* switching to a different math font (with alternatives) in the middle of document
@ 2012-05-10  0:25 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-05-10  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm just wonderding if there is a way to switch to an OpenType Math
font (referred to by name or filename, without any predefined
typescript) with some stylistic alternative in the middle of the
document, like in the LaTeX example:

running text ... \setmathfont[Scale=0.86,StylisticSet=4]{Lucida Bright
Math OT} $\mathcal{ABC XYZ}$~(StylisticSet=4) ...
running text ... \setmathfont{Asana Math} $\mathfrak{ABC XYZ\,abc xyz}$

or do I always need to provide a predefined typescript? How does one
switch between stylistic alternatives for math?

I have a problem with {\switchtobodyfont[asana] $\mathscript ABC
XYZ\,abc xyz$} and I also need to figure out how to get "math bold
italic sans serif greek alphabet". Any hints welcome.

Thank you,
    Mojca

* Re: switching to a different math font (with alternatives) in the middle of document
@ 2012-05-10  0:29 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-05-10  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just wonderding if there is a way to switch to an OpenType Math
> font (referred to by name or filename, without any predefined
> typescript) with some stylistic alternative in the middle of the
> document, like in the LaTeX example:
>
> running text ... \setmathfont[Scale=0.86,StylisticSet=4]{Lucida Bright
> Math OT} $\mathcal{ABC XYZ}$~(StylisticSet=4) ...
> running text ... \setmathfont{Asana Math} $\mathfrak{ABC XYZ\,abc xyz}$
>
> or do I always need to provide a predefined typescript? How does one
> switch between stylistic alternatives for math?
>
> I have a problem with {\switchtobodyfont[asana] $\mathscript ABC
> XYZ\,abc xyz$} and I also need to figure out how to get "math bold
> italic sans serif greek alphabet". Any hints welcome.

PS: I forgot to send "a minimal example". Here it is :)
    http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/talks/day3_05_ulrik_opentype/Samples/math-test-alphabet.tex
    http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/talks/day3_05_ulrik_opentype/Samples/math-test-alphabet.pdf

@ 2012-05-10  8:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-10  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-5-2012 02:25, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just wonderding if there is a way to switch to an OpenType Math
> font (referred to by name or filename, without any predefined
> typescript) with some stylistic alternative in the middle of the
> document, like in the LaTeX example:

Sure, when Khaled added alternates to xits we also added support for it
to mkiv.

\setupbodyfont[xits]

\starttext

     \unexpanded\def\mathaltcal{\mathalternate{cal}\cal}

     $ABC$
     $\cal ABC$
     $\mathalternate{cal}\cal ABC$
     $\mathaltcal ABC$

\stoptext

As this can differ per font, we use symbolic names, and these are
defined in the lfg files. This functionality is there already for some
time but probably not wikified (there are examples in the test suite).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-05-10  8:05   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-5-2012 02:29, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> PS: I forgot to send "a minimal example". Here it is :)
>      http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/talks/day3_05_ulrik_opentype/Samples/math-test-alphabet.tex
>      http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/talks/day3_05_ulrik_opentype/Samples/math-test-alphabet.pdf

my editor cannot open minimal examples with more than 10 lines

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-05-10  8:08     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-05-10  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> my editor cannot open
latex

--
luigi

* Re: switching to a different math font (with alternatives) in the middle of document
@ 2012-05-10  8:15     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-05-10  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 May 2012 10:05:49 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 10-5-2012 02:29, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > PS: I forgot to send "a minimal example". Here it is :)
> >      http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/talks/day3_05_ulrik_opentype/Samples/math-test-alphabet.tex
> >      http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/talks/day3_05_ulrik_opentype/Samples/math-test-alphabet.pdf
>
> my editor cannot open minimal examples with more than 10 lines
>
> Hans

You must not be using the same editor (and TeX) as Mojca :)

Alan

* Re: switching to a different math font (with alternatives) in the middle of document
@ 2012-05-10  8:25   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-05-10  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 10-5-2012 02:25, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm just wonderding if there is a way to switch to an OpenType Math
>> font (referred to by name or filename, without any predefined
>> typescript) with some stylistic alternative in the middle of the
>> document, like in the LaTeX example:
>

> Sure, when Khaled added alternates to xits we also added support for it to
> mkiv.
>
> \setupbodyfont[xits]

But this requires a whole typescript. So there is no way to say
something equivalent to
    \font\a=Asana-Math.otf \a
without the need to create a lfg file & so on?

Anyway, your example with Asana broke a compilation, so at least I was
able to realize that I was missing the otf font, whereas yesterday it
was simply ignoring the fact that the font was missing and has typeset
everything in TeX Gyre I think.

> \starttext
>
>    \unexpanded\def\mathaltcal{\mathalternate{cal}\cal}

And how do I know what is an equivalent of StylisticSet=4 in Lucida?

Would this be something like
    italic = { feature = 'ss01', value = 1, comment = "Mathematical
Alternative Italic" },

where \mathalternate{italic} works as +ss01, but the ss04 not because
it has not been defined in lucida-opentype-math.lfg?

@ 2012-05-10  9:01     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-5-2012 10:25, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 10-5-2012 02:25, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm just wonderding if there is a way to switch to an OpenType Math
>>> font (referred to by name or filename, without any predefined
>>> typescript) with some stylistic alternative in the middle of the
>>> document, like in the LaTeX example:
>>

>> Sure, when Khaled added alternates to xits we also added support for it to
>> mkiv.
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[xits]
>
> But this requires a whole typescript. So there is no way to say

Why? It's a dynamic feature. It's just that we use nicer names than ss01
and such.

> something equivalent to
>      \font\a=Asana-Math.otf \a
> without the need to create a lfg file&  so on?

I'm not sure what you mean here. You can use \font directly but it has
no benefits as it's not part of a proper math setup then.

> Anyway, your example with Asana broke a compilation, so at least I was
> able to realize that I was missing the otf font, whereas yesterday it
> was simply ignoring the fact that the font was missing and has typeset
> everything in TeX Gyre I think.

I never used Asana.

>> \starttext
>>
>>     \unexpanded\def\mathaltcal{\mathalternate{cal}\cal}
>
> And how do I know what is an equivalent of StylisticSet=4 in Lucida?

Well, that's just ss04 but referring to a stylistic set at the user
level is a bad idea as that's not standardized

> Would this be something like
>      italic = { feature = 'ss01', value = 1, comment = "Mathematical
> Alternative Italic" },

Indeed.

> where \mathalternate{italic} works as +ss01, but the ss04 not because
> it has not been defined in lucida-opentype-math.lfg?

Indeed, although of course I could make it honor the fuzzy ss01 etc
variants too but no one can guarantee that these ss's always stay the
same. In principle we can even define commands automatically if needed
but then switching to a different font setup in a document can result in
unknown commands. After all, there can be 10 different alternate scripts
in one font and zero in another.

>>     $ABC$
>>     $\cal ABC$
>>     $\mathalternate{cal}\cal ABC$
>>     $\mathaltcal ABC$
>>
>> \stoptext

Once the dust around math fonts has settled we might end up with some
standardization in mkiv with respect to the tags used in the lfg files.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE