures][0x0000-0x0400][force=yes]
\definefontfallback[serifbolditalicwhatever][gentiumbasicbolditalic:\mydefaultfeatures][0x0000-0x0400][force=yes]
\definefontfallback[serifboldslantedwhatever][gentiumbasicbold:\myslantfeatures][0x0000-0x0400][force=yes]
\definefontfallback[serifcapswhatever][gentium:\mysmallcapsfeatures][0x0000-0x0400][force=yes]
\definefontfallback[sanswhatever][andikabasic:\mydefaultfeatures][0x0000-0x0400][force=yes]
% IPA Fonts
\starttypescript[serif][IPAexMincho]
\definefontsynonym[ipaexmincho][ipaexm.ttf][features=jpdefault,fallbacks=serifwhatever]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[serif][IPAexMincho][name]
\definefontsynonym[Serif][ipaexmincho]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[sans][IPAexGothic]
\definefontsynonym[ipaexgothic][ipaexg.ttf][features=jpdefault,fallbacks=sanswhatever]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[sans][IPAexGothic][name]
\definefontsynonym[Sans][ipaexgothic]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[mono][KanjiStrokeOrders]
\definefontsynonym[kanjistrokeorders][KanjiStrokeOrders_v2.015.ttf][features=jpdefault,fallbacks=monowhatever]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[mono][KanjiStrokeOrders][name]
\definefontsynonym[Mono][kanjistrokeorders]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[MyIPAex]
\definetypeface[Myface][rm][serif][IPAexMincho]
\definetypeface[Myface][ss][sans] [IPAexGothic]
\definetypeface[Myface][tt][mono] [KanjiStrokeOrders]
\stoptypescript

* Re: ruby for vertical layout
@ 2012-03-11  8:51   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-11  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.03.2012 um 21:32 schrieb S Barmeier:

> Is there something like ruby for vertical layout?

For vertical typesetting you can also use ruby.

Wolfgang

* Re: ruby for vertical layout
@ 2012-03-11  8:57     ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-11  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Is there something like ruby for vertical layout?
>
> For vertical typesetting you can also use ruby.
>
> Wolfgang

OK, how do I use the vertical ruby in horizontal text?

* Re: ruby for vertical layout
@ 2012-03-11  9:05       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-11  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.03.2012 um 09:57 schrieb S Barmeier:

>>> Is there something like ruby for vertical layout?
>>
>> For vertical typesetting you can also use ruby.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> OK, how do I use the vertical ruby in horizontal text?

That’s not supported, you can only use horizontal ruby in horizontal text and vertical ruby in vertical text.

Wolfgang

* Re: ruby for vertical layout
@ 2012-03-11  9:18         ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-11  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>>> For vertical typesetting you can also use ruby.
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> OK, how do I use the vertical ruby in horizontal text?
>
> That’s not supported, you can only use horizontal ruby in horizontal text and vertical ruby in vertical text.
>
> Wolfgang

I see. Attaching the ruby changes the line height, so I assume the
bounding box for the character+ruby compound is adjusted accordingly. In
that case, would it be possible to force using a vertical layout for
ruby? I guess if \ruby inherit the text orientation from the main text,
this will be less straight-forward...

Thank you.
Severin

* Re: ruby for vertical layout
@ 2012-03-11  9:28           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-11  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.03.2012 um 10:18 schrieb S Barmeier:

>>> OK, how do I use the vertical ruby in horizontal text?
>>
>> That’s not supported, you can only use horizontal ruby in horizontal text and vertical ruby in vertical text.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> I see. Attaching the ruby changes the line height, so I assume the
> bounding box for the character+ruby compound is adjusted accordingly. In
> that case, would it be possible to force using a vertical layout for
> ruby? I guess if \ruby inherit the text orientation from the main text,
> this will be less straight-forward…

Something like "inter-character“ (see http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ruby/#ruby-position) positioning
for text isn’t the problem but it’s yet not part of the ruby module.

Wolfgang

* Re: ruby for vertical layout
@ 2012-03-11  9:35             ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-11  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> That’s not supported, you can only use horizontal ruby in horizontal text and vertical ruby in vertical text.
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> I see. Attaching the ruby changes the line height, so I assume the
>> bounding box for the character+ruby compound is adjusted accordingly. In
>> that case, would it be possible to force using a vertical layout for
>> ruby? I guess if \ruby inherit the text orientation from the main text,
>> this will be less straight-forward…
>
> Something like "inter-character“ (see http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ruby/#ruby-position) positioning
> for text isn’t the problem but it’s yet not part of the ruby module.
>
> Wolfgang

Is there anything I can do to make it part of the module, maybe? I guess
I would have to look at the Alignment & Positioning parts of the module...?

Severin

* Re: More CJK fall-back fonts (S Barmeier)
       [not found] <mailman.2708.1331386188.4232.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-03-11 11:54 ` dalyoung
From: dalyoung @ 2012-03-11 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Severin,

Try the following in the preamble.

\usetypescriptfile[your-typescript file-name]%if you save it as another file.
\usetypescript[MyIPAex]
\setupbodyfont[Myface, rm, 12pt]

I hope that it helps you.
If it doesn't work for you, then other experts can tell you something.

Simplefont is a good module which makes font-definition easy. But the different style of the name of Korean fonts hindered me to use it.  There may be a way to use simplefont for Korean fonts which I don't know yet.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: hyphenation of hyphenated words
@ 2012-03-11 14:00   ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]     ` <4F5CBC0E.4040107@googlemail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-3-2012 21:52, S Barmeier wrote:
> non-standard breaks as
>
> non-stan-
> dard
>
> Is there a way to tell context to break the word at the hyphen that
> already exists?

\hyphenation{bla-bla-bla}

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

       [not found]       ` <4F5DB3AC.4060403@wxs.nl>
@ 2012-03-13  4:28         ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-13  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

non-standard still breaks as

non-stan-
dard

the stan- protruding from the text-block, whilst the rest of the line is
compressed as much as possible... Maybe context thinks, if it breaks at
the hyphen you can't tell that there was meant to be a hyphen, so to be
clear it uses two...?

I can't make much sense of it.

Severin

On 03/12/2012 01:58 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 11-3-2012 15:51, S Barmeier wrote:

>>> \hyphenation{bla-bla-bla}
>>>
>>> Hans
>> Before \starttext after \starttext, \hyphenation{non-standard} is
>> resisting... (see attached) Setting \hyphenation{non-standard}, I'm
>> surprised it breaks like \hyphenation{non-stan\-dard}...
>
> You need to make sure that a language is set and patterns are loaded.
>
> \mainlanguage[en]
> \hyphenation{bla-bla}
>
>> Thank you,
>> Severin
>>
>> P.S.: Is there a way to break words without adding a hyphen, e.g.
>> beginner/intermediate/advanced breaking into
>>
>> beginner/
>> intermediate/advanced?

* Re: More CJK fall-back fonts
@ 2012-03-13  5:01   ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-03-13  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/11/2012 05:24 PM, dalyoung wrote:
> Dear Severin,
>
> Try the following in the preamble.
>
> \usetypescriptfile[your-typescript file-name]%if you save it as another file.
> \usetypescript[MyIPAex]
> \setupbodyfont[Myface, rm, 12pt]
>
> I hope that it helps you.
> If it doesn't work for you, then other experts can tell you something.
>
> Simplefont is a good module which makes font-definition easy. But the different style of the name of Korean fonts hindered me to use it.  There may be a way to use simplefont for Korean fonts which I don't know yet.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dalyoung

Works! Many thanks indeed.

Severin